Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Before I get a ton of replies saying the same thing, I'm well aware money can't buy you happiness, but at the same time being poor can't buy you anything.
    I'm about to go to university this year, so obviously entering the world of work is still a way off, but I feel like if I don't end up in a job making a decent amount of money that would allow me to live in London and travel and shop at places that aren't just high-street brands regularly then I'll feel as if I've failed.
    There's always been financial difficulty in my house and so I know, whilst completely unintentional, my parents have made me see money, and lack of, as a source of stress. I hate living like this and can see myself working so hard to avoid it.
    People always make being motivated by money into such a bad thing but I don't know if it really is and does anyone else feel the same?

ReputationRep:
    Mainly my only motivation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    Mainly my only motivation.
    Prestige not money is mine, but prestige tends to accompany money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_wallflower)
    Before I get a ton of replies saying the same thing, I'm well aware money can't buy you happiness, but at the same time being poor can't buy you anything.
    I'm about to go to university this year, so obviously entering the world of work is still a way off, but I feel like if I don't end up in a job making a decent amount of money that would allow me to live in London and travel and shop at places that aren't just high-street brands regularly then I'll feel as if I've failed.
    There's always been financial difficulty in my house and so I know, whilst completely unintentional, my parents have made me see money, and lack of, as a source of stress. I hate living like this and can see myself working so hard to avoid it.
    People always make being motivated by money into such a bad thing but I don't know if it really is and does anyone else feel the same?

Do you have access to a property to live in, within London? I.e a parents house or living with a mate?

ReputationRep:
    "Many men have lost lots of money chasing women, but no man has ever lost women chasing money" :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Obviously, in this economic climate, I think money would always be a factor. However, sometimes I believe that doing what you really really love would eventually get you there and earn big bucks and it's really true! Just take a good look at the list of some of the most successful people in the world! What would be wise though is choosing a career that gets you a quite decent paying job and it's a career that you like/love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEatMuFFiNS)
    "Many men have lost lots of money chasing women, but no man has ever lost women chasing money" :cool:
    Tell that to all the men who run businesses who go bankrupt (chasing money) and then their wives leave them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    Tell that to all the men who run businesses who go bankrupt (chasing money) and then their wives leave them.
    If you lose it then what can i say? other than if you were smart enough to get rich once it's conceivable you can do it again..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEatMuFFiNS)
    If you lose it then what can i say? other than if you were smart enough to get rich once it's conceivable you can do it again..
    True true. I think a lot of the richest people have failed a couple times along the way.

ReputationRep:
    OP talks about living in London and buying stuff. You see that is what we have been conditioned to do. Its like a big version of Logans Run.
    Consume, Conform ,Obey.

Be part of the machine..your either in it or outside.

If your not part of the machine, you have no "prestige" and you are worthless..

Is there another ,maybe better way?

Money is just a bit of paper, a picture of some bird who calls herself queen. Intrinsically it has no worth save for a promise scribbled on the back by some old geezer in threadneedle street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pussy Galore)
    Do you have access to a property to live in, within London? I.e a parents house or living with a mate?
    I have an aunt that owns a flat which she rents out but a lot of my friends also want to live in London so could probably house-share or something. Ultimately though I want to live alone and support myself. Though considering how expensive London is I'm worried this is unlikely and I'll end up a failure

ReputationRep:
    No but it used to motivate me. Ran my own business for 2 years from 18-20 years of age and had loads of money but wasn't happy, was constantly stressed, people hang around you like leeches purely because you have money and they're a nightmare to get rid of even though you know what their game is, clients are hard work and don't always want to pay on time - on top of that the government take loads off you to give to people on benefits. Why should I do a 6am to 8pm job with little time for leisure and then have it taken from me? I see no point. It was just making me miserable even with money to spend.

Basically, small to medium businesses in the UK get screwed over. Unless you become megarich and own a multinational you're small fodder and will see it is not all its cracked up to be as the government would rather take from you than upset their friends in big business.

I would rather go Into a job whereby I'm happy and can do an 8-4 or 9-5 and have less money than work my arse off only to be penalised by the government for doing so. Having money isn't all its cracked up to be in the UK anyway.

If you go out chasing the money dream in the UK then good luck but you'll find out as I did its hard work for little reward in real terms. Fine in other countries I suppose where the government doesn't rinse you dry in any way it can think of.

Far better off chasing a decent job with a purpose - teacher, doctor, police, fire service etc and family life. You'll be far better off and enjoy a better quality of life than someone trying to get rich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldhell)
    Obviously, in this economic climate, I think money would always be a factor. However, sometimes I believe that doing what you really really love would eventually get you there and earn big bucks and it's really true! Just take a good look at the list of some of the most successful people in the world! What would be wise though is choosing a career that gets you a quite decent paying job and it's a career that you like/love.

The problem is my interests are things like reading and there really isn't a lot of money to be made in something like publishing as far as I know. As a result I'll probably end up doing something in banking

ReputationRep:
    "Such a waste of talent. He chose money over power - in this town, a mistake nearly everyone makes. Money is the Mc-mansion in Sarasota that starts falling apart after 10 years. Power is the old stone building that stands for centuries."

ReputationRep:
    I've only ever had performance related jobs. I really enjoy them and I always earn much more than most of my peers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctimonious)
    No but it used to motivate me. Ran my own business for 2 years from 18-20 years of age and had loads of money but wasn't happy, was constantly stressed, people hang around you like leeches purely because you have money and they're a nightmare to get rid of even though you know what their game is, clients are hard work and don't always want to pay on time - on top of that the government take loads off you to give to people on benefits. Why should I do a 6am to 8pm job with little time for leisure and then have it taken from me? I see no point. It was just making me miserable even with money to spend.

Basically, small to medium businesses in the UK get screwed over. Unless you become megarich and own a multinational you're small fodder and will see it is not all its cracked up to be as the government would rather take from you than upset their friends in big business.

I would rather go Into a job whereby I'm happy and can do an 8-4 or 9-5 and have less money than work my arse off only to be penalised by the government for doing so. Having money isn't all its cracked up to be in the UK anyway.

If you go out chasing the money dream in the UK then good luck but you'll find out as I did its hard work for little reward in real terms. Fine in other countries I suppose where the government doesn't rinse you dry in any way it can think of.

Far better off chasing a decent job with a purpose - teacher, doctor, police, fire service etc and family life. You'll be far better off and enjoy a better quality of life than someone trying to get rich.
    Mind if I ask what you did?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pussy Galore)
    Mind if I ask what you did?
    Not at all. I shall be doing an AMA thread about it soon as others have asked about it as well. I ran a construction business for 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limpopo)
    OP talks about living in London and buying stuff. You see that is what we have been conditioned to do. Its like a big version of Logans Run.
    Consume, Conform ,Obey.

Be part of the machine..your either in it or outside.

If your not part of the machine, you have no "prestige" and you are worthless..

Is there another ,maybe better way?

Money is just a bit of paper, a picture of some bird who calls herself queen. Intrinsically it has no worth save for a promise scribbled on the back by some old geezer in threadneedle street.
    Obviously correct use of apostrophes is just far too conformist for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For me money is definitely a motivation, but success is more important. I would never be successful in a banking environment because I'm not cut out for that, therefore I would not make a lot of money from it for sure... I prefer to be in a job that makes me feel successful and where I can climb up somewhat quickly and earn less than in other jobs, but at least I'll see good results and hopefuly more money will come after that. Still, if money was not a motivation I would still be in my home country that everyone speaks badly about, and I definitely do not plan on going back.

ReputationRep:
    I am motivated by money to the extent of what it can provide for me. However, I am far more motivated by self-employed earnings than by a salary.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.