Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is racial stereotyping so rooted in American culture? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I.e. Boxing entire races into rigid stereotypes.

E.g. All blacks are dumb and criminals, they cannot get good educations and jobs because of this.
    E.g. All Arabs are suspicious, they hate America and want to bomb it.
    E.g. All Far Eastern men are weak and unfit for sex. Their women are submissive whores.

Despite the sheer darkness of all of these stereotypes they pervert everyday American life still in 2014.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone wanna try to begin answering this mind ****?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.Almasy)
    Anyone wanna try to begin answering this mind ****?
    Oh I thought these things were true? Surely the media would not lie to me with such stereotypes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friendly Liberal)
    Oh I thought these things were true? Surely the media would not lie to me with such stereotypes?
    Oh, surely not, perish the thought. Problem is, your everyday American believes such stereotypes adamantly.

ReputationRep:
    Where is the OP from

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.Almasy)
    Oh, surely not, perish the thought. Problem is, your everyday American believes such stereotypes adamantly.
    Do you not have the ability to read your own writing? Or is the irony lost on you?

ReputationRep:
    probably due to parents' mindsets being passed on as well as a sort of cultural isolation thing meaning that those views tend to be in the majority so are generally accepted

edit: forgot to mention that this exists in many countries, not just in some parts of the USA

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.