Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Title. They are human too, i ask this because of something I over heard.

ReputationRep:
    You don't understand the meaning of taboo :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Men don't cry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou 22)
    What did you eavesdrop on?

ReputationRep:
    Depends. If you get dumped and cry you're a pussy.

But its cool for a man to cry if he is holding a dead little girl in his arms and falls to his knees and goes NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I've only ever seen a handful of guys cry. The one who had the most impact on me was my cousin when his dad died. That was the saddest thing in the world. No one knew how to approach him or how to get through to him because he's not at all open about his emotions. He's exactly like me in that sense so I did to him what I would want done to me if I were in that position - I got him away from all the people and all the emotions and I took him for a walk. For ages we just walked in silence until he felt comfortable enough to speak. Eventually I managed to get him to open up. That was one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do because we've been so close quite literally since we were babies. I've only ever had to give him emotional support just a few times when we were pre-teens. Poor kid. He's older than me yet I treat him like he's my baby brother. :innocent:

I think it's so taboo because stereotypes make it that way. I've just written about 3 paragraphs which I cut because they went off-topic but the one thing I always come back to is that emotional vulnerability plays a massive part on stereotypical gender roles. In today's society we like to deny the existence of stereotypes and the influence they have on us, but the fact of the matter is that they still have a great influence on us. Women are constantly shown to be vulnerable and prone to crying, so even when the most strongest of us are in that position we tell ourselves it's okay because stereotype has taught us to believe that women are emotional folk who feel - no matter how strong we are there is an emotional crack in all of us which is waiting for it's trigger to break open.

On the other hand, while the stereotype of the emotionally unavailable man seems like it's starting to degenerate, the stereotype does still continue to live on. One of my nephew's favourite shows is Charlie and The Numbers. It's a BabyTV show about a kid who helps each number from 1 to 10 with their issues. This show is aimed at infants and already, for kids at such young ages, it establishes the stereotypes of gender roles. If you watch some of the episodes it's clear to see Charlie has a thing for the female numbers who really put on the damsel in distress act unlike the men who seem somewhat detached from Charlie. Numbers 2, 4 and 7 were the ones who stood out for me. I've seen all the episodes a thousand times so I know them well. You can see the foundation of the stereotype is already being set to teach kids that man needs to be strong while woman can rely on man to fix problem. It's so taboo for men to be seen crying because we're taught that they're not meant to be the "damsels in distress" kind of people - they're meant to be the fixers or the knights in shining armour. It's almost as if it's wrong (for lack of a better word) for a man to be emotionally open so they find alternative ways to sort of channel their emotions. While we as a society are starting to gain an acceptance for the emotional man, we're still far from making significant changes to accept it entirely.

I hate using the stereotype argument and this is probably the first time I've ever used it outside of school but it's the only explanation I can think to give at the moment.

The other thing is women are generally dependent on others for their help with emotional issues. It might just be that they desire cartharsis or they may actually need someone to help them deal with whatever they're crying over, but because they're so open with their emotions it's easier to accept that women cry. Guys are generally independent and prefer to deal with their issues on their own. This makes it difficult to accept that men cry because generally speaking men don't cry in front of you because you don't know what issues they're dealing with. I'm aware I'm making huge generalisations here because even I don't conform to my generalisations - I'm exactly like my description of man in that I deal with issues independently and can't depend on others for **** so people never see me cry and if they do they find it really weird. The first time my cousin saw me cry he told me "be a man" because he's never seen me get emotional toward anything. It was a reference to our childhood - he used to say that I was more of a man than he was (partly because I was a fat child so I always won our wrestling games) so I found it oddly comforting.

Nothing wrong with men crying. I don't think I've ever actually seen a guy cry, though.

Only the weakest of men cry.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by lou 22)
        It isn't.

/thread

ReputationRep:
        Don't remember the last time I've fully cried, I didn't cry fully when close members of my family died, more like had some tears and was just very, very depressed.

Now and then I get emotional and sometimes I get teary eyed.

The last time I really cried, must have been when I was a kid.

But no, I don't see it as bad if a man feels the need to cry, it is physically possible and I don't see why it is "wrong"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        Because everyone will think your a limp wristed whiny pussy man baby

Its a bit gay for men to cry. That said I can get emotional if I get s****faced enough.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Laomedeia)
          Its a bit gay for men to cry. That said I can get emotional if I get s****faced enough.

(Original post by iEatMuFFiNS)
          Because everyone will think your a limp wristed whiny pussy man baby

(Original post by Genocidal)
          Only the weakest of men cry.

(Original post by Silver Arrows)
          Men don't cry.
          I cry at least a couple of times every week. Can't help having problems, sorry if that makes me pathetic.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Solivagant)
          I cry at least a couple of times every week. Can't help having problems, sorry if that makes me pathetic.
          A couple of times a week? That's more than me and I have a uterus.
          • PS Helper
          • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Solivagant)

:jumphug:

I wish I cried more, there have been times when incredibly sad stuff has happened and I've felt a bit like a **** for not crying about it. I remember how much better everything would feel as a child after a good cry :moon:

I've cried with laughter a few times this month already though if that counts :awesome:

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
          A couple of times a week? That's more than me and I have a uterus.
          It's a lot less common. I spent a lengthy period where going a day without it was a really good day.

ReputationRep:
          It's okay if males produce tears but they can't be whiny and messy like girls are when they cry because that's when they look weak.
          THINK OF CHANNING TATUM IN THE VOW. He gets watery eyes and he twitches his face a lot but he doesn't act weak. THAT'S HOW A REAL MAN CRIES.

ReputationRep:
          A positive characteristic of a man is to be strong, stable, 'hard' and confident, crying can be seen as the opposite and can be seen as emotional instability.
          In my opinion if a man can prevent himself from crying he should retreat and by himself 'let it out'

ReputationRep:
          It would take something very serious to make a man cry. Extreme physical torture is the only reason why a man would cry. It's completely abnormal and wrong to cry at anything else, the only thing that could possibly make someone cry is extreme physical pain (and I mean really extreme).

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Stinkum)
          It would take something very serious to make a man cry. Extreme physical torture is the only reason why a man would cry. It's completely abnormal and wrong to cry at anything else, the only thing that could possibly make someone cry is extreme physical pain (and I mean really extreme).
          I think that extreme emotional torture would be acceptable (´・_・`)
          A man could cry over, say, his wife's death

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
        Useful resources
        AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.