Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter


    I'm doing a bit of university research. And I looked at Leicester as a pretty good backup choice for me. However, from what I can see, the course (Aerospace Engineering) doesn't have accreditation from the Royal Aeronautical Society; the other universities' courses I'm considering do have this accreditation. I wasn't really thinking much of it at first. But now I'm just a little bit curious. :ashamed2:

    Can anybody give me some information regarding how vital this accreditation is for an aerospace engineer, and is it really necessary?

    A quick response would be very much appreciated.

    It is worth contacting both RAeS and the university to check (accreditation has to be applied for by the university, so if it is a new course, it may not have been established just yet). It does appear to be accredited by The Engineering Council though.

    Accreditation means different things to different people. It generally implies the course contains all of the right types of modules which they believe will make you competent in that subject. For instance, I have to study a business management type module in order to get the accredited status, but there are other things to. Generally it means that the course is up to scratch and potentially "of value".

    It will also allow you to become a chartered engineer. RAeS seem quite flexible and there are ways to become accredited with enough professional experience regardless of the degree you take. In other cases, they will prescribe additional courses, such as with the Open University, for you to study. This means that you can still become chartered so long as you pass those additional qualifications, so it isn't the end of the world (but it is still ideal to get it sorted now rather than later).

    A chartered engineering (The title of "CEng") will typically have studied a 4 year degree, such as the MEng or BEng + MSc (the MSc needs to be accredited, which is a lot harder to find than the MEng. The MSc is also not covered by student finance!) and it must be followed up with sufficient professional experience in the correct areas (roughly 4 or 5 years). There is a level called "Incorporated Engineer" with the title of IEng, which requires just a BEng (or equivalent) and 3 years of professional experience.

    Being chartered, to me, just shows general competence in engineering as you have academic and professional traits which have been approved. It can give you access to higher paid jobs and gives you networking tools with that engineering council. So it is worth going for, but it isn't the end of the world if you don't go for it immediately. I am surprised that Leicester are not accredited by RAeS though, but they are by another organisation, which is probably fine.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.