Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going to start Uni in September, studying Illustration. I was undecided whether to do Illustration or Fine Art but chose to apply to do Illustration as I assumed it would be more usable and would give me design skills that Fine Art may not give me. My family were also a bit cautious about Fine Art in terms of job prospects and encouraged me to do Illustration as there would be a better chance of me getting a job... I don't know if this is right as Fine Artists and Illustrators both work freelance.

Anyway, recently I haven't been drawing nearly as much as I used to. I just don't find it enjoyable anymore.

I've recently gotten myself a part time retail job and love earning money and think that maybe I should just get a job and work my way up rather than go to Uni? I see drawing now as just a hobby rather than a career... Should I take a year out to get a job and some work experience? I'm really interested in health and beauty so maybe I could get a job in that field?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bumble123)
    Hi, I'm going to start Uni in September, studying Illustration. I was undecided whether to do Illustration or Fine Art but chose to apply to do Illustration as I assumed it would be more usable and would give me design skills that Fine Art may not give me. My family were also a bit cautious about Fine Art in terms of job prospects and encouraged me to do Illustration as there would be a better chance of me getting a job... I don't know if this is right as Fine Artists and Illustrators both work freelance.

Anyway, recently I haven't been drawing nearly as much as I used to. I just don't find it enjoyable anymore.

I've recently gotten myself a part time retail job and love earning money and think that maybe I should just get a job and work my way up rather than go to Uni? I see drawing now as just a hobby rather than a career... Should I take a year out to get a job and some work experience? I'm really interested in health and beauty so maybe I could get a job in that field?
    My friend is studying Illustration in university and she feels such a course is vital, as it is the perfect opportunity to network as well as dedicating time to improve your skills. However, she is determined to have a career in Illustration. As you're having doubts about it, if I were you I'd consider asking your university to defer a year and try and work instead. It'll either give you the chance to regain your passion for illustration, or give you the opportunity to discover what you want to do instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sliceofcake)
    My friend is studying Illustration in university and she feels such a course is vital, as it is the perfect opportunity to network as well as dedicating time to improve your skills. However, she is determined to have a career in Illustration. As you're having doubts about it, if I were you I'd consider asking your university to defer a year and try and work instead. It'll either give you the chance to regain your passion for illustration, or give you the opportunity to discover what you want to do instead.
    This.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.