Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just wondered what your experiences were adjusting to a new job?

I'm at my first job and it's going to be my third day today. The first day was awful and I just wanted to quit, it wasn't bad for a job, just overwhelming. Yesterday was a bit easier, but I still can't bear the thought of doing this job everyday for 8 hours. However I need the experience, and this is a good job compared to some others.

I just didn't expect jobs to be so exhausting, mentally as well as physically.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You will get used to it everything wil seem overwhelming and strange cos its a new experience if you need the job for experience I would stick at it!!! There will be good days ahead just summit to get used to :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've had jobs that took me weeks to adjust to, and some in which I felt at home after half an hour.

Have you had limited experience of work in the past? It's sometimes more difficult to adapt to the idea of working, rather than the specific job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by russellsteapot)
    I've had jobs that took me weeks to adjust to, and some in which I felt at home after half an hour.

Have you had limited experience of work in the past? It's sometimes more difficult to adapt to the idea of working, rather than the specific job.
    Yes it's my first job. That's why I need this to put in my cv, I've been applying to so many pubs, cafés, cleaning positions, packer positions etc etc for the past month and no one has contacted me. I have no experience apart from voluntary work so they dismiss me instantly.
    It's definitely working that's getting me down rather than the actual job. I just hope it'll get easy the more I adjust to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Youll be fine once it becomes a part of your routine :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowystarks)
    I just wondered what your experiences were adjusting to a new job?
    In my experience, new jobs go like this when you are a new employee-

Week one - complete boggle - you are just introduce to so many new people, new roles, new language, new timings etc your brain is overloaded and you are just trying to remember to smile and look interested.

Week two to six - that sinking feeling that you are never going to get a grip of this and people must be getting fed up with answering your stupid dumb questions and forgetting everyone's name.

From week six onwards - the realisation that you can add value, and you actually enjoy the jokey person in the desk by the window, and it's all together not to and and you might learn stuff and enjoy yourself.

In my experience as a manager with a new employee joining the team it goes like this -

Week one - don't expect anything at all, just hope they keep smiling and keep turning up

Week two to six - thank goodness they are asking stupid, dumb questions, it shows they want to know and improve and they are engaged with the team and the work

From week six onwards - thank goodness they didn't take six months to add value. Nice to have them onboard with the team. You might make the effort to remember their name now!

ReputationRep:
    So snowystarks how was your day at work :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My third day is over and it's slowly getting better thanks
    I'm still constantly staring at the clock and I make a tally of how much time has passed so I can countdown to leaving, but on Monday I was ready to quit and never go back. Today felt better.
    I hope it gets better every day..

ReputationRep:
    You need to find something that takes your mind off when you finish work, otherwise it will be mentally exhausting. Theres nothing worse then a life consumed by work.

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry there will be a point of where youll stop and think what you were so worried bout lol
    And if you keep busy enough the time wil fly before now I have started work got on with job and tasks at hand then before l know it its hometime lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.