Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to pay for an NHS prescription Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, once you reach 19 in England you have to pay for your prescription for the NHS even when you are at university. My question is, how exactly do you do this. I mean, do you have to register/sign up or do you pay with cash when you collect your prescription from the pharmacists? Also, if you're still living at home would the fact that you have to pay for prescription alert your parents to the fact that you are receiving medication? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You just pay when you go to collect it. They don't tell your parents..

If your household income is low there is this form you can fill out to get help with paying for prescription when you're a uni student. Ask your GP about it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for the quick and informed reply, I appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    Why would your parents know? That would breach patient confidentiality.

Prescription costs are incredibly annoying when you're at Uni and don't have the money to pay for it... I think the Government should make it free for Uni students as well as school students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenjen24)
    You just pay when you go to collect it. They don't tell your parents..

If your household income is low there is this form you can fill out to get help with paying for prescription when you're a uni student. Ask your GP about it
    (Original post by plasmaman)
    Thanks a lot for the quick and informed reply, I appreciate it
    (Original post by navarre)
    Why would your parents know? That would breach patient confidentiality.

Prescription costs are incredibly annoying when you're at Uni and don't have the money to pay for it... I think the Government should make it free for Uni students as well as school students.
    Form HC1 from certain pharmacies or the job centre for a HC2 certificate.

Your parents will not know unless they see the certificate and know you applied for it, and even then they won't know why, you could just need antibiotics for an ear infection.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)

Your parents will not know unless they see the certificate and know you applied for it, and even then they won't know why, you could just need antibiotics for an ear infection.
    HC2 is the exemption form from prescription costs.

If you're not entitled and have more than 4 prescriptions in 3 months, or 14 in 12 months, you can buy a pre payment prescription certificate. You can pay (the 12 month one at least) monthly if you don't have the money up front.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)

What are the HC1 and HC2 certificates?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    HC2 is the exemption form from prescription costs.

If you're not entitled and have more than 4 prescriptions in 3 months, or 14 in 12 months, you can buy a pre payment prescription certificate. You can pay (the 12 month one at least) monthly if you don't have the money up front.

(Original post by plasmaman)
    What are the HC1 and HC2 certificates?
    HC1 is the form that you fill in if you have a low income to apply for a HC2 certificate, which exempts you from prescription costs.
    I got one (well two, as it only lasts a year) for my second two years of university after my 19th birthday. I got the maximum loan/grant but lived in fairly pricey accommodation, so that might have been why I was deemed to have a low enough income.

I'm considering a prepayment certificate now, especially if they keep messing around with my prescriptions!

Edit: Also, contraceptives are free, regardless of all of this, just in case that's what you're getting. I don't know, you might be a man (possible with the username) but the info is there regardless.

ReputationRep:
    I indeed am a man, but no need for contraceptives atm! Thanks for the info though

ReputationRep:
    I had to go to the GP today and I haven't filled in one of them forms yet. I was prescribed two different medicines which I had to pay for because I turned 19 last week. It cost me £16.10 which is absolutely ridiculous! Especially as I'm a student! So disappointed :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenjen24)
    I had to go to the GP today and I haven't filled in one of them forms yet. I was prescribed two different medicines which I had to pay for because I turned 19 last week. It cost me £16.10 which is absolutely ridiculous! Especially as I'm a student! So disappointed :/
    You should have asked for a refund form, which would have allowed you to have claimed the money back if you were eligible for free prescriptions.

ReputationRep:
    FECK! Did not know you could get one! :/

ReputationRep:
    Contraceptives are free, but any other medicine is around £8 each, which you are able to pay cash for.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 5, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.