Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which country should I go to for studies? I intend to immigrate after studies. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know immigration is a hot topic these days in so called "white countries" etc and others to be fair too. But my predicament is real and the field I want to pursue literally has no prospects where I'm from.

I'm from an island nation called Mauritius. What is today the island consists of French and British (who brought Indian workers) heritage. We were still under Britain until 1968 after which the country became independent.

Anyway to get to the point, I want to study aeronautical engineering. I have lived in Britain years ago as a kid but left when my parent's could not renew their work permit. I have also spent holidays in France and I love both countries. Mauritius is a nice country and I do like it here, but being an island it is obviously limiting in terms of prospects. We have a relatively good standard of living and a financial sector and all but lets face it, if I came back here with an aeronautical engineering degree where would I get a job here?

I'm at loss as to what I should do and which country should I go to for studies. It is very hard for non-EU citizens to move to Britain and it seems like the commonwealth doesn't matter any more. I don't mean this in a bad way but it seems to me that this is a racist policy in a way as most EU countries tend to be white but it is what it is. If I immigrate somewhere I want to play by the rules and I'm scared of studying in the UK and getting kicked out the moment I graduate. I wish Mauritius never became independent or was returned to France like the neighboring Reunion Island was . It is not like other colonies as it had no indigenous population and what is today Mauritius was largely set up by the French and Indians brought under the British rule. I do speak French and English. I am myself mixed race (one Franco and one Indo Mauritian parent). Honestly the impression I got was that the UK was not exactly the most immigrant friendly place even if people won't be racist to you in person.

It costs a lot of money to study as an International student and I'm very worried about the debt I will incur. I think it would be wiser to study in the same country in which I want to immigrate to. If I have to return back to Mauritius after my studies, unless Airbus opens a design plant here I'm completely screwed. I Mauritius we study A Levels and are taught in English and the exams are corrected in the UK. I do speak French at home and while studying in France may be inconvenient at first I think I could handle it. France seems to be a bit cheaper too. Which countries should I consider and why? Should I look for a different degree?

I hope this doesn't come off badly and people don't think I'm a "job thief" and I do realise that people in other mainland Africa countries often have it a lot worse as they don't even have proper access to schools etc. It does feel like your hands are tied when you are from such a small Island country. I mean Hawaii would not have this problem as they could go to the US and Reunionais people could go to France. The problem in Mauritius is that a lot of people have to go overseas to study and programs like Aeronautical Engineering aren't even taught here. I honestly would be ok with returning here if I had a job here . In fact actually one of the reasons for Mauritius separating from the UK was that they wanted to lease an outer island to form a US military base. The UK did this anyway and separated that island from Mauritius (despite the original French documents stating it was part of Mauritius) prior to independence. http://www.theguardian.com/stage/201...ew-man-fridays

It seems to me like I have to face a lot of hurdles; cost of education, finding a job, immigration, being female in a male dominated field etc (I think the percentage of women interested in science and engineering is actually much higher in Mauritius than in the UK US etc). What countries should I consider. I recently starting researching universities and immigration and its much harder and stressful than I thought.

Thanks,

Lucienne

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    well... it depends on what you're studying and your interests. We can't suggest anything if we don't have any info

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.