The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices

I've completed my GCSE's and moving onto sixth form.

My choices are:
Maths
English
History
And Psychology

But I want to take one of the sciences (preferably biology or chemistry) and I'm not sure whether or not I want to drop History or Psychology. I definetly want to keep Maths and English as they are two very useful subjects. I talked to my Mum about dropping History but she was hesitant as History had always been one of my strongest subjects and I have always enjoyed it. But from my taster days, I find Psychology to be also quite interesting and now I'm not sure.

Should I drop History or Psychology?
Or should I just keep them and not drop anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you know what you want to do after a levels?
Reply 2
Not fully decided but I've limited my course choices to:
-Computer Science
-Biological or Biochemistry
-or Psychology and Therapy

Posted from TSR Mobile
For computer science I'd assume they'd prefer to see you take maths plus a science, look at the university course requirements for each of those subjects
Reply 4
I've chosen
Maths
Further maths
Physics
Chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaelozua
Not fully decided but I've limited my course choices to:
-Computer Science
-Biological or Biochemistry
-or Psychology and Therapy

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know from friends at school who are applying to study Computer Science that the universities very much like you to have maths and further maths, although the latter is not specifically stated as a requirement, and thats for the top end of russel group only. biochem, i would advise having chemistry and preferably biology as well. and those two are also advantageous to psychology related degrees.

This is just my opinion, but if I were you I would take Maths, Chemistry, Biology (or psychology - you dont need psychology to apply for a degree in it though so i would be inclined towards biology) and History (or english). History is a strength so i would choose that, although it is your decision. Hope this has been of some help
Reply 6
No point trying to decide what your going to drop, especially since your in gcse >.<
Drop Psychology, History is much more useful :smile: I'm doing english, history, french, spanish and music next year.
Reply 8
Hi :h:

A few of my friends in college did History and the aspects of History they focused on varied between classes. You've been to your taster days so you might know already what part of History your college will be focused on. I'd say to really figure out if you'd be interested in learning that or if you'd find it boring and therefore lose interest and struggle to keep up.

When I was in your position I had my heart set on taking Art, English Literature, Psychology and Religious Studies because those are what I loved to learn. But stupidly I let other people's opinions control my choices and finally chose English Literature, Sociology, Religious Studies and English Language. I absolutely hated Sociology and came out with an E compare to my other Bs. The reason I chose Sociology is because I thought it would be easier and my sister told me it was better than Psychology but I always knew I had no interest in Sociology :unimpressed:

What I'm trying to say is that choosing your AS levels is quite important and if the only A Level preferred for your future Uni course is Maths and you have relatively free choice for your other AS levels, then don't choose them on a whim, make sure you research each of them and how your college teaches them. A lot of colleges choose different ways of teaching English, History and Psychology. Finally, make sure you're passionate about the subjects you choose, if you love History and you're strong at it, then why change it for a science you might not enjoy? I think the best thing that will help you is to talk to students of the college doing the subjects your interested in and see which ones you truly would want to do. I wish I'd have put more thought in to what I really wanted than what other people thought I should do. It is your future after all :h:

Quick Reply

Latest