Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need help deciding between two very similar laptops. Watch

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Basically I should (hopefully) be starting uni this September, and as my current laptop is very old/slow, I was planning to get a new one which would last me throughout the degree. If I get the right grades I should be doing medicine, which is 5-6 years.

The two I am trying to decide between are :

HP Pavilion 15-n297sa ( http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi....html#longDesc )

and

Lenovo G5070 ( http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...68948-pdt.html )

The Lenovo is only £10 more expensive.

I understand the Lenovo has 1TB hard drive as opposed to the HPs 750GB, but is that the only difference?

Laptop will be used for storing & listening to music, very basic video & photo editing, typing up documents, making presentations, watching movies online and things like Skype etc.

My current laptop is HP so I know that it's really sturdy and reliable- I've never had a Lenovo before. Which one should I pick?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The HP is better WRT a card reader (shouldn't make any difference to you). It also has 2x USB 3.0 and 1x USB 2.0, whereas the Lenovo has 1 USB3 and 2 USB2 (although it probably won't make much difference to you, but 3 is A LOT faster than 2). HP is lighter, the sound is slightly different on the two, but I doubt the difference will be particularly noticeable. The HP is slightly smaller ( 2.4mm thinner and about 3 inches narrower side to side. The HP, according to a review (and vs the quoted "up to 4 hours" of the Lenovo which is likely when idle anyway) is A LOT better, the test got 5h 22m under pretty heavy stress, and they expect about double this under light load.
    They both come with a load of included bloatware.
    Long story short, HP is much better (and is on my list of "well find me something that has a battery comparable to a mac" next time somebody throws that at me :P )
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The HP is better WRT a card reader (shouldn't make any difference to you). It also has 2x USB 3.0 and 1x USB 2.0, whereas the Lenovo has 1 USB3 and 2 USB2 (although it probably won't make much difference to you, but 3 is A LOT faster than 2). HP is lighter, the sound is slightly different on the two, but I doubt the difference will be particularly noticeable. The HP is slightly smaller ( 2.4mm thinner and about 3 inches narrower side to side. The HP, according to a review (and vs the quoted "up to 4 hours" of the Lenovo which is likely when idle anyway) is A LOT better, the test got 5h 22m under pretty heavy stress, and they expect about double this under light load.
    Long story short, HP is much better (and is on my list of "well find me something that has a battery comparable to a mac" next time somebody throws that at me :P )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rumschpringe)
    Basically I should (hopefully) be starting uni this September, and as my current laptop is very old/slow, I was planning to get a new one which would last me throughout the degree. If I get the right grades I should be doing medicine, which is 5-6 years.

The two I am trying to decide between are :

HP Pavilion 15-n297sa ( http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi....html#longDesc )

and

Lenovo G5070 ( http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...68948-pdt.html )

The Lenovo is only £10 more expensive.

I understand the Lenovo has 1TB hard drive as opposed to the HPs 750GB, but is that the only difference?

Laptop will be used for storing & listening to music, very basic video & photo editing, typing up documents, making presentations, watching movies online and things like Skype etc.

My current laptop is HP so I know that it's really sturdy and reliable- I've never had a Lenovo before. Which one should I pick?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This?
    http://www.ebuyer.com/579678-asus-x5...-x552cl-sx047h

Also Lenovo are very solid, however that means they do weigh quite a bit more than the average equivalent
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Thanks!! I guess that answers my question then HP it is!

ReputationRep:
    The HP.

Lenovo laptops are great ones as well but for the most part their better ones are those the ThinkPad lines only, the others aren't really any better or worse than other laptops.

ReputationRep:
    HP.

Lighter and has an extra USB 3.0 port

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.