Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone
    I'm sure a lot of you are in the same position, but I have just finished my A Levels and it's now my long summer break.
    I have always wanted to go to University and I have been excited to go into a new challenge in September, however recently I've become very nervous. I am going to a small university and everyone on the open day seemed friendly; which also goes for the other people who are starting this year who have written on fresher groups on Facebook and forums. Yet I have the fear that I, for some reason, won't 'fit in' or my 5 other allocated flat mates will be more outgoing than me.
    I am generally a friendly person and love meeting new people, but I suppose it's just the fear of rejection or isolation- I don't even know myself. A few people from my school described me as 'quiet'- it may only be a couple of people's opinions, but the word always haunts me.
    I even know some people from my school who are going to the same university which makes my worries even more pointless, but I suppose it's because I'm going in with the mind set that we will make our own friendship groups and probably won't see each other much.
    I just wish that I could turn all of my worrying into excitement, as it should be!
    Anyway, I just thought I'd make this post for advice on how to stop worrying, and whether any of you guys have been or are currently in a similar situation?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's normal.

You probably won't see the friends from school, unless they're on your course. People just drift, it's quite natural. If there's anyone you want to keep in contact with though, make the effort. Ask to go and do stuff early on - they'll be glad for a friendly face too. Go to the societies fare together or something.

You might not get on with all of your flat mates, but just work on civil and it won't be bad. I lived with one guy who "didn't do small talk" which was kind of odd. I've met a friend for life, but at least 6 of them i've not spoken to since, with a couple of them I get on with but we're just apart, doing different things. I've got some awesome friends from my course, and others i've met from societies, so there's other options even if you don't make the best friends there!

It's easy to say relax, but maybe try and find stuff to do to take your mind off of it. You'll be anxious now, and within about 30 mins of getting there you'll have forgotten all about the nerves

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried about it too, but the thing that worries me a hell of a lot more is actually getting in to university.
    Once I have stopped worrying about results, I can begin to worry about uni life.

One of my best mates is however going to the same uni as me so it's fine really.

ReputationRep:
    I feel just as worried about that aspect especially as I'm also going to a small campus. Which uni are you going to? Hopefully things should be ok, though my biggest worry right now is getting the results. Then I can focus on uni but I'm hoping that I'm just being pessimistic and things will be better than I expect.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.