Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Basically I have just received my results for first year and I have failed every module. This year has been one of the worst years of my life, mainly due to the fact I had a crazy toxic relationship with a girl that ended. I really want to re-take the first year again at DMU, I know I will do better this time around as I have let go of all the things that used to put me down. I know a lot of you will say "thats your fault blablabla" but I genuinely want some advice on this one.

I do computer science, I am 19, my a-level grades were not grade hence I am at DMU. One thing I am passionate about is getting this degree in computer science because I am an avid programmer. This year hasn't been about my subject at all, its been more about the uni life and my personal life that I totally neglected university lectures, labs, assignments etc. I nearly passed my modules though to say, even though I failed, I was off by a bit (37, 30, 26). What can I do now? I really want to go back to that same university, because I have made arrangements for living etc and I LOVE LEICESTER! Will they let me back in? I have been diagnosed with depression recently, and thats due to the fact I have just had a **** year but I do not know if they will accept that as an excuse? Normally people need extenctuating circumstances to re-sit the year, and ive only recently been diagnosed with depression so I don't know is it worth a shot ? I really want to re-sit the year, any advice on that would be really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Azar,

I won't go into the argument of "you should of gone to lectures etc" but I have also failed some of my first year modules at DMU (not as bad as you, but still disappointing).

Have you had an email today from your Faculty saying what you should do next? Mine gave me the option to resit the modules I failed in August (also with resits you only need to pass 3 out of 4 modules).

Also have you spoken to the Welfare team in Student Gateway? They offer counselling and should help you deal with any problems or worries you have. Whether that is to try and resit the exams, re-taking the year or doing something else relating to computer science.

You could also speak to your module tutor and ask their advice as well. If you have a doctors note about your depression, they might be lenient in letting you re-take the year.

Hope anything of this helps you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.