Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who is at fault when you rear end a vehicle that cut you off? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was driving at the speed limit on a 2 lane road. This guy behind me was tailgating me and trying to get me to speed up as apparently he was in a hurry. He overtook me right before a bend and when he saw oncoming traffic, he turned right in front of my car and braked. I was unable to stop in time and rear ended him.

He was arguing with me and said its my fault as I hit him from behind and that he had passed me well before I hit him. Another driver witnessed the accident and I have her contact details. She was behind me and he had overtaken her right before trying to overtake me.

How will the insurance see this?

ReputationRep:
    Presumably the factors are: if there's nobody admitting liability then it's word vs word.

The evidence [without explanation] suggests you're at fault, I imagine. (Someone goes into the back of a car they're tailgating or not keeping a reasonable distance etc.)

Having a witness that will testify the other driver was acting in a dangerous way (overtake on bend)/at fault for the situation probably swings it back in your favour.

No idea, just my view on it.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't you posted like 3 times this year alone about accidents you been in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Judging by all your previous posts an your accidents, and assuming your not a troll, it's your fault.

ReputationRep:
    If you're getting into so many accidents, please stop getting in the car without an instructor. Take some extra lessons before someone gets hurt. Fair enough, you passed your test, but so many crashes in such a small amount of time probably means you still have a thing or 2 to learn.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm imagine it's your fault for not anticipating him slowing down for the corner. Once he's out in the other lane there's nothing stopping you breaking to a. make it easier for him to get back in b. avoid this situation.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately this falls under your responsibility to maintain a safe stopping distance. It's not fair but it's fairer than any other alternative.

ReputationRep:
    So much bad advice.

Its his fault as he was technically changing lanes as long as you hit him within 30m of the lane change or something.

Explain what happened, it could be called 50/50 though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsCourtney)
    I was driving at the speed limit on a 2 lane road. This guy behind me was tailgating me and trying to get me to speed up as apparently he was in a hurry. He overtook me right before a bend and when he saw oncoming traffic, he turned right in front of my car and braked. I was unable to stop in time and rear ended him.

He was arguing with me and said its my fault as I hit him from behind and that he had passed me well before I hit him. Another driver witnessed the accident and I have her contact details. She was behind me and he had overtaken her right before trying to overtake me.

That's definiteley his fault, Marlon King recently got put in prison for doing exactly the same thing. I hope the police are involved because he should be done for dangerous driving (tailgating, overtaking close to a bend, pulling across without enough room then breaking)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    That's definiteley his fault, Marlon King recently got put in prison for doing exactly the same thing. I hope the police are involved because he should be done for dangerous driving (tailgating, overtaking close to a bend, pulling across without enough room then breaking)
    Given the OP's post history I wouldn't go that far :p:

ReputationRep:
    How many accidents have you had?

Maybe this driving thing just isn't for you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Given the OP's post history I wouldn't go that far :p:
    Haha does she keep crashing all the time? Probably not quite how she told it then if it was, it was his fault for sure though.

ReputationRep:
    Haha does she keep crashing all the time? Probably not quite how she told it then if it was, it was his fault for sure though.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sear...&starteronly=1

Makes you wonder if it's just a troll or whatever :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsCourtney)

How have you not been banned from driving yet? You must have so many points now :\

And how can you even afford insurance after all these claims!?!?

Seriously if you aren't banned this time you are in serious need of some advanced driving courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sear...&starteronly=1

Makes you wonder if it's just a troll or whatever :p:
    Jesus. She would have been banned by now surely.

I had to go on a driving course when I had my accident and that was genuinely all one giant **** up...(5 accident on that junction in 6 months!)

ReputationRep:
    Jesus. She would have been banned by now surely.

I had to go on a driving course when I had my accident and that was genuinely all one giant **** up...(5 accident on that junction in 6 months!)
    I have to go on a driving course next tuesday just for speeding on the A1(M)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    What speed where you doing when you got caught?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Teach you not to speed on future

Mine was the worst, it basically destroyed all my remaining confidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by live_a_life)
    What speed where you doing when you got caught?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    84 I think?

Teach you not to speed on future

Mine was the worst, it basically destroyed all my remaining confidence.
    My car supposedly has the technology to detect speed cameras and reduce speed on the cruise control when it sees them. It didn't work on that occasion :/ Not my fault the speed limits on motorways are too low for modern cars!

I have zero idea what to expect. Some guy in a classroom droning on about dangerous driving most likely :/ Is your confidence back nows?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    84 I think?

My car supposedly has the technology to detect speed cameras and reduce speed on the cruise control when it sees them. It didn't work on that occasion :/ Not my fault the speed limits on motorways are too low for modern cars!

I have zero idea what to expect. Some guy in a classroom droning on about dangerous driving most likely :/ Is your confidence back nows?!
    Until there are no lorries on the roads/people driving under 70 they need to stay as they are because difference in speed is what causes accidents and its not really safe to be driving round at 90 when people are doing 60 on the same road.

Me, I stick to 80 or below, it doesn't really slow me down in terms of travel time.

I had some theory so : here are some accidents/hazards, why do you do/whose fault is it, then an afternoons driving round Huddersfield where the guy tore my driving to bits saying I change gear too much.

Sort of. It never quite recovered and my cars in the process of being sold now because of moving to London. I'm a good driver, I'm very safe and aware of what is around me, I just get quite anxious sometimes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.