Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have a Horrible Voice/Accent that you won't Believe! watch

ReputationRep:
    Please take this question very Seriously!

I am originally from Nigeria as i was born there but i came to England as a baby. I have basically lived in London all my life but my accent keeps changing. I used to have a good posh/Well spoken Accent but during my puberty, my voice broke and since then it has changed from having the weirdness of my voice to going to having a little Nigerian Accent. Of recent it is now turning to case of Foreign Accent Syndrome as now two people in the space of 4 months says i have a Northern Accent.

A Northern ACCENT?? A accent where i have never ever been to manchester or been to the North but i have a northern Accent.. can you ****ing believe that? i do try obviously to talk in london jafacan but the accent isn't there it's just this Northern accent of a place i've never lived in my life

Can somebody help me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O.Ozz)
    Please take this question very Seriously!

I am originally from Nigeria as i was born there but i came to England as a baby. I have basically lived in London all my life but my accent keeps changing. I used to have a good posh/Well spoken Accent but during my puberty, my voice broke and since then it has changed from having the weirdness of my voice to going to having a little Nigerian Accent. Of recent it is now turning to case of Foreign Accent Syndrome as now two people in the space of 4 months says i have a Northern Accent.

A Northern ACCENT?? A accent where i have never ever been to manchester or been to the North but i have a northern Accent.. can you ****ing believe that? i do try obviously to talk in london jafacan but the accent isn't there it's just this Northern accent of a place i've never lived in my life

Can somebody help me?
    What do you want help with?

Apart from elocution lessons, I don't think there's much you can do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caitlin_3008)
    What do you want help with?

Apart from elocution lessons, I don't think there's much you can do...
    What is Elocution lessons?? but yeah it does sound madly weird if you heard it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O.Ozz)
    What is Elocution lessons?? but yeah it does sound madly weird if you heard it
    Basically you get taught how to speak and act correctly (how to become posh )... Pronunciation, grammar, attitude and all that.

ReputationRep:
    Vocaroo your accent so we can have a listen.

http://vocaroo.com/

ReputationRep:
    Embrace it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    Vocaroo your accent so we can have a listen.

http://vocaroo.com/

maybe later..

but i have recorded my voice and to be honest i'm lost myself... I was sure many years i spoke in an Estuary accent or something posh with london slang but idk man, i live a odd life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solemn Rain)
    Embrace it.

What do you mean??

ReputationRep:
    I was born in Australia, moved to Norfolk when I was eleven.

My accent sounds American to most people, or even South African to some.

I would say embrace it; it's your own unique accent. Nobody will care so long as they can understand you.

ReputationRep:
    Basically you get taught how to speak and act correctly (how to become posh )... Pronunciation, grammar, attitude and all that.
    oh that, i was watching the london accent on youtube and whilst i understood what was said and i can imitate it, it just sound enough gritty (if you know london accents are)

ReputationRep:
    Its your 'unique selling point' - now its down to you how you want to market it for your own benefit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O.Ozz)
    oh that, i was watching the london accent on youtube and whilst i understood what was said and i can imitate it, it just sound enough gritty (if you know london accents are)
    What do you mean? Do you want a London accent?

ReputationRep:
    I know you said to take this seriously but I think it's hilarious... I don't think it would actually ever matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MangoFreak)
    I was born in Australia, moved to Norfolk when I was eleven.

My accent sounds American to most people, or even South African to some.

I would say embrace it; it's your own unique accent. Nobody will care so long as they can understand you.
    I can't Embrace it, because it's sort of embarassing.. at least probably i should be happy i have some sort of a british acccent

ReputationRep:
    Speech therapy? A northan accent isn't that bad, could be worse
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    When most people hear their voice it sounds horrible. I dislike mine. However as long as people understand what you're saying and you speak correctly it is all that matters.

ReputationRep:
    Get over it?

ReputationRep:
    Ermmm that's actually really rude. Northern accents aren't horrible. If anything, Nigerian accents are literally the worst accents ever.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean? Do you want a London accent?
    I should have a london accent, and i believed at one point i used to have one but idk :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I think the purpose of this was that i am having A Northern Accent (as people say) when i live in London and the aim was that i have never been been to the North of England or Manchester so the worry is that why do i have it and will it ever go away?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.