Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else seen this? Getting a bit dumb and I'm not talking about legit feminists like the ones who started it for equal rights, equal pay, etc. I'm talking about some of the newer batch of uneducated teens who just want domination. These ads and videos about it everywhere are cringy.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benzos)
    Anyone else seen this? Getting a bit dumb and I'm not talking about legit feminists like the ones who started it for equal rights, equal pay, etc. I'm talking about some of the newer batch of uneducated teens who just want domination. These ads and videos about it everywhere are cringy.
    Post some.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed! I refer to them as the Feminazi Brigade.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is cringy. Pretending that problems don't exist doesn't help them go away and closing your eyes so that you can't see the problems is ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsbook)
    This thread is cringy. Pretending that problems don't exist doesn't help them go away and closing your eyes so that you can't see the problems ignorance.
    What problems do these individuals face today then chap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reece Sure)
    What problems do these individuals face today then chap
    Forced marriages and being killed for going out and getting an education, women's reproductive rights are still being debated and restricted in many places ..then there's objectification and unequal pay for doing the same job as a male counterpart ect..

ReputationRep:
    Forced marriages and being killed for going out and getting an education, women's reproductive rights are still being debated and restricted in many places ..then there's objectification and unequal pay for doing the same job as a male counterpart ect..
    That comes under the 'legit feminists' as he called them. The feminists he dislikes and is annoyed with are the ones who claim...

"I don't shave under my arms because I like to be individual"
    "I'm a feminist because it's important to question the world and not just accept the truths given."
    "I'm a feminist because I have a voice."
    "I'm a feminist because I'm not just a dumb blonde."
    "I need feminism because my gender studies degree is just as valid as anyone else's."

All of the above miss the key points about feminism; forced marriages, education, reproductive rights etc... as you stated. The idea of feminism has been hijacked and the original meaning lost in the process.

There's one picture that sums it all up and I would marry here tomorrow or something. She hits the nail on the head....

Name:  TSR Feminism.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  43.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Is Matt)
    That comes under the 'legit feminists' as he called them. The feminists he dislikes and is annoyed with are the ones who claim...

"I don't shave under my arms because I like to be individual"
    "I'm a feminist because it's important to question the world and not just accept the truths given."
    "I'm a feminist because I have a voice."
    "I'm a feminist because I'm not just a dumb blonde."
    "I need feminism because my gender studies degree is just as valid as anyone else's."

All of the above miss the key points about feminism; forced marriages, education, reproductive rights etc... as you stated. The idea of feminism has been hijacked and the original meaning lost in the process.

There's one picture that sums it all up and I would marry here tomorrow..

Name:  TSR Feminism.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  43.8 KB
    The quotes you have quoted are not an accurate representation of the majority of feminists. I've never heard or seen anyone say any of those.

Although I would agree that anyone who has said those things is missing the point and would agree that they don't understand the cause.

I myself, identify as a feminists and like to focus on women and young girls who are still fighting for the right to be educated ect..

Feminism on the large does focus on the points I made and I do not support the picture you linked me to as that person obviously is not educated on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I feel inclined to disagree, we'll regard those first few issues as issues that we as a population need to address. This is certainly women being oppressed but is by far no platform to base todays modern western feminazi attitudes on, which has essentially devolved into radicalism, which I believe to be the point and topic of this debate.

Your last two points are of interest but are by far overplayed. Objectification has happened plenty but if you think its started with beautiful looking women in Hello magazine you'd find yourself mistaken. Men have been objectified by states and countries, shaped and trained to fight and die in wars in foreign lands, used as pawns by their leaders for them to profit from. That's some serious Objectification, wouldn't you agree?

Lets make it a thing of sex though, women are objectified and bombarded with images of the perfect woman right! Scandalous! Except if you've seen the film 300 or any other film with a male in it, seen the magazines AskMen or Mens Fitness etc, perhaps you'll reach the conclusion that women aren't the ones only objectified. I've refrained from mentioning the fact that by looking back a few thousand years at any Greek or Roman art that all you'll see is the ideal male figure, because who wants to beat a dead horse..

And there is no such thing as a pay gap you've been led to believe. When women are working less hours than men, they'll be a wage gap.. When women are working inside in safe jobs, whilst men are outside working hard manual jobs that are often dangerous, yes, there is a wage gap. When women take 10 years out of their professional lives to raise children as opposed to their male counterparts continuing working, building professional experience, broadening clientele and contact bases and earning promotions, yes my friend, their is a wage gap.

But please feel compelled to go and compare statistics between women who never married and never had kids to men who never married and had kids.. but I'll save you the time and tell you right away: there is no wage gap.

ReputationRep:
    The quotes you have quoted are not an accurate representation of the majority of feminists. I've never heard or seen anyone say any of those.

Although I would agree that anyone who has said those things is missing the point and would agree that they don't understand the cause.

I myself, identify as a feminists and like to focus on women and young girls who are still fighting for the right to be educated ect..

Feminism on the large does focus on the points I made and I do not support the picture you linked me to as that person obviously is not educated on the subject.
    Of course feminism on the 'large' does support the valuable points. I don't think anyone in the West supports the idea of not educating females or allowing them to vote. However, equality in the West is near complete. It's just attitudes to change now which takes time. As a result feminism has lost its meaning somewhat. Look at this link. It highlights perfectly how many females are feminists but miss the point of it.

ReputationRep:
    I feel inclined to disagree, we'll regard those first few issues as issues that we as a population need to address. This is certainly women being oppressed but is by far no platform to base todays modern western feminazi attitudes on, which has essentialy devolved into radicalism, which I believe to be the point and topic of this debate.

You're last two points are of interest but are by far overplayed. Objectification has happened plenty but if you think its started with beautiful looking women in Hello magazine you'd find yourself mistaken. Men have been objectified by states and countries, shaped and trained to fight and die in wars in foreign lands, used as pawns by their leaders for them to profit from. Thats some serious Objectification, wouldnt you agree?

Lets make it a thing of sex though, women are objectified and bombarded with images of the perfect woman right! Scandalous! Except if you've seen the film 300 or any other film with a male in it, seen the magazines askmen or mens fitness etc, perhaps you'll reach the conclusion that women aren't the ones only objectified. I've refrained from mentioning the fact that by looking back a few thousand years at any Greek or Roman art that all you'll see is the ideal male figure, because who wants to beat a dead horse..

And there is no such thing as a pay gap you've been led to believe. When women are working less hours than men, they'll be a wage gap.. When women are working inside in safe jobs, whilst men are outside working hard manual jobs that are often dangerous, yes, there is a wage gap. When women take 10 years out of their professional lives to raise children as opposed to their male counterparts continuing working, building professional experience, broadening clientele and contact bases and earning promotions, yes my friend, their is a wage gap.

But please feel compelled to go and compare statistics between women who never married and never had kids to men who never married and had kids.. but i'll save you the time and tell you right away: there is no wage gap.
    I'm not interested in a debate as I've got too many things to worry about and I'm pretty busy.

My last two points were just add on's and smaller problems that women face but not the main problems.

The expectations on men are not down to women, gender roles are down to society. I'd agree both expectations for men and women are unfair and neither have it easy, this is something feminism address and there is in the making a film length documentary on it.

When people mention the pay gap they are specifically talking about the scenario of women who have the same qualifications as men and who are in the exact same job as men still being paid less. That is what the pay gap is talking about, no other scenario, just that one.

ReputationRep:
    Of course feminism on the 'large' does support the valuable points. I don't think anyone in the West supports the idea of not educating females or allowing them to vote. However, equality in the West is near complete. It's just attitudes to change now which takes time. As a result feminism has lost its meaning somewhat. Look at this link. It highlights perfectly how many females are feminists but miss the point of it.
    I wasn't talking about the west, I was talking about women as a whole and including women's problems from all around the world as that is what I often am involved in.

I actually have more important things to do than educate people on oppression and rights so I apologies but appreciate your reply and willingness to talk about the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Of course feminism on the 'large' does support the valuable points. I don't think anyone in the West supports the idea of not educating females or allowing them to vote. However, equality in the West is near complete. It's just attitudes to change now which takes time. As a result feminism has lost its meaning somewhat. Look at this Google images search. It highlights perfectly how many females are feminists but miss the point of it.

Shocking. Typical follower of the ridiculous idea that there is a conspiracy against women that all men just hate them and oppress them.
    Go to Iran, and tell me how good women have it there.. sexism is blatent, observable in the streets, in the home, it couldnt be any more active. Since 2006, nearly 70% of Irans Science and Engineering students are women.

Perhaps there would be more science toys in the girls section if she spent more time in the classroom studying science, and not stood outside with a whiteboard.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Feminism in general is not a nebulous concept that can be defined by "good" or "bad" feminists. It's subscribing to a set of core values that focus on the inherent equal worth of women and men over the larger areas of human institutions with attention placed on women as apposed to men. Being a feminist is not the same for all people and there is no hierarchy of issues that must be considered over other issues and there is no default feminist group that holds any true sway compared to another.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not interested in a debate as I've got too many things to worry about and I'm pretty busy.

My last two points were just add on's and smaller problems that women face but not the main problems.

The expectations on men are not down to women, gender roles are down to society. I'd agree both expectations for men and women are unfair and neither have it easy, this is something feminism address and there is in the making a film length documentary on it.

When people mention the pay gap they are specifically talking about the scenario of women who have the same qualifications as men and who are in the exact same job as men still being paid less. That is what the pay gap is talking about, no other scenario, just that one
    To a fellow student of physics do you not find it somewhat absurd to base an entire argument on a very specific situation without any consideration of context? The role of feminism in a land where there isnt much inequality will serve only to drive a wedge between the sexes, thickening a wall of understanding between us. An understanding necessary for cultural progression and the progression for the society in which we live as a whole. Surely it is worth taking some time to study and read and base your arguments on sound reasoning and evidence, as science promotes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benzos)

Just as you posted I found this video

new generation of feminists, not mirin them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD)

If you think SCUM is a fair example of what the majority of feminists believe you know very little about SCUM and how hated the group is amongst many respected women's rights organizations.

ReputationRep:
    To a fellow student of physics do you not find it somewhat absurd to base an entire argument on a very specific situation without any consideration of context? The role of feminism in a land where there isnt much inequality will serve only to drive a wedge between the sexes, thickening a wall of understanding between us. An understanding necessary for cultural progression and the progression for the society in which we live as a whole. Surely it is worth taking some time to study and read and base your arguments on sound reasoning and evidence, as science promotes?
    Studies have shown that men who hold the same qualifications and job as a women are on average are paid more. This is termed 'the wage gap between men and women'.

When a feminist mentions the wage gap between men and women they are referring to the fact that a women can be in the same job as a man and hold the same qualifications but will more than often be paid less.

It is not talking about the population and what men and women earn but rather it is referring to the occurrence of a gap in wage even when a man and women hold the same job position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD)

what the hell did I just watch?!

(It's obviously a joke lol)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.