Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've completed my GCSE's and moving onto sixth form.

My choices are:
    Maths
    English
    History
    And Psychology

But I want to take one of the sciences (preferably biology or chemistry) and I'm not sure whether or not I want to drop History or Psychology. I definetly want to keep Maths and English as they are two very useful subjects. I talked to my Mum about dropping History but she was hesitant as History had always been one of my strongest subjects and I have always enjoyed it. But from my taster days, I find Psychology to be also quite interesting and now I'm not sure.

Should I drop History or Psychology?
    Or should I just keep them and not drop anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what you want to do after a levels?

ReputationRep:
    Not fully decided but I've limited my course choices to:
    -Computer Science
    -Biological or Biochemistry
    -or Psychology and Therapy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For computer science I'd assume they'd prefer to see you take maths plus a science, look at the university course requirements for each of those subjects

ReputationRep:
    I've chosen
    Maths
    Further maths
    Physics
    Chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaelozua)
    Not fully decided but I've limited my course choices to:
    -Computer Science
    -Biological or Biochemistry
    -or Psychology and Therapy

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know from friends at school who are applying to study Computer Science that the universities very much like you to have maths and further maths, although the latter is not specifically stated as a requirement, and thats for the top end of russel group only. biochem, i would advise having chemistry and preferably biology as well. and those two are also advantageous to psychology related degrees.

This is just my opinion, but if I were you I would take Maths, Chemistry, Biology (or psychology - you dont need psychology to apply for a degree in it though so i would be inclined towards biology) and History (or english). History is a strength so i would choose that, although it is your decision. Hope this has been of some help

ReputationRep:
    No point trying to decide what your going to drop, especially since your in gcse >.<

ReputationRep:
    Drop Psychology, History is much more useful I'm doing english, history, french, spanish and music next year.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

A few of my friends in college did History and the aspects of History they focused on varied between classes. You've been to your taster days so you might know already what part of History your college will be focused on. I'd say to really figure out if you'd be interested in learning that or if you'd find it boring and therefore lose interest and struggle to keep up.

When I was in your position I had my heart set on taking Art, English Literature, Psychology and Religious Studies because those are what I loved to learn. But stupidly I let other people's opinions control my choices and finally chose English Literature, Sociology, Religious Studies and English Language. I absolutely hated Sociology and came out with an E compare to my other Bs. The reason I chose Sociology is because I thought it would be easier and my sister told me it was better than Psychology but I always knew I had no interest in Sociology :unimpressed:

What I'm trying to say is that choosing your AS levels is quite important and if the only A Level preferred for your future Uni course is Maths and you have relatively free choice for your other AS levels, then don't choose them on a whim, make sure you research each of them and how your college teaches them. A lot of colleges choose different ways of teaching English, History and Psychology. Finally, make sure you're passionate about the subjects you choose, if you love History and you're strong at it, then why change it for a science you might not enjoy? I think the best thing that will help you is to talk to students of the college doing the subjects your interested in and see which ones you truly would want to do. I wish I'd have put more thought in to what I really wanted than what other people thought I should do. It is your future after all

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.