Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you normally say to people when you first meet them? Watch

Hi everyone. I wanted to post this in the chat forum, but felt a bit embarrassed. I'd prefer to post anonymously. I'm just not very astute at introducing myself to people. I often find that first meetings can feel quite awkward. I feel really nervous around people I don't know. I'm sure I'm not alone in having these issues (I hope not anyway), but I feel like it's a bigger problem for me than it is for most people. I feel like it's hampering me quite a bit socially. Was wondering if you guys have a starting point that you usually use when you talk to people for the first time at uni, bars, or anywhere else really. What are some good conversation starters? Any other advice would be welcome too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi everyone. I wanted to post this in the chat forum, but felt a bit embarrassed. I'd prefer to post anonymously. I'm just not very astute at introducing myself to people. I often find that first meetings can feel quite awkward. I feel really nervous around people I don't know. I'm sure I'm not alone in having these issues (I hope not anyway), but I feel like it's a bigger problem for me than it is for most people. I feel like it's hampering me quite a bit socially. Was wondering if you guys have a starting point that you usually use when you talk to people for the first time at uni, bars, or anywhere else really. What are some good conversation starters? Any other advice would be welcome too
    "hi"?

ReputationRep:
    "'sup brah?"
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I usually just proceed to hug them and be like hay lets be friends

I usually just go "Hi" and smile awkwardly.

ReputationRep:
      "Hey, what's good"

or

"Asalamualaykum - Peace be upon you" if they're Muslim.

ReputationRep:
      I'm not very good at this kind of stuff. :lol:

Some advice that I was given by a friend is just to say hello, introduce yourself to that person and ask them questions about them and get to know them.

ReputationRep:
      A simple hi usually suffices..

ReputationRep:
      'Hello, how are you?"

"Hello, I'm a young professional,. Have we met on Linkdin?"

ReputationRep:
      "Do you love me? "

ReputationRep:
      "Are you a policeman?"
      • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Typical Scottish greeting - "awrite?" then just see where the convo leads.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      "I'm up here"

ReputationRep:
      Hey, I'm lianne

and then my massive smile :grin:

ReputationRep:
      It was cold this morning, so I put a jacket on and then it wasn't cold anymore.

And they are like wtf??!!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      Am the same, i end up asking lots of questions making it feel like an awkward interview then i run out of things to say which makes it even more awkward haha, its even worse with girls.

ayy lmao

ReputationRep:
        I'm usually like Hi and then awkwardly wait for someone else to say something :P

ReputationRep:
        "Get away from me!!!!!"

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 2, 2014
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.