Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, it's quite confusing if I just try and word this properly but this year I'm doing:

Biology AS
    Chemistry AS
    Maths AS&A2

I was going to pick up French AS next year, drop maths entirely, and continue with Biology and Chemistry. Giving me, at the end of my two years:

Biology A-Level
    Chemistry A-Level
    Maths A-Level
    French AS-Level

But, I've been trying to come up with plans just incase my results day isn't as well as I hoped, and then if it's been absolutely bombed. So I've been thinking about whether or not I'll have to do resits, and I figure worst-case scenario I'll be looking at resitting 4~6 exams! Which is huge, especially alongside Biology/Chemistry A2.

So, I've been looking at universities that would accept three AS levels and three A levels, meaning I'd have Biology/Chemistry/Maths no French. But if my results were exceptionally bad, say C in Maths and C/D's in Biology/Chemistry (terribly unlikely, I think, but I'm trying to think worst-case), then I'd consider not applying to university this year and applying next year instead; so that I can not be daunted by CCC or worse and focus on getting AAA or better.

I've looked at all 32 medicine universities, then I crossed out BMAT ones, and ones that I didn't have the GCSEs for. I'm left with:

Aberdeen
    Dundee*
    Durham
    Exeter*
    Glasgow
    Leicester*
    Queen Mary University*
    Manchester*
    Newcastle
    St Andrews

*These are universities I wouldn't be able to apply to with 3 AS-Levels and 3 A-levels.

So my question is, is this a right way of thinking? Would it be completely stupid not to pick up an AS, regardless, and even if I am resitting just try and focus on getting all the grades I need with resits and A2 modules and a whole new AS being sat?

And also, are the universities I haven't highlighted as accepting of not having 4 AS levels as I think? On their website their only requirement for A100 entry, was AAA in certain subjects but since I'm doing Biology/Chemistry/Maths I've met the subject-criteria, so to the best of my knowledge all that's left to fulfil is the grade-criteria?

If anybody can help with this I'd massively appreciate it.

P.S - I do have loads of plans for a gap year, I've been contacting a company that offered me a 2~6 week placement (depending on how long I wanted, and obviously how much I'd be able to spend) at a rural health clinic in Thailand where you volunteer at a local school during the afternoons and volunteer at the hospital during the day. And I'd definitely look for other things that I'd be able to do as well, so it's not as if I'd be sat at home on the Xbox all year.

ReputationRep:
    I think your big problem isn't going to be having 3 as's it's going to be having done a2 maths in year 12!
    I think all (but best check) insist upon all a2's being completed in year 13 otherwise they dont count. And therefore you'd technically only be considered to have 2 full a levels and 2 extra as's.
    Also id be wary of Leicester as I saw on your profile tour gcse grades. They rank based on gcse's and ukcat and allow as/a2 to be added in but I think your gcse's woild knock you too many point for you to recover and have a competitive application

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em.d_4)
    I think your big problem isn't going to be having 3 as's it's going to be having done a2 maths in year 12!
    I think all (but best check) insist upon all a2's being completed in year 13 otherwise they dont count. And therefore you'd technically only be considered to have 2 full a levels and 2 extra as's.
    Also id be wary of Leicester as I saw on your profile tour gcse grades. They rank based on gcse's and ukcat and allow as/a2 to be added in but I think your gcse's woild knock you too many point for you to recover and have a competitive application

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I completely understand there, my GCSEs are nowhere near up there for Leicester, but my college only says we did AS maths this year on our UCAS forms even though we did AS&A2. I think it's just so we have 6 modules that can be rearranged to give the best AS grade and then the other 3 can be resat or put towards the A2 grade? Or maybe it's the other way around.

But it's likely I'd be resitting 2 of the A2 modules anyway? So would that still be looked on badly if I sat one of them early, or as far as they're concerned? Also, I figured that if I applied in second year, after I've got my A2 results then I'd look the same as any other applicant that chose normal subjects? Which I wish I'd done at this point, to be honest

EDIT: I think at this point, I'm wondering if my application is even able to be saved, I mean my A-levels are a bit of a mess, with the way they'll be structured even if I do get the grades; and my GCSEs (as you said) are not competitive at all. So I might just have a real sit down talk with the careers advisor at my college and see what I can do, if anything, to have an actual chance of getting into medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eskyy)
    I completely understand there, my GCSEs are nowhere near up there for Leicester, but my college only says we did AS maths this year on our UCAS forms even though we did AS&A2. I think it's just so we have 6 modules that can be rearranged to give the best AS grade and then the other 3 can be resat or put towards the A2 grade? Or maybe it's the other way around.

But it's likely I'd be resitting 2 of the A2 modules anyway? So would that still be looked on badly if I sat one of them early, or as far as they're concerned? Also, I figured that if I applied in second year, after I've got my A2 results then I'd look the same as any other applicant that chose normal subjects? Which I wish I'd done at this point, to be honest

EDIT: I think at this point, I'm wondering if my application is even able to be saved, I mean my A-levels are a bit of a mess, with the way they'll be structured even if I do get the grades; and my GCSEs (as you said) are not competitive at all. So I might just have a real sit down talk with the careers advisor at my college and see what I can do, if anything, to have an actual chance of getting into medicine
    If you're at a private school where they won't certificate that the maths was conpleted in year 12 then you should be safe otherwise it'd be vert badly looked upon.
    Your gcse's won't cut Leicester but they'll do for others.
    I would say get a 4th as though as your gcse's already limit you without the as causing more limitations.
    No of you apply in a gap year they can still see when your exams were taken.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em.d_4)
    If you're at a private school where they won't certificate that the maths was conpleted in year 12 then you should be safe otherwise it'd be vert badly looked upon.
    Your gcse's won't cut Leicester but they'll do for others.
    I would say get a 4th as though as your gcse's already limit you without the as causing more limitations.
    No of you apply in a gap year they can still see when your exams were taken.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've spoken with the careers advisor who told me that not applying this year is a really good idea, and it'd allow me to focus on getting the grades, and I'm definitely picking up that AS. Then I'll see where I am, with subjects and grades in a year, but I think I'll be sitting the UKCAT this year; just as a practice, so that I'll know what it's about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eskyy)
    I've spoken with the careers advisor who told me that not applying this year is a really good idea, and it'd allow me to focus on getting the grades, and I'm definitely picking up that AS. Then I'll see where I am, with subjects and grades in a year, but I think I'll be sitting the UKCAT this year; just as a practice, so that I'll know what it's about
    Yeah definitely do the ukcat though id be tempted to apply just as a practice run! If you pick on pure tactic and have a go just for the experience. Applying has taught me a lot for my next application attempt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.