Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm spending a year at university in the US and I'm pretty clueless about what to do about mobile phone contracts. Ideally I'd like to keep my iphone and get a new sim if that's possible (I'm with O2, 6 months into a UK contract annoyingly but I own the handset). I'd like to be able to text and call family in the UK and hopefully use mobile data. Can anyone recommend any phone companies with good international rates? Or would it be better to buy a cheap phone out there and Skype family instead?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dramallama)
    I'm spending a year at university in the US and I'm pretty clueless about what to do about mobile phone contracts. Ideally I'd like to keep my iphone and get a new sim if that's possible (I'm with O2, 6 months into a UK contract annoyingly but I own the handset). I'd like to be able to text and call family in the UK and hopefully use mobile data. Can anyone recommend any phone companies with good international rates? Or would it be better to buy a cheap phone out there and Skype family instead?

Thanks
    Hi. I think your best bet would be to go prepaid. It would probably cost between $50 and $70 for calls, texts, data and international.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dramallama)

Thanks
    There are issues with handsets made for UK markers vs US markets - I don't fully know the details but something to do with triband or quadband - this meant that my US bought samsung galaxy wouldn't work when I came home to the UK on holiday, even with a new SIM. So, you should check whether you iphone can work in the US at all first.

Depending on where you are going in the US, different providers will have better coverage. Sprint have good rates for large data users (which would allow you to make skype calls home from your phone anytime) but their coverage can be really patchy in some areas - I eventually switched to a more expensive AT&T contract with less data to get better quality. I think there are maps that show you where each company's coverage is best though, so check those out before making a decision.

Also Whatsapp is your and your far away family's friend!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.