Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the funniest book you've ever read? Watch

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently chortling my way through I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan which I somehow hadn't gotten around to reading until now, and it's probably the funniest book I've ever read. Literally laugh-a-page stuff.

I'm a fan of Charlie Brooker's books too, but I'm not sure they count as they've essentially been taken from his Guardian columns.

I find the written comedy just as funny as TV comedy and wondered whether anyone had any other recommendations? The wackier the better...

My Comedy Book Bucketlist
    DBC Pierre's Vernon God Little
    Squire Haggard's Journal
    Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island
    Danny Wallace's Yes, Man
    Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller
    Kingsley Amis's Lucky Jim
    John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces
    Charlie Croker's Lost in Translation

ReputationRep:
    The first Red Dwarf book. That had me laughing a lot. :lol:

And Battle Royale in a really dark and gruesome way.

ReputationRep:
    Bill Bryson's stuff has me in stitches. Also 'Vernon God Little' by DBC Pierre, it's a bit unusual and more satire I guess, but I found it really funny.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Squire Haggard's Journal is fantastically funny, same for Douglas Adams' work, and terry pratchett (though his writing style can get quite convoluted)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberwang)
    I'm currently chortling my way through I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan which I somehow haven't gotten around to reading yet, and it's probably the funniest book I've ever read. Literally laugh-a-page stuff.

I'm a fan of Charlie Brooker's books too, but I'm not sure they count as they've essentially been taken from his Guardian columns.

I find the written comedy just as funny as TV comedy and wondered whether anyone had any other recommendations? The wackier the better...
    surely you're joking Mr. Feynmann :rofl:
    • Editorial Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaciturnPhantom)
    The first Red Dwarf book. That had me laughing a lot. :lol:

And Battle Royale in a really dark and gruesome way.
    Red Dwarf is a good shout! Even funnier than the tv series if that's possible. Also hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy of course!

ReputationRep:
    This probably doesn't count but the funniest book I've ever read was 'The Story of Tracey Beaker'. I read it back in year 3 during reading time and got kicked out of class for laughing so much I have yet to find humorous book now though as most of the books I read tend to be dramatic.

ReputationRep:
    Believe it or not, Angela's Ashes. Irish humour at it's best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armadillo)
    Red Dwarf is a good shout! Even funnier than the tv series if that's possible. Also hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy of course!
    I loved the old TV series. I thought it was great. One of the funniest I've ever watched in my opinion. :lol:
    • Editorial Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaciturnPhantom)
    I loved the old TV series. I thought it was great. One of the funniest I've ever watched in my opinion. :lol:
    The the old series is amazing, I think it might be available on youtube! Not a fan of the film version with martin freeman

ReputationRep:
    I find Just William books hilarious! People always look at me weirdly in the train when I laugh out loud though... :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    "Notes from a Small Island" by Bill Bryon. Classic.

ReputationRep:
    "Yes Man" by Danny Wallace. Not a rip-roaring laughter factory, but it'll do.

ReputationRep:
    Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

ReputationRep:
    I'm enjoying Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller at the moment. Hitchhikers Guide has to be quite high up on any comedy list though.

ReputationRep:
    A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole or Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by filthynines)
    "Yes Man" by Danny Wallace. Not a rip-roaring laughter factory, but it'll do.

I also loved his other one - the one where he decides to find all his friends from primary school - can't remember the name. I laughed out loud a few times at that.

ReputationRep:
    Lost in Translation and Lost in Translation 2 by Charlie Croker
    David Copperfield
    The Truce by Primo Levi

ReputationRep:
    Lucky Jim

ReputationRep:
    Mystery of Mercy Close by Marian Keyes. The main character... :rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.