A few questions from a fresher to be!! Watch

Burnt_Toast
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I got into aber!! I'm still waiting to see which accomodation I've been placed into...but! do any of them have any rules about playing music and or singing if your of the musical persuasion? Obviously the feelings of your flat mates will dictate whether you can play guitar til 2am but is there any general rule?

Erm, also! I'm doing english and creative writing, is there a reading list atall?

Is it possible to get a cheap and old TV down in the actual town? I have a N64 (retro I know) that is coming with me and I need something to plug it into!

And finally, whos up for a drink during freshers? I'll get a few rounds in!

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!

See you all in september!
Crisps
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There is a general rule about noise, you are not supposed to make excessive noise between 11:00pm and 7:30am (I think it changes to 10:00-7:30 during exams. It is also a part of your contract, and you can get kicked out/moved if you are an excessive offender.

As for a reading list, you will get this as you start your course. Once you get here you'll have access to something called 'Blackboard', which will have some of your lectures (provided they are Powerpoint presentations) online. In each module page you'll get a reading list for that module.
Redefined
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You could also e-mail or telephone the department your going to and ask them for a reading list over summer.
DafyddLlyr
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Coming from an Aber local, getting cheap tellys aint a problem at all at all Aberystwyth (and Ceredigion infact) has something called CRAFT (Ceredigion Recycling And Furniture Team) who basically collect old stuff from people, to recycle and sell on. They used to have a big big centre down in Queen's Road, but now it's right next to the station.

You'll be able to pick up a telly for cheap there for sure. Last time I went they had quite a few for around £15, and like big ones too. I mean they were old and second hand, but all certified and checked and working, so who cares. Also, the retro look will match the N64 It's really worth checking out this place, loads of random stuff for good prices. Right by the train station.

Hope that helps!

Edit : I forgot to mention that Students get a 25% discount on everything on top. You might need to bring some ID that says you're a student though mind you.
yankeeCate
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Daf- Nice one!! I've never heard of that place before! Do they sell game console's too? Like playstation or anything (my flatmates and I are trying to find something cheap!).

Also, about reading lists. I know the politics dept sends one out with your fresher's pack..otherwise, you could go on the dep't website and check.
Burnt_Toast
Thanks! very useful stuff there
DafyddLlyr
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by yankeeCate)
Daf- Nice one!! I've never heard of that place before! Do they sell game console's too? Like playstation or anything (my flatmates and I are trying to find something cheap!)
Haven't been there in a while (since they moved infact) but I've seen a SNES with loads of games there before, for £20. Best thing to do is to pop in now and again and see what's there, might also be a good idea to get down there before a big rush at the start of term.

Quite often it's pot luck what's there, and it changes quite often as well. If it's rubbish first time you go, try again a few weeks later maybe
Dervish
Report 12 years ago
Hey! I'm going to be doing English Lit. and Creative Writing, too! And I play guitar! And I love N64 Do you have Perfect Dark? And Mario Kart? Oh, and I'm definitely up for a drink in Aber :P

Oh yeah, and regarding your question about reading lists, I was sent one a few days before results day, although presumably there'll be one in the Fresher's pack too. I can type it up for you if you want?
Noshi
Report 12 years ago
yay N64!! I love(d) Mario Kart, Banjo and kazooie (is that spelt right?), The legend of Zelda, Super Smash Bros. ... and there were a few more!!!

So where does everyone head to start drinking? the union?
Burnt_Toast
probably, i'll meet you for a drink then lol
BurnOutOrFadeAway
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ooh a N64 thats virtually new compared to my Snes which i love! hadnt even thought of brinnging it may do now.
and i'm up for a drink... need to meet lots of people!
jenifa
Report 12 years ago
I'm up for a drink during freshers!
Burnt_Toast
i think every fresher is up for a drink during freshers the best way to break the ice is over a pint, if i can find you people il gladly get a round in lol
Crisps
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My flat mates got me drunk on absinthe during freshers....

Never again.

If you see me I will show you the art of pennying (or 2p'ing)
Burnt_Toast
il just wander around aimlessly shouting "crisps!" near 2nd year students, il find you eventually.
Crisps
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:rolleyes:

Hint - go to the PJM bridge and stay there for 24 hors, I'll roll along eventually.
ikyle
Report 12 years ago
im up for a pint or 10
Dervish
Report 12 years ago
We should so organize a drink here and now!
Burnt_Toast
id say meet me at my place of residence...but i dont know it yet

but we should organise a drinking session!
tRoe
Report 12 years ago
Sounds good! I'm up for a few drinks, especially on the Sat we go down coz it's my 19th and I'd like to celebrate in style!
--
Tom
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (279)
27.51%
No (735)
72.49%

Watched Threads