Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Robin Thicke twitter crap Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So Robin Thick got torn apart on twitter.

What a pathetic bunch of whining ninnies. Why doesn't Dr Dre get torn apart for 'A ***** is a *****'? Why does Jay Z retain a saintly status despite '99 Problems'?

It seems that if you want to write sexist lyrics, you have to rap them if you want to get away with it.

Sure there's always been a few feminists that have spoken up against misogynistic rap lyrics, but there's never been such a public backlash as there has been for Blurred Lines.

What makes the whole thing particularly stupid, is that the song clearly isn't even about rape.

The song starts with Thicke singing about a woman and how she's been "domesticated" by her boyfriend but he wants to liberate her—essentially trying to talk a girl into leaving her boyfriend and getting wild with him. The lyrics say that they're dancing together and she's grabbing him (it says that SHE is grabbing HIM) but she has a boyfriend, and I believe the "blurred lines" refer to her wanting to get crazy with him but still feeling like she has to be a "good girl." Him saying "I know you want it" isn't supposed to be some sort of precursor to rape; sure, in a lot of contexts it's a very aggressive and unfortunate thing that is said to women, but people are taking it OUT of context related to this song specifically to make their own points. There is even a line in the song ("So I just watch and wait for you to salute / But you didn't pick") which clearly shows that he is waiting for HER consent, but people conveniently ignore that, too.

Just another reason why twitter is crap.

ReputationRep:
    b/c that Robin Thicke is a *******

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamu)
    b/c that Robin Thicke is a *******
    Oh yeh he's clearly a total ****. But the whole twitter thing is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    So Robin Thick got torn apart on twitter.

What a pathetic bunch of whining ninnies. Why doesn't Dr Dre get torn apart for 'A ***** is a *****'? Why does Jay Z retain a saintly status despite '99 Problems'?

It seems that if you want to write sexist lyrics, you have to rap them if you want to get away with it.

Sure there's always been a few feminists that have spoken up against misogynistic rap lyrics, but there's never been such a public backlash as there has been for Blurred Lines.

What makes the whole thing particularly stupid, is that the song clearly isn't even about rape.

The song starts with Thicke singing about a woman and how she's been "domesticated" by her boyfriend but he wants to liberate her—essentially trying to talk a girl into leaving her boyfriend and getting wild with him. The lyrics say that they're dancing together and she's grabbing him (it says that SHE is grabbing HIM) but she has a boyfriend, and I believe the "blurred lines" refer to her wanting to get crazy with him but still feeling like she has to be a "good girl." Him saying "I know you want it" isn't supposed to be some sort of precursor to rape; sure, in a lot of contexts it's a very aggressive and unfortunate thing that is said to women, but people are taking it OUT of context related to this song specifically to make their own points. There is even a line in the song ("So I just watch and wait for you to salute / But you didn't pick") which clearly shows that he is waiting for HER consent, but people conveniently ignore that, too.

Just another reason why twitter is crap.
    You're right, the song is hardly about rape. I got the impression that the outcry was due to the fact that in the video there are naked women surrounding Thicke and the other guys who are not naked but wearing suits, stubble and aviators.

Of course, the feminists don't understand that it is clearly supposed to be a campy spoof of normal rap videos type thing done to get a reaction, and they also don't understand that the suits, stubble and aviators are objectification as well. And they are furthermore completely unable to separate the video from the song lyrics. As somebody who doesn't have the time to sit around watching music videos but does sometimes hear these songs on the radio, I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about.

Feminists don't care about proper rap/hip-hop misogyny because it is seen as something that's the internal business of the black community. So for lefties it is sacred because it's "cultural", and furthermore we all know feminists only care about middle-class whites, which is the demographic the Robin Thicke song is aimed at.

Also, "99 Problems" is hardly misogynistic, it's about a bloke getting pulled over by the police due to institutional racism and contemplating how if he reacts to the situation with anger he will be the one punished. It doesn't talk about any women at all apart from saying he has a lot of problems but he does at least have a girlfriend (while getting a girlfriend seems the biggest "problem" for many other men).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.