Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

partner who cheated in the past with previous ex's Watch

ReputationRep:
    As the title says would you get in a relationship with someone who has cheated in the past?

Does that old saying once a cheater always a cheater ring true?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, providing certain boxes were ticked.

If I have feelings for the man, he makes me happy and it is a healthy relationship then I wouldn't allow their past mistakes to just discard the chance of a relationship. I don't think they should be condemned to never be happy again because of mistakes that could have happened many years ago as a result of various circumstances.

Or...yanno..maybe I'm just a pushover :mmm:

Not a chance.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Not because he'd necessarily do it to me, but because to me it shows a lack of basic decency, which I couldn't abide in a partner.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeceitfulDove)

If I have feelings for the man, he makes me happy and it is a healthy relationship then I wouldn't allow their past mistakes to just discard the chance of a relationship. I don't think they should be condemned to never be happy again because of mistakes that could have happened many years ago as a result of various circumstances.

Same as this. I actually briefly dated someone recently who had previously cheated on someone, and it didn't factor into my decision at all over whether I wanted a relationship with him. I don't believe in once a cheater always a cheater. The vast majority of people who have cheated in a relationship are not serial cheaters.

ReputationRep:
    Women on here are so forgiving /s :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeceitfulDove)

(Original post by syrettd)
    Same as this. I actually briefly dated someone recently who had previously cheated on someone, and it didn't factor into my decision at all over whether I wanted a relationship with him. I don't believe in once a cheater always a cheater. The vast majority of people who have cheated in a relationship are not serial cheaters.
    I agree with these answers.
    It seems weird to condemn someone forever for something they've once done. Sayings like 'once a cheater, always a cheater' are usually pretty silly because human beings aren't that simple and everyone has made a mistake or done something they shouldn't have!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    No. I wouldn't be afraid that they would cheat on me per se, but because I don't think I'd find them in any way attractive if I knew they cheated. If I found out after I fell in love with them, maybe…

ReputationRep:
    Yes. People can change. I'm not gonna discard a potentially amazing relationship when I'm 30 or something, because my partner cheated when he was 18.

Oh really,what a fuss. Its just sex, a basic human driver and as long as they play safe whats the problem?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I would be fearful enough of someone possibly cheating on me while in a relationship without going with someone who has actually done it in a previous relationship. If I was just after sex or a bit of fun then yeah, I would go with someone who had cheated before but not if a serious relationship was what I was looking for.

ReputationRep:
    No I wouldn't. Not if I knew beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLittlestElf)
    As the title says would you get in a relationship with someone who has cheated in the past?

Does that old saying once a cheater always a cheater ring true?

No. A character flaw. Just like somebody with a conviction for theft. You going to place him/her in charge of counting the takings for the day?

Why risk the possible emotional distress with somebody with such a character flaw?

ReputationRep:
    Depends if they've changed or not.

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on whether the guy is rich obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old_Simon)
    It all depends on whether the guy is rich obviously.

Yeah such a lovely outlook in life.

ReputationRep:
    Already have done once, and I wouldn't rule out doing it again.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 2, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.