Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are any of these 3 laptops good for what I need? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for:
    -light/portable
    -attractive
    -fast
    -able to cope with university work, streaming, internet browsing (plus some graphic design and video editing as a hobby/on the side)
    -affordable, my dad is paying and won't let me spend over ~£500

ACER Aspire V
    1.8kg
    14"
    i5 (idk which)
    1.6GHz
    2 processors
    6GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    Integrated Graphics
    X - some reviewers complained about the screen being poor

ACER Aspire M
    X - Don't know the weight but it's an Ultrabook so I thought they were lighter? Someone actually asked and someone else replied with "4-5kg"?! If it's over 2kg then I'm not interested but the one review it has said it's light :/
    15.6"
    i5 4200U
    1.6GHz
    6GB RAM
    500GB HDD
    Integrated graphics

SAMSUNG
    2kg
    15.6"
    i5 3210M
    2.5GHz
    2 processors
    6GB RAM
    750GB HDD
    Integrated graphics
    X - This one's refurbished and although most reviews are good, there are two terrible ones. Can I trust a refurbished one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyyoufools)
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/S400C...H_1291408.html

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/X550C...H_1503583.html

Though to be fair, I would say try to get something with 6-8gb ram, minimum i5 and a dedicated graphics card whatever it may be as the ram for it would be good for stuff like graphic design.

Would 0.2-0.3kg over 2kg be that much of a difference?

I personally don't like Acer but you can pick up cheaper Acers from this website rather than amazon http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.M1...k_1266026.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/S400C...H_1291408.html

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/X550C...H_1503583.html

Though to be fair, I would say try to get something with 6-8gb ram, minimum i5 and a dedicated graphics card whatever it may be as the ram for it would be good for stuff like graphic design.

Would 0.2-0.3kg over 2kg be that much of a difference?

I personally don't like Acer but you can pick up cheaper Acers from this website rather than amazon http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.M1...k_1266026.html
    Thank you!

I was actually seriously considering the VivoBook before and upgrading the RAM once I got it but it was more expensive on the other site so I left it, will definitely reconsider that one. Is there any way to upgrade the graphics card? Or is that stuck in a laptop? Would it change much? (thinking video editing with this)

I was also considering the X550 before but left it because of the weight. I've got CFS so a light laptop is important and mine is 2.5kg atm which is too much and after checking with some laptops at a shop today I'm thinking 2.1kg and under is doable.

Yeah I'm not a massive fan (but that's mainly because I don't like the logo :P) but the two I found sounded alright. That one's a no though because I need a 14" screen cause of bad eyes and laziness with glasses

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't touch anything made by Acer. Too many bad experiences with it.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Join the apple master race and get a mac

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

I was actually seriously considering the VivoBook before and upgrading the RAM once I got it but it was more expensive on the other site so I left it, will definitely reconsider that one. Is there any way to upgrade the graphics card? Or is that stuck in a laptop? Would it change much? (thinking video editing with this)

I was also considering the X550 before but left it because of the weight. I've got CFS so a light laptop is important and mine is 2.5kg atm which is too much and after checking with some laptops at a shop today I'm thinking 2.1kg and under is doable.

Yeah I'm not a massive fan (but that's mainly because I don't like the logo :P) but the two I found sounded alright. That one's a no though because I need a 14" screen cause of bad eyes and laziness with glasses
    Ram isn't upgradable on all laptops, especially not on ultrabooks as they are now soldered to the system.

Graphics cards are not changable either in any laptop, pretty much built into the mobo.

Try these two:

http://www.ebuyer.com/579678-asus-x5...-x552cl-sx047h

cheaper http://www.ebuyer.com/584159-asus-x5...-x550cc-xo071h

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    Wouldn't touch anything made by Acer. Too many bad experiences with it.
    Thanks. I don't usually go for them because I don't like their logo (daft, I know) but I came across these and thought they might be okay. I'll avoid them though because you're not the first person who's told me something like that.

(Original post by Namige)
    No.

I would but they're too expensive and the affordable ones have screens that are too small. That plus I like Windows

ReputationRep:
    Ram isn't upgradable on all laptops, especially not on ultrabooks as they are now soldered to the system.

Graphics cards are not changable either in any laptop, pretty much built into the mobo.

Try these two:

I might go ask about it in my local computer shop in case they've had one in before or something to check for the RAM but thanks because I didn't know that. How much difference would a non-integrated graphics card actually do?

I actually have the X552CL pinned as an option already as for the X550CC, it's too heavy.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I might go ask about it in my local computer shop in case they've had one in before or something to check for the RAM but thanks because I didn't know that. How much difference would a non-integrated graphics card actually do?

I actually have the X552CL pinned as an option already as for the X550CC, it's too heavy.

Thanks.
    It's because of Apple, there laptops have slimed down, like the air, etc which was down to soldering the parts together, etc so it takes up less space and makes the laptop lighter and other makers adopted this strategy for their light weight laptops.

Depends on the usage, in gaming, graphic design, rendering, 3d modelling it would help, the integrated graphics borrows the systems ram to run.

That ebuyer one is a great deal, like amazing.

ReputationRep:
    It's because of Apple, there laptops have slimed down, like the air, etc which was down to soldering the parts together, etc so it takes up less space and makes the laptop lighter and other makers adopted this strategy for their light weight laptops.

Depends on the usage, in gaming, graphic design, rendering, 3d modelling it would help, the integrated graphics borrows the systems ram to run.

That ebuyer one is a great deal, like amazing.
    I'm not complaining, I like them like that just that I'm probably pushing it by asking for what I want within my price range...

The graphics design I usually do is mainly typography and the sort so it's not too heavy but the video stuff can be. Would it just take longer? It's only a hobby so I don't have any time frames/deadlines for things meaning leaving it rendering or something overnight wouldn't bother me too much just that the tasks in the editing lagging would get annoying if it affects that?

Yep, it was the exact tab I had from before :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm not complaining, I like them like that just that I'm probably pushing it by asking for what I want within my price range...

The graphics design I usually do is mainly typography and the sort so it's not too heavy but the video stuff can be. Would it just take longer? It's only a hobby so I don't have any time frames/deadlines for things meaning leaving it rendering or something overnight wouldn't bother me too much just that the tasks in the editing lagging would get annoying if it affects that?

Yep, it was the exact tab I had from before :P
    Video editing would be more processor and ram, and could be gpu but to a lesser extent and more visual effects done, etc. Should be fine for rendering, I think in terms of rendering cpu and ram play the bigger part and gpu to a lesser extent.

ReputationRep:
    Video editing would be more processor and ram, and could be gpu but to a lesser extent and more visual effects done, etc. Should be fine for rendering, I think in terms of rendering cpu and ram play the bigger part and gpu to a lesser extent.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for
    I've searched for months before I purchased mine. I'm sure you'll be happy with it too: DELL XPS 12 or DELL XPS 13. You can also get £300 off if you purchase a refurbished one which is basically good as new too.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I don't usually go for them because I don't like their logo (daft, I know) but I came across these and thought they might be okay. I'll avoid them though because you're not the first person who's told me something like that.

I would but they're too expensive and the affordable ones have screens that are too small. That plus I like Windows
    Windows 8? Ew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CemCakantemur)
    I've searched for months before I purchased mine. I'm sure you'll be happy with it too: DELL XPS 12 or DELL XPS 13. You can also get £300 off if you purchase a refurbished one which is basically good as new too.
    I'll have a look, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Windows 8? Ew.
    Yep :P I actually loved how easy, pretty and intuitive 8 was which is apparently an uncommon opinion. They lost a bit of it with 8.1 but they fixed other stuff so I don't mind. Even if it's not perfect, I like it

ReputationRep:

Try these two:

Depends where you get the laptop from. Schenker actually can swap out the graphics cards independently of the mobo I believe.

Sent from my HTC One (M8) Gold using tapatalk.

ReputationRep:
    No.

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    :facepalm:
    For media based work Macs are better in most cases. But gaming and office work nah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iridann)
    For media based work Macs are better in most cases. But gaming and office work nah.

I know. I have a Mac Pro and an iMac.

Comments like Namige's aren't exactly useful though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.