Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A Question for Muslims (or any religious practitioner) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The question stems from a thread I read recently. This should not be viewed as a criticism, I do however struggle with the idea and thats why I'm posting to help clarify and ultimately become a more rounded, improved person. It's all on the path to achieving my perfect form, the power level of which being immeasurable.
    In seriousness and to the question: If you are a devout muslim, who eats bacon, drinks alcohol, barely prays etc, why do you call yourself a Muslim? The path of Islam I believe, teaches that you must live your life in a particular way and devote yourself to Allah. If you don't follow that path, why do you still categorize yourself as a muslim and follow teachings that oppress behaviour you choose? If you retain belief in Allah and that is the driving force behind your belief, would you not be better served by living how you wish and maintaining a spiritual connection to Allah in your own, more personal way? As opposed of course to continuing your subscription to what many would view as backward and oppression teachings, you could have a spiritual connection with Allah, between the two of you. Not between what Allah is said to have said to a man many hundreds of years ago. Discuss

ReputationRep:
    pls respond

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reece Sure)
    The question stems from a thread I read recently. This should not be viewed as a criticism, I do however struggle with the idea and thats why I'm posting to help clarify and ultimately become a more rounded, improved person. It's all on the path to achieving my perfect form, the power level of which being immeasurable.
    In seriousness and to the question: If you are a devout muslim, who eats bacon, drinks alcohol, barely prays etc, why do you call yourself a Muslim? The path of Islam I believe, teaches that you must live your life in a particular way and devote yourself to Allah. If you don't follow that path, why do you still categorize yourself as a muslim and follow teachings that oppress behaviour you choose? If you retain belief in Allah and that is the driving force behind your belief, would you not be better served by living how you wish and maintaining a spiritual connection to Allah in your own, more personal way? As opposed of course to continuing your subscription to what many would view as backward and oppression teachings, you could have a spiritual connection with Allah, between the two of you. Not between what Allah is said to have said to a man many hundreds of years ago. Discuss
    Dont really get the question. Are you assuming we are muslims who eat bacon and drink alcahol or suggesting we imagine that we do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm asking basically, why muslims commit to a religion that detests and actively discourages behaviours that the individual enjoys. If they were to follow the teachings of their religion, they would surely be persecuted as not following the word of Allah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reece Sure)
    I'm asking basically, why muslims commit to a religion that detests and actively discourages behaviours that the individual enjoys. If they were to follow the teachings of their religion, they would surely be persecuted as not following the word of Allah?
    I doubt you will find many muslims your question applies to. Ive never even heard or seen a Muslim i know drink alcohol or eat bacon. The majority are commited. Fact is Muslims are the most devout.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hertz)
    I doubt you will find many muslims your question applies to. Ive never even heard or seen a Muslim i know drink alcohol or eat bacon. The majority are commited. Fact is Muslims are the most devout.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hahahah. I think you will find that there are a butt load of 'Muslims' that regularly take part drinking and smoking (though a Muslim who eats pork is usually rarer)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, A lot of Muslims in UAE especially drink alcohol etc. But refrain from Pork.

The thing is that many think they will party now and become religious later in life, or feel that God will forgive them. The thing which makes people say they are still Muslim is that relationship with god which is prevalent in almost all religions.

ReputationRep:
    The majority I have spoken to do not follow the Quran to the letter. My ex-flatmate is currently dating a girl from kuwait.. she's a muslim, I sometimes woke up to the smell of bacon cooking, and that was after, I can only assume, a long night of f*cking. Before marriage, of course. When I asked my friend wether he'd turn muslim for her family if they were to marry, he replied of course he would. "It's not as though I'm actually going to be waking up at 5am and praying, is it?"
    I'll try to avoid being anecdotal, but the amount of muslims i've met in bars and clubs is staggering. That was some dodgey smelling juice from what I could gather..

And this? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2607700

I have a very slight creeping concern that perhaps, not all muslims are as devout as what you'd have me believe..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hertz)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just because you've come across few Muslims that drink and eat bacon doesn't mean that is representative of all Muslims. You'd be surprised at the number that drink but eating bacon is a lot less common admittedly.

ReputationRep:
    There's no Muslim who doesn't sin, everyone gives into forbidden desires and that's what makes us human. However our lack of control does not stop us from believing in the message of Islam. And we are taught God is most merciful and most forgiving we only need to turn to him and sincerely ask for forgiveness for Him to forgive us.

ReputationRep:
    i know a lot of people have said fact is muslims arent that devout. 95+% dont eat bacon or drink alcahol, i dont know about UAE and all that but in the UK with muslims from all around thats the general rule. its unfair to make that presumption.

muslims that are in that minority know they're doing bad but here i think the atheist mentality is different (no offense this is just a discussion). these bad muslims they acknowledge islam is right in their heart and dont follow it which is of course wrong but that doesnt mean someone should leave that religion. that doesnt make sense.

thats like saying i beleive christinaity is the truth from god but i dont want to go church so im going to say christianity is wrong?

thats my 2cents, i usually dont bother answering these stuff because its usually people looking for an argument but you sound OK from what youve wrote so far,

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.