Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So my background is the following. I have a BA in Political Economy from a non-target school, summa *** laude, top of class graduate, with exchanges at HKUST and U of P where I was also in the top percentiles.

The entire last year after my graduation I've been applying and trying to network, emailing with people and attending fairs.

I received two interview opportunities for smaller boutique consultancies. In both cases I made it to the final round after six and four interviews respectively, however, was not offered the position. In the last few months I more often was cocky enough to just straight out ask what was wrong with my application. Candid feedback I got usually included something like: "Looking at it, your application actually is stronger than most we get, but we can't interview you as your school is only top 200, not top 100." or some **** like that.

Anyway, as alternative I have now applied to MSc programmes and been accepted to the Imperial College's MSc in Strategy & Economics for Business. The program and living in London would basically bankrupt me and plunge me into desperate debt. So, I need to mitigate my risk, by asking as many people as possible whether it would finally get me in the interview chair.

Depending on that my second question would be, should I start applying again for 2015 (to all the big companies at least), including the program on my CV with grades obviously not yet included? Or should I wait until at least around November?

Any opinions appreciated...

ReputationRep:
    "...school is only top 200", are you from the UK, I don't think their is more than 120 universities let alone 200. I am no expert (A-level student lol) but reading the destination data, "The MSc Economics & Strategy for Business aims to provide business graduates with the advanced skills to apply sophisticated economic analysis directly to business policy and strategy."

This might help
    http://wwwf.imperial.ac.uk/business-school/programmes/your-career/destination/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 96jaimin96)
    "...school is only top 200", are you from the UK, I don't think their is more than 120 universities let alone 200. I am no expert (A-level student lol) but reading the destination data, "The MSc Economics & Strategy for Business aims to provide business graduates with the advanced skills to apply sophisticated economic analysis directly to business policy and strategy."

This might help
    Nope, not from the UK.

I know, I have read all the brochures and the admissions material regarding that, and obviously it looks very good. I've also posed the same question in the admissions interview and I am well aware that Imperial is ranked quite high. However, the business school alone is ranked a little lower and I do not take what institutions advertise at face value anymore, so I'm looking for personal opinions.

I'm also unsure how to deal with the fact that the program would run from October this year to end of September next year, but bigger firms have opened their applications for 2015 already.

ReputationRep:

This might help
    For future ref, there is about 300 universities in the UK, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LOL, their must be a lot of bad ones then.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    "As of August 2008, there were ninety-one universities in England,[1] out of a total of 109 in the United Kingdom. This excludes approximately 133 higher education institutions that have not been given the right to call themselves a "university" by the Privy Council (such as colleges of higher education)."

What are these 300 unis you speak of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    "As of August 2008, there were ninety-one universities in England,[1] out of a total of 109 in the United Kingdom. This excludes approximately 133 higher education institutions that have not been given the right to call themselves a "university" by the Privy Council (such as colleges of higher education)."

What are these 300 unis you speak of?
    That's the figure I overheard during an event I was speaking at the other day in a school, haha. No idea what there source was but given it was an official organisation I assumed it was correct.

ReputationRep:
    That's the figure I overheard during an event I was speaking at the other day in a school, haha. No idea what there source was but given it was an official organisation I assumed it was correct.
    No idea what the source was, yet confident it was an official organisation? Seems legit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    No idea what the source was, yet confident it was an official organisation? Seems legit.
    Maybe they included other higher education colleges in the figures, it was to do with a higher education day thing where they pull people in to speak at. Perhaps the speaker quoted it wrong? In saying that, your figure is extremely out-dated anyway so it is probably more than that.

Do you interrupt speeches in front of hundreds of people asking what the source is for everything? It's not good practice...

Anyway, I'm not hijacking this thread so we'll leave it there.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they included other higher education colleges in the figures, it was to do with a higher education day thing where they pull people in to speak at. Perhaps the speaker quoted it wrong? In saying that, your figure is extremely out-dated anyway so it is probably more than that.

Do you interrupt speeches in front of hundreds of people asking what the source is for everything? It's not good practice...

Anyway, I'm not hijacking this thread so we'll leave it there.
    Will we? My source was the first one off Google - it wasn't a strenuous search. Anyone who's ever looked at a university league table knows there isn't 300 for goodness sake. You tried to pull someone up with that "for future ref" nonsense and got called on it, just move on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Will we? My source was the first one off Google - it wasn't a strenuous search. Anyone who's ever looked at a university league table knows there isn't 300 for goodness sake. You tried to pull someone up with that "for future ref" nonsense and got called on it, just move on.
    Mate, just let it go. No one is perfect. There is no need to get this pedantic over it but if that's how you get your kicks then sure. I'm sure the OP was capable of cross-referencing it if he was that overly bothered.

I wasn't pulling anyone up, was just adding it as a light comment - considering it's not even of material relevance, it doesn't need this level of attention. PM me if you want to continue...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mate, just let it go. No one is perfect. There is no need to get this pedantic over it but if that's how you get your kicks then sure. I'm sure the OP was capable of cross-referencing it if he was that overly bothered.

I wasn't pulling anyone up, was just adding it as a light comment - considering it's not even of material relevance, it doesn't need this level of attention. PM me if you want to continue...
    I always enjoy this kind of reasoning. Why should I let it go, given you were the one that was wrong in a cocky, self assured manner? Surely you should let it go... No need to get pedantic? You're the one that tried to corrected the first guy with an inaccurate fact! At least I'm accurately pedantic... Not relevant? Then why did you feel the need to post "For future ref, there is about 300 universities in the UK, haha."? Sounds like you're saying you were both incorrect and irrelevant, good stuff...

PM you? Why? Do you like me that way? That's worrying dude, we just met.

Callllllllm down, I'm only yanking your chain. There are actually 300 unis

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad that I inspired such a lively discussion on the # of universities in the UK, but still nobody actually answered my question, not even in a subjective way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDedu)
    I'm glad that I inspired such a lively discussion on the # of universities in the UK, but still nobody actually answered my question, not even in a subjective way.
    Imperial Msc in Management or investment and wealth management seems to be well placed for management consulting. TBH not sure of MSc Economics & Strategy for Business, I don't see why not, but Bain, Mckinsey and Boston might be difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial Msc in Management or investment and wealth management seems to be well placed for management consulting. TBH not sure of MSc Economics & Strategy for Business, I don't see why not, but Bain, Mckinsey and Boston might be difficult.
    Why do you say that? (This question sounds hostile, but I'm just curious haha)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDedu)
    Why do you say that? (This question sounds hostile, but I'm just curious haha)
    Because pre-MBA MBB is hard to get in general. Even for the very best Oxbridge/top Ivy students. Mostly to do with the fact that there are very few places straight out of UG (or masters in this case). That's why it's much easier to get into these places (still hard) post MBA when you are officially called a consultant and not a business analyst.

ReputationRep:
    Like what IB GURU said, if I was you I would consider LBS Msc Management, the fees are around the same and the difference between LBS and Imperial business school is LBS is on par with HWSC. looking at their destinations, plenty of people work for the big 3 consulting firms.

http://www.london.edu/programmes/msc...ntprofile.html

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.