Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My boyfriends parents are racist. What can I do. Watch

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is Indian and I am black. His parents are so racist. They hate me. They tell me to my face that they hate me. They make my boyfriends life hell for being with me and encourage him to meet new Indian girls, which basically means trying to get him to cheat on me. It's been two years and I can feel they breaking us apart, I thought things would decrease but they've increased

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indian boyfriend)
    My boyfriend is Indian and I am black. His parents are so racist. They hate me. They tell me to my face that they hate me. They make my boyfriends life hell for being with me and encourage him to meet new Indian girls, which basically means trying to get him to cheat on me. It's been two years and I can feel they breaking us apart, I thought things would decrease but they've increased
    Welcome to the Indian community

It may have been 2 years, but honestly his parents may never accept you.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt there is anything you can do to change what they think of you and the way they act towards you. Your username made me laugh though .

ReputationRep:
    I swear to god Asians have some weird attitudes towards Black people.

Your boyfriend's gonna have to choose between you and his parents because when parents are as stubborn as that they're hardly gonna change until they realise they'll loose their son. If your boyfriend picks you and moves out i'm sure his parents will eventually come around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brownsugar-xx)
    I swear to god Asians have some weird attitudes towards Black people.

Your boyfriend's gonna have to choose between you and his parents because when parents are as stubborn as that they're hardly gonna change until they realise they'll loose their son. If your boyfriend picks you and moves out i'm sure his parents will eventually come around.
    Stereotypes are perpetuated from generation to generation.

It'll take some time to change those pervasive attitudes.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, a lot of the older generation are still racist. At the end of the day, if you're still with him after 2 years, it must be a strong relationship. Just ignore them and start saving up for you guys to move out (if that's in your future plans.)

Tbh I can't believe your boyfriend hasn't told them to shut up after 2 years though. I would have a right go at my parents if I found out they were racist towards a girlfriend of mine.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but your username sums it all up lol. On a serious note tho, I feel for you. Most Asian parents are a bit backwards like that but what can we do. Does he genuinely love you? Why doesn't he convince his parents that he's serious about you so then that way they'll be okay with it? At the end of the day you can't be with someone if their family doesnt like you. He needs to step up and fight for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Stereotypes are perpetuated from generation to generation.

It'll take some time to change those pervasive attitudes.
    Yeah, hopefully the future generations of Asians in Britain will help erode all the hateful and controlling attitudes that can come with our culture.

ReputationRep:
    Sad time for all the black girls who like asians.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh hunny I'm sorry to say that they may never come around but I hope with all my heart they will :yep:

ReputationRep:
    How old are you and your boyfriend OP? If you've been together for 2 years, then the relationship must be a strong one but it might end up turning into a situation where your boyfriend will have to choose one or the other.

This kind of situation really puts me off Indian guys and Asian guys in general tbh.

ReputationRep:
    If your boyfriend picks you and moves out i'm sure his parents will eventually come around.
    Hate to say this but knowing Asian parents they will never come around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why dont you find a black boy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutaud15)
    Hate to say this but knowing Asian parents they will never come around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know what you mean, but there are a lot of Asian parents i'm sure who will eventually tolerate it (unhappily probably) because they don't want to lose their son - you know how important sons are to Asian families ofc I wonder if there are any religious barriers between the OP and her bf and his family cause that could worsen the situation a bit.

ReputationRep:
    That is awful.

He needs to speak to his parents.. and why are you around them?

If they don't like you don't go to their house...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldmansachs2014)
    Why dont you find a black boy?
    why should I have to find a black boy? Can't I be happy with another race

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsbehonest)
    That is awful.

He needs to speak to his parents.. and why are you around them?

If they don't like you don't go to their house...
    They don't let him come and see me.. Were both adults but they have this crazy hold over him

ReputationRep:
    They don't let him come and see me.. Were both adults but they have this crazy hold over him
    He needs to speak to his parents and you need to stay out of it.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, but there are a lot of Asian parents i'm sure who will eventually tolerate it (unhappily probably) because they don't want to lose their son - you know how important sons are to Asian families ofc I wonder if there are any religious barriers between the OP and her bf and his family cause that could worsen the situation a bit.
    Yes we are both different religions too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kandy_Kain_94)
    How old are you and your boyfriend OP? If you've been together for 2 years, then the relationship must be a strong one but it might end up turning into a situation where your boyfriend will have to choose one or the other.

This kind of situation really puts me off Indian guys and Asian guys in general tbh.
    It's really hard, we are both adults 19 years old

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.