Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feasibility of studying 300 maths textbooks? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it feasible to study 300 maths textbooks in my lifetime? A lot of them are from the "Graduate Texts In Mathematics" series or the "Undergraduate Texts In Mathematics" series. The rest are other serious maths textbooks. I'm not sure what the average length of one of the books would be, it ranges from under 100 pages (uncommon though) to about 600 pages.

ReputationRep:
    Could i ask why exactly you want to read 300 textbooks? And are you just going to skip anything that is repeated in them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptainDJJoe)
    Could i ask why exactly you want to read 300 textbooks? And are you just going to skip anything that is repeated in them?
    Just because I've enjoyed maths in the past, so I think I might enjoy it. Also, I want to understand more of maths.

They're quite varied textbooks. But if anything is repeated, I'll just read it again to drum it in
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to study 300 textbooks? Are you interested in studying maths?

EDIT: Just saw your latest response.

Why don't you study some open university maths modules?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    Why do you want to study 300 textbooks? Are you interested in studying maths?

EDIT: Just saw your latest response.

Why don't you study some open university maths modules?
    I actually started a degree in maths (but not at open university) with second year entry in 2010. But it went horribly, partly because of my mental health difficulties.

I'm still enrolled on the course, but I still have a year to go with it.

I would like to succeed in the university environment, but I'm not happy there.

I don't feel like I have the mental health right now to study as much as they expect me to. I realise it would be weird to then expect to be able to read 300 maths textbooks. But I suppose once (if?) I'm better, I could read the maths textbooks and then enroll on another degree in maths and do well at it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)
    I actually started a degree in maths (but not at open university) with second year entry in 2010. But it went horribly, partly because of my mental health difficulties.

I'm still enrolled on the course, but I still have a year to go with it.

I would like to succeed in the university environment, but I'm not happy there.

I don't feel like I have the mental health right now to study as much as they expect me to. I realise it would be weird to then expect to be able to read 300 maths textbooks. But I suppose once (if?) I'm better, I could read the maths textbooks and then enroll on another degree in maths and do well at it.
    Well the open university course you can do at home at your own pace. You will be learning maths still, but you can get help from tutors and course mates.

I think part of the appeal with the OU is that you can study at your own pace with what you feel comfortable with. I haven't studied with the OU before though, so you will get some better advice from students in the OU forum.

With your textbooks, I would recommend not reading them through like a book cover-to-cover, but instead pick a topic of maths and then look through your books for information on that section and make notes and do the exercises. You'll learn better if you focus on one topic, rather than reading through all of the maths in one go.

ReputationRep:
    Typically undergraduate 'first courses' in subjects take one term, or 3 months, and undergraduates usually do 4 a term. That's 16 courses in a year, so 300 would take 18.75 years, if learnt at undergraduate pace - which, if one sticks to the recommended time spent on lectures, tutorials, problem sheets etc (of course I know no one does it all...) but that does amount to the same amount of time per week as a full time job.

I would then think you certainly will have a hobby for life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireGarden)
    Typically undergraduate 'first courses' in subjects take one term, or 3 months, and undergraduates usually do 4 a term. That's 16 courses in a year, so 300 would take 18.75 years, if learnt at undergraduate pace - which, if one sticks to the recommended time spent on lectures, tutorials, problem sheets etc (of course I know no one does it all...) but that does amount to the same amount of time per week as a full time job.

I would then think you certainly will have a hobby for life!
    That's mad!

Sometimes undergrad courses have more than one recommended text, but is the assumption that you just read one of them?

Also, apparently the pace can go up at PhD level, so perhaps a higher pace than undergrad pace is possible.

I'd like to go back to my maths degree, and do well at it, so I can make this my full time job!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    That's mad!

Sometimes undergrad courses have more than one recommended text, but is the assumption that you just read one of them?
    The assumption is that if you are struggling, you can go to the textbooks and look for the section you need more work on. You're not supposed to read the whole recommended text.

ReputationRep:
    The assumption is that if you are struggling, you can go to the textbooks and look for the section you need more work on. You're not supposed to read the whole recommended text.
    Oh...

I can read a 400-500 page novel in under a day, but I imagine working all the exercises in a textbook and taking it all in would take significantly longer.

ReputationRep:
    They do, but paradoxically the course will almost never cover all of one book. Book by book will definitely be more maths than course by course!

Also, apparently the pace can go up at PhD level, so perhaps a higher pace than undergrad pace is possible.
    The pace does, but the scope will drop sharply, I'd suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Oh...

I can read a 400-500 page novel in under a day, but I imagine working all the exercises in a textbook and taking it all in would take significantly longer.
    Indeed! In Linear Algebra Done Right (Which I would definitely recommend) the author writes to the effect of "If you read a couple of pages in less than an hour, you're almost certainly going too fast".

ReputationRep:
    Indeed! In Linear Algebra Done Right (Which I would definitely recommend) the author writes to the effect of "If you read a couple of pages in less than an hour, you're almost certainly going too fast".
    I actually have that textbook! I was reading it on the bus yesterday, and I read that exact line!

ReputationRep:
    I actually have that textbook! I was reading it on the bus yesterday, and I read that exact line!
    Hahaha reading my post must've felt a bit mental! In any case, I think he exaggerates for his book as he is actually quite chatty; but he's definitely right for more terse books (which is probably just about all others!)

ReputationRep:
    first of all you dont read maths you work maths. and 300 textbooks wow you would deffo need to get off TSR if you want to do that and say goodbye to your social life.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha reading my post must've felt a bit mental! In any case, I think he exaggerates for his book as he is actually quite chatty; but he's definitely right for more terse books (which is probably just about all others!)
    It was weird reading your post!

I noticed that his book was pretty chatty, compared to some of my other books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    first of all you dont read maths you work maths. and 300 textbooks wow you would deffo need to get off TSR if you want to do that and say goodbye to your social life.
    Yeah I'd read the definitions, theorems and proofs, and then do the exercises by hand.

I know that I've got to get off TSR to do this! But TSR is currently providing me with an easy distraction until my mental health and focus get better and I can study. That sounds like a cop out, but I'm still studying when I can. Sometimes it feels impossible. Perhaps you've been there...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd read the definitions, theorems and proofs, and then do the exercises by hand.

I know that I've got to get off TSR to do this! But TSR is currently providing me with an easy distraction until my mental health and focus get better and I can study. That sounds like a cop out, but I'm still studying when I can. Sometimes it feels impossible. Perhaps you've been there...
    yeah i totally understand.

ReputationRep:
    Repped for your helpful responses. Thank you.

I will look into the OU, but I'm hoping my mental health will get to the point where I can study in the usual uni environment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    yeah i totally understand.
    Are you making fun of me?

I'm assuming from your username that you're not, but just wanted to be sure

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.