The Student Room Group

A level problem...

Now i am quite a sharp and smart girl withihn my studies except MATHS and SCIENCE (ugh they just literally make me want to cringe with the exception of biology)
My school sixth form has given me a condictionall offer for there and to study the subjects:
Biology (dad chose for me)
Chemistry (again my dad chose for me)
Sociology (:biggrin:)
and Film Studies ( :biggrin: :biggrin:)
now if i get a C in science and a C in maths will i be able to do those science subjects? And bonus question: do you think its alright to let your parent pick your subjects
My parents wanted me to study English :K:.. so no, to answer the latter.
Reply 2
Original post by Abdul-Karim
My parents wanted me to study English :K:.. so no, to answer the latter.

lol okay what did you end up studying?xx
They can ADVISE you on your chosen subjects but, unless you intend to do something in the biology,chemistry or biochemistry field, then the first two DON'T MIX with the second two.
What is it you want to do exactly?

Don't let your parents chose your subjects for you, it is your life (your A levels and degree will open doors for you but close so many more, i.e. no history, music, religious studies etc... but will open up doors in the relevant fields).
My mother advised me to do the following GCSE options (Business BTEC, ICT and Double Science), the only useful one of those I liked was science and the business and IT complimented each other.
In short, try and chose subjects which will mix/compliment each other nicely.

Back on topic, what degree/job do you want to do exactly?
Original post by DAtgirlxox
lol okay what did you end up studying?xx

I dropped out of school and now post on TSR full time :biggrin:
Letting your parents choose may be a disastrous error. Your choices belong to you because they are your passport to your future not your parent's.
Reply 6
Original post by Old_Simon
Letting your parents choose may be a disastrous error. Your choices belong to you because they are your passport to your future not your parent's.

yes but at the same time i dont want to dissapoint i guess i could just do what i want, i did tell him that at the end of the day its my decision and i choose what i want to do and where i want to go. Thanks for a straightforward answer:biggrin:
yes but at the same time i dont want to dissapoint i guess i could just do what i want, i did tell him that at the end of the day its my decision and i choose what i want to do and where i want to go. Thanks for a straightforward answer:biggrin:

Tbh the notion that a parent might be "disappointed" if you didn't do biology is their problem not yours. A better way forward at this stage is to start thinking of your degree and how what you you are doing now supports that goal (or not). What is certain to disappoint everybody is poor results. You know what you are best at. Good luck.
right so when i was litte i always wanted to be a doctor and i now know that science isnt for me and there is no way on earth im going to study medicine. i looked into botany courses which seemed interesting but still that was his recomendation and still i need sciecne a levels at AAB grades. I really dont want to have to slave to even scrape grades near enough to that requirement and i now know taht i want to study nursing, not because its less favoured or whatever but purely to the fact that theres so many routes to it and you can have so many careers with your nusring degree, i also have sickle cell which i go to the hospital nearly every three weeks for and one specific nurse really stand out to me shes so hard working and worked her way from the bottom of the ladder to the top and has shared her story with me and she made and is making a massive contribution to my life, i want to aspire to be like her and stand out like her. sorry its so long but this is really what i want to do :smile:

So, you want to be a nurse?
Reply 9
Original post by Old_Simon
Tbh the notion that a parent might be "disappointed" if you didn't do biology is their problem not yours. A better way forward at this stage is to start thinking of your degree and how what you you are doing now supports that goal (or not). What is certain to disappoint everybody is poor results. You know what you are best at. Good luck.

you're right, thanks so much for your reply :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Scienceisgood
So, you want to be a nurse?

yes and you dont even bloody need science a levels for that :/
yes and you dont even bloody need science a levels for that :/

Then there isn't anything wrong in theory with what you've listed.
BUT, your parents don't dictate your life.
Now i am quite a sharp and smart girl withihn my studies except MATHS and SCIENCE (ugh they just literally make me want to cringe with the exception of biology)
My school sixth form has given me a condictionall offer for there and to study the subjects:
Biology (dad chose for me)
Chemistry (again my dad chose for me)
Sociology (:biggrin:)
and Film Studies ( :biggrin: :biggrin:)
now if i get a C in science and a C in maths will i be able to do those science subjects? And bonus question: do you think its alright to let your parent pick your subjects

I was a semi-similar situation to you - I got talked into doing physics for A level.

My school and parents felt strongly that I should study traditional subjects which would open more career options.

I'm glad that I did - A level science was completely different to GCSE and I loved it!

What subjects do you want to do???
Number one rule with A Level choices: always play to your strengths.
Please learn from my mistakes: do not study A-level Chemistry unless you are really really good at it and really really enjoy it.
My parents pressured me into doing science A-levels and I can honestly say that sixth form was the worst period of my life.
Don't let your parents live through you. I'm an A2 student and chose Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Spanish at AS. I picked Bio, Chem and Maths because I wanted to be a vet and thought that I needed Maths for it. Worst mistake of my life and I wish I had not gone with what others had told me that I 'needed'. However, I also picked the other three because Bio and Spanish were two of my best and favourite subjects (I got A* in both of them at GCSE) and I picked Chemistry because even though I only got an A at GCSE, it did actually sound like a really interesting course at A-level and I'm glad I picked it. I find them all easy but from the experiences of my friends, PLEASE think about whether you actually want to study Biology and Chemistry at A-level. If you don't like them, they will be really hard and you probably won't do well.
Reply 16
Original post by tnetennba
Please learn from my mistakes: do not study A-level Chemistry unless you are really really good at it and really really enjoy it.
My parents pressured me into doing science A-levels and I can honestly say that sixth form was the worst period of my life.

Yep.

Pick the subjects you want to do. Do not just let your parents pick them for you. You're the one doing the course....
If you only get a C in science GCSE, you will seriously struggle to pass A level and your parents should be made aware of that, either by you or by your teachers, who I am sure won't encourage you to take science subjects with that kind of likely GCSE grade.
I wouldn't advise doing Biology, Chemistry or Maths unless you get miniumm of Bs preferably higher. It's a huge step from GCSE to AS and again to A2. But to take science with the exception of physics there is little complex maths so as long as you can do percentages and follow a formula you'll be fine. If you're better at other subjects I'd advise you do them. If you aren't good at Chemistry now be prepared for a lot of work if you want a decent AS grade.
I'd say let you're parents help you decide but not make the actual decision - its your life.

Quick Reply

Latest