Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The quarterfinals Watch

ReputationRep:
    France vs Germany, Friday 4th July, 5 pm, BBC
    Brazil vs Colombia, Friday 4th July, 9 pm, ITV
    Argentina vs Belgium, Saturday 5th July, 5 pm, ITV
    Holland vs Costa Rica, Saturday 5th July, 9 pm, BBC

4 really good games. Particularly the first two.

My predictions:

Germany
    Brazil
    Argentina
    Holland

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    BRAZIL V COLOMBIA

FRANCE V GERMANY

LAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWDDDDDDDDD DDD

ReputationRep:
    Germany
    Colombia
    Belgium
    Netherlands

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Cat)
    Germany
    Colombia
    Belgium
    Netherlands
    yep

ReputationRep:
    Brazil v Argentina final is supposedly the bookies' prediction, with Brazil winning it. But Brazil certainly look unconvincing. Colombia are perhaps lucky that Brazil haven't beaten them for 10 years

ReputationRep:
    Difficult to say, but I'll go for -

Germany
    Colombia
    Argentina (though it depends on whether Messi can break the Belgian defence)
    Netherlands

ReputationRep:
    France (Benzema will avenge Algeria)
    Colombia (It will be the most intense game of the quarter finals for sure, but Brazil is weakened after the game with Chile)
    Costa Rica (Prepare yourselves for this)
    Belgium (This is a guess, Messi may have another sudden epiphany, but Belgium has shown today that they are not ****ing around in this WC)

ReputationRep:
    I think Belgium will go through to the semis.

Germany, Brazil and Holland will join them.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, it's pretty boring. The quaterfinals suck. Even though I've enjoyed watching some of the matches during this world cup, nearly all of the teams have been inconsistent and really poor.

Brazil weren't convincing at all against Chile, was very disappointed with their poor performance. Germany played poorly against Algeria, can't really say I was impressed by them. And Holland weren't playing very well against Mexico. So overall, despite seeing a lot of goals in the tournament, if you closely examine each individual team you will find that the fitness levels have been really poor, the performances have been inconsistent and on the whole the quality of play has been poor. That's not to say that every game has been boring. I've quite enjoyed watching underdogs like Costa Rica for example. But ultimately, they're a poor team and they just don't have the class required to win this kind of tournament.

ReputationRep:
    I think there will be two upsets in the quarter finals.

Argentina, apart from Messi, are rank average. It's like Bilardo's Argentina of 1986 where they were an ordinary team with one great player in Maradona, and like Maradona, Messi is a good enough player to win them a World Cup if he is on song every game. The problem is from this stage onwards if he has one off game or gets injured they will soon get overrun. That Maradona Argentina team won the World Cup and then only won like 6 games in the next 4 years they were so bad!

I think Argentina are in trouble against Belgium. Messi might get them out of it but on balance I favour Belgium.

The other favourite I think in trouble is Brazil. They haven't really faced a good side yet: and when they faced decent teams in Mexico and Chile they couldn't get past them. The old Brazil with Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho had firepower everywhere to put teams away but you look at this side and whilst Neymar and Oscar are good, they aren't in the calibre of those three, or Messi. So I think they are flaky and could potentially go out to any of the remaining quarter-finalists.

Colombia are on a high and playing good football. I think had England qualified ahead of Uruguay, we would have got knocked out by them in the second phase. I think if they had Falcao in their team they would be the best South American side. With him out, Brazil will probably be favourites but I think Brazil are in real trouble in this one. James Rodriguez is better than any of the Brazil players IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Belgium vs. Argentina is the interesting one - both teams have won all 4 of their games but by only 1 goal. Both teams have been distinctly average. But I'd back Argentina.

Would love Colombia to win but think Brazil will somehow find a way to get through.

Netherlands for me, although again, they haven't been good, and don't keep the ball enough for a Dutch team.

Germany to beat France.

ReputationRep:
    Germany (think they'll just edge it againt France)
    Columbia (Brazil dont look at all convincing)
    Holland (Costa Rica are a threat but Robben will tear them a new one)
    Belgium (yes thats right i chose them. Argentina have been woeful, thier defense looks weak and they rely so much on Messi)

Germany vs Columbia
    Holland vs Belgium

Final: Holland vs Germany
    Germany to win the world cup. Imagine Reus and Gundogan were available to them, they would have won this WC at ease.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised how everyone except one thinks that Germany would beat France. I'm German myself, but I'm not too sure on that. Benzema can decide matches by himself and if he has a good day it'll be really difficult to beat France or stop him.

On the others, I believe Netherlands will definitely make it although I don't think there will be a clear win. Brazil v Colombia should be really interesting. I guess Brazil might edge it but if it was on a neutral venue I believe Colombia would win it. Argentina Belgium is the most difficult one to call for myself, but I think if Messi is on form, it'll be difficult to beat them despite the poor defence.

So, France, Brazil, Argentina, Netherlands

ReputationRep:
    Costa Rica. Watch.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    France vs Germany, Friday 4th July, 5 pm, BBC
    Brazil vs Colombia, Friday 4th July, 9 pm, ITV
    Argentina vs Belgium, Saturday 5th July, 5 pm, ITV
    Holland vs Costa Rica, Saturday 5th July, 9 pm, BBC

I think there'll be a shock - there usually is, anyway. I can see it being Colombia. Chile came very close to beating Brazil - who look very ordinary - and the pressure may force them to crumble. France could surprise Germany, too.

I'll go with:

Germany (via extra-time and penalties)
    Colombia
    Argentina
    Holland

ReputationRep:
    By historic standards the Brazil front line is exceptionally poor, Argentina rely on one man, and Germany is much weaker than normal. France, Belgium and Holland by contrast all look formidable. Sometimes in football you just need to dig in, change it up a bit and get a result. Those sides can do that. Until his goal Di Maria had a shocker in the last match. In the end the pressure might get to Brazil. I will not be surprised if there is a huge upset. One thing I have noticed is the heat / fatigue / stress over time is having an effect on a lot of players. Pogba was hopeless until he scored as well.

ReputationRep:
    Argentina to be missing their best defender as well :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Germany
    Colombia
    Belgium
    Netherlands

France have been more convincing than Germany but arguably they also had easier games (Switzerland, Honduras, Ecuador, Nigeria vs Portugal, USA, Ghana, Algeria). (Anyway that's what I tell myself. :lol: ) Hopefully they underestimate Germany and Germany can pounce.

Everyone loves Colombia, right?

Argentina have been really disappointing. I hope Belgium relieve us of their presence.

Netherlands > Costa Rica.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully do maria, higuain and aguero step it up ye next game and absolutely destroy Belgium who aren't convincing at all

ReputationRep:
    Netherlands/Belgium, combined population 30m, to tear it up once again :coma:

Germany and Colombia also to progress

(Original post by Jordooooom)
    Hopefully do maria, higuain and aguero step it up ye next game and absolutely destroy Belgium who aren't convincing at all
    Actually think Belgium played better last night than the Argies have a any stage in this tournament, they've been shockingly average. And dreadful to watch. At least the Belgium manager has a few tricks up his sleeve tactically to switch things around whereas the Argies just pass to Messi and pray

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 2, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.