The Student Room Group

Is mutual fighting in a relationship considered domestic abuse? (bi relationship)

A friend of mine was dating a guy who apparently was seeing another guy while he was still seeng him exclusively. It was supposed to be a serious relationship. He got pissed about it when he found out they got in an argument and ended up fighting. Who would be the abuser and the abused? Who was in the wrong?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
A friend of mine was dating a guy who apparently was seeing another guy while he was still seeng him exclusively. It was supposed to be a serious relationship. He got pissed about it when he found out they got in an argument and ended up fighting. Who would be the abuser and the abused? Who was in the wrong?

The guy seeing someone on the side was in the wrong.
but I wouldn't consider 'mutual fighting' abuse, tempers probably flared and the argument got outta hand, it's a fight, not abuse.
Reply 2
Original post by Gjaykay
The guy seeing someone on the side was in the wrong.
but I wouldn't consider 'mutual fighting' abuse, tempers probably flared and the argument got outta hand, it's a fight, not abuse.

http://www.abuseandrelationships.org/Content/Controversies/The%20Genderedness%20of%20Violence.html

well yeah there's a term for it some of the time people look for an aggressor or just let things be basically.
If one hits the other then the other acts to defend then the aggressor is the jail bait. If however they both start thumping each other, both are at fault. The reason could be used in court for a sob story.
Reply 4
Original post by NightOwl1985
If one hits the other then the other acts to defend then the aggressor is the jail bait. If however they both start thumping each other, both are at fault. The reason could be used in court for a sob story.

Well supposedly he got in his face and wouldn't back up yelling obscenity the guy pushed him and he shoved back and then punches flew.
Brawl. Jail bait both. Probably get bail conditions not to contact each other etc....

As to the offences not sure if in England.

Scotland: Assult and if outside a Breach of the Peace with an aggravation of Domestic.

Or Threating and abusive behaviour the ''new'' Breach in Scotland.

Wholly depends on the location, reporter, witnesses , what they both say and luck. But they would be in a cell no matter what with the way the Police go into overdrive with domestics these days!
Reply 6
I think the technical term is reciprocal abuse, I'm not sure what the correct 'procedure' is though.
Reply 7
Original post by NightOwl1985
Brawl. Jail bait both. Probably get bail conditions not to contact each other etc....

As to the offences not sure if in England.

Scotland: Assult and if outside a Breach of the Peace with an aggravation of Domestic.

Or Threating and abusive behaviour the ''new'' Breach in Scotland.

Wholly depends on the location, reporter, witnesses , what they both say and luck. But they would be in a cell no matter what with the way the Police go into overdrive with domestics these days!

so the other guy could report it? After the fact?
Original post by Anonymous
so the other guy could report it? After the fact?

Yes. Either party could.

But then I would just part and move on....
Why would either bother reporting it? They had an argument, tempers flared, fisticuffs happened. If they care about each other then just kiss and make up, getting the courts involved is spiteful and a waste of everyones' time.

You make it out to be a fight, in which case both are at fault and neither are to blame. It takes two people to fight. Unless you're talking about the sort of fight where someone is actively hunting someone in their house and the defender is fighting back out of fear for their life. In which case yeah, that sounds a tad dangerous.

Here's how to sort it out without going OTT:
The person who was seeing the other guy should apologise for being a technical cheater.
The person who threw the first punch should apologise for letting their emotions get the better of them.

Why is that so difficult?
Reply 10
I am not sure, cheating is not right but abusing or hurting eachother in any relationship is not healthy either, I think they should both move on..
Original post by Drunk Punx
Why would either bother reporting it? They had an argument, tempers flared, fisticuffs happened. If they care about each other then just kiss and make up, getting the courts involved is spiteful and a waste of everyones' time.

You make it out to be a fight, in which case both are at fault and neither are to blame. It takes two people to fight. Unless you're talking about the sort of fight where someone is actively hunting someone in their house and the defender is fighting back out of fear for their life. In which case yeah, that sounds a tad dangerous.

Here's how to sort it out without going OTT:
The person who was seeing the other guy should apologise for being a technical cheater.
The person who threw the first punch should apologise for letting their emotions get the better of them.

Why is that so difficult?

I guess because one of the people won and the other person wasn't happy about it. Things seemingly seem like nothing will become of it heended up in the hospital that's why I worried about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending