Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My boyfriend and I have been going out for 10 months. The first time he ever said I love you was by text on New Years Day but I didn't reply. (I said Happy New Year first, he replied Happy New Year, love you) He then said it a few more times on facebook to which I didn't say it back either. These were all times where the conversation was at a point where I didn't need to reply like above, so it was fine, but then when he said it (again on facebook) at a point where I would be expected to reply I did say it back. It wasn't until around March that I felt like I really love him. The only time he has said it in person was also around March and I said it back. Then I said it to him first in person around April. So basically each of us has said I love you to the other only once in person and this was months ago. Now it's almost always him but only occasionally and it's never in person (always facebook or text). It's also never spontaneous i.e. only after something like wishing me well in an exam. I feel like he should be saying it more by 10 months but I might just be being silly? Tomorrow will be a year since I met him and I was thinking about telling him again but don't know if I should or if I should wait for him to say it first again since I was the one who said it last in person?

Simpler version:
    Been going out with my boyfriend for 10 months. He occasionally says he loves me on facebook/ text, but has only said it once in person which was ages ago. Then another time I told him I love him in person but this was also a couple of months ago. Is this abnormal for a 10 month relationship? Should I say it in person again or wait for him?

ReputationRep:
    He's probably reluctant to keep saying because of all the times you haven't said it back to him.

ReputationRep:
    Are you above the age of 15? If you are, stop texting so much, have a real relationship, and freakin' tell the guy what's on your mind! :hippie:

ReputationRep:
    If it's almost always him and not you then why are you complaining?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My boyfriend and I have been going out for 10 months. The first time he ever said I love you was by text on New Years Day but I didn't reply. (I said Happy New Year first, he replied Happy New Year, love you) He then said it a few more times on facebook to which I didn't say it back either. These were all times where the conversation was at a point where I didn't need to reply like above, so it was fine, but then when he said it (again on facebook) at a point where I would be expected to reply I did say it back. It wasn't until around March that I felt like I really love him. The only time he has said it in person was also around March and I said it back. Then I said it to him first in person around April. So basically each of us has said I love you to the other only once in person and this was months ago. Now it's almost always him but only occasionally and it's never in person (always facebook or text). It's also never spontaneous i.e. only after something like wishing me well in an exam. I feel like he should be saying it more by 10 months but I might just be being silly? Tomorrow will be a year since I met him and I was thinking about telling him again but don't know if I should or if I should wait for him to say it first again since I was the one who said it last in person?

Simpler version:
    Been going out with my boyfriend for 10 months. He occasionally says he loves me on facebook/ text, but has only said it once in person which was ages ago. Then another time I told him I love him in person but this was also a couple of months ago. Is this abnormal for a 10 month relationship? Should I say it in person again or wait for him?
    Just say it when you feel like it. It isn't a question of taking turns but emotion. You say it, write it, when you feel it.

I'm not too sure what you mean by saying it's not spontaneous etc. sounds pretty spontaneous to me ie unprompted.

He's probably feeling that he doesn't want to say it too often because you don't and he may feel that he's putting pressure on you to say something you don't feel.

I think the problems come when one person says it and it's not returned. Then they feel
    rejected.

Surely if you love him, you just want to please him ; and express that love. So say it as often as you like.

ReputationRep:
    So from what you've said, I get the impression that neither of you say "I love you", but you're wondering/questioning why he doesn't say it more often...
    If I loved someone, I'd tell them, I wouldn't wait for them to say it first or say it because I feel like I have to

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.