Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Asking my uncle to pay for my trip to Canada? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Last year I met my uncle for the first time since I was a child. He payed for my flights to Toronto and I stayed with him for a couple of weeks. We have kept in touch via email since then. Tonight he sent me an email in which he discussed how he would like to come and visit me around the time of the Cambridge folk festival. I want to ask him if I can go back with him on the return flight to Canada and stay for a few weeks with him in his house. He's wealthy and had paid for everything last year but I don't speak to him as I would a closer family member. He is like the formal uncle everyone respects greatly and so, if I were to go with him to Canada, it would be because of his offering, not my asking. Ultimately, I'm worried that if I ask this, he won't want to talk to me again, as he may see me as someone too demanding for his company despite his wealth. I obviously can't afford flights to Canada because as a student money is precious to me. He realizes this but he may think last year's trip was enough for the time being, even though it was last summer. Also, I have recently returned from a week in Zurich and Vienna and he knows of this, which obviously doesn't do me any favours, as he may think I've had my holiday quota for this year. I also went to Stockholm in March and he knows this too. He wouldn't be paying cash for the flights, as he accumulates a lot of free air miles when traveling with his company.

Should I ask him for another Canadian holiday this year and if so, how would you go about asking him? Or am I being too greedy?

ReputationRep:
    Why should he pay for you? Like you said you don't really talk to him and he paid for your trip last time. You've also just come back from a trip and yet you want to go on another one again. You seem like a greedy **** to me. Get a job and pay for **** yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Why not ask your mother?

ReputationRep:
    Just bring it up casually in conversation?

"You're so lucky you get to go back to Canada eh, I had such a great time last year"

"How aboot them Maple Leafs? I'd love to check oot a game in Air Canda Centre eh"

Hopefully he says something like "How aboot you come back with me?" and you can tell him you'd like to but you can't really afford it, or even better say you're saving money. He'll probably respect that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YourDeath)
    Why should he pay for you? Like you said you don't really talk to him and he paid for your trip last time. You've also just come back from a trip and yet you want to go on another one again. You seem like a greedy **** to me. Get a job and pay for **** yourself.
    I also went to Stockholm in March. He's not actually paying for the flights with cash, as he has earned a lot of free air miles with his company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
    Just bring it up casually in conversation?

"You're so lucky you get to go back to Canada eh, I had such a great time last year"

"How aboot them Maple Leafs? I'd love to check oot a game in Air Canda Centre eh"

Hopefully he says something like "How aboot you come back with me?" and you can tell him you'd like to but you can't really afford it, or even better say you're saving money. He'll probably respect that.
    I wish it were this simple. As I said, he's not the kind of person who I could talk to in this way, as I would talk to a family member. He's a distant uncle who I talk to quite formally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Cat)
    Why not ask your mother?
    She refuses to pay because she paid for me to go to Stockholm, Vienna and Zurich this year, which in total, came to thousands. She said I can go provided my uncle pays for it but she would, however, give me money to take with me for my spending.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friendly Liberal)
    I wish it were this simple. As I said, he's not the kind of person who I could talk to in this way, as I would talk to a family member. He's a distant uncle who I talk to quite formally.
    Where abouts in Canada is he from?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 2, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.