Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a PGCE this year and will be getting a bursary and im planning on saving some of it to do a PPE degree. I am planning on saving around £6500.

However, which would put me in the best position to possibly enter a career in politics?

1) BA PPE Open University 3 years - distance learning
    2) MA PPE University of York 1.5 years - on campus

Will doing the masters from an unrelated undergraduate degree (computer science - no undergraduate PPE degree is needed) put me in a worse position than if I did the BA 3 years over time distance learning?

The pros of the open university BA option is that its distance learning meaning I can work as a teacher and fund it from working but in total that's about £15k expenditure.

The pros of the York Uni MA option is that its shorter, on campus, a masters and £6200 in course costs - so much cheaper - obviously I need living costs to factor in as well.

Any help on this from those within the PPE area would be of great help.

Thanks in advance,

Sanctimonious.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by a 'career in politics'? Civil service, MP, or even Prime Minister? Why do you seem to think a politics degree is a prerequisite to get into politics?

http://sciencecampaign.org.uk/?p=1451 <-- Whole bunch of MPs from Science backgrounds, incl a couple of Comp Scientists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)
    What do you mean by a 'career in politics'? Civil service, MP, or even Prime Minister?
    Civil service.

Why do you seem to think a politics degree is a prerequisite to get into politics?
    I know its not but I want to study PPE and broaden my knowledge of such before entering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctimonious)
    I'm doing a PGCE this year and will be getting a bursary and im planning on saving some of it to do a PPE degree. I am planning on saving around £6500.

However, which would put me in the best position to possibly enter a career in politics?

1) BA PPE Open University 3 years - distance learning
    2) MA PPE University of York 1.5 years - on campus

Will doing the masters from an unrelated undergraduate degree (computer science - no undergraduate PPE degree is needed) put me in a worse position than if I did the BA 3 years over time distance learning?

The pros of the open university BA option is that its distance learning meaning I can work as a teacher and fund it from working but in total that's about £15k expenditure.

The pros of the York Uni MA option is that its shorter, on campus, a masters and £6200 in course costs - so much cheaper - obviously I need living costs to factor in as well.

Any help on this from those within the PPE area would be of great help.

Thanks in advance,

Sanctimonious.
    I think you need a few points of advice
    1) Why are you taking a PGCE if you don't want to be a teacher? It's a huge waste of money and time for you to undertake such an intensive course if your aim isn't to be a teacher.
    2) Neither option you are mentioning will put you in a better position. The only academic requirement for the main civil service fast stream is a 2:2 degree which can be in any subject. Then the rest is down to how well you answer the competency questions, perform in the online tests, the assessment centre days and the interviews. None of them test your knowledge of politics, they test how you deal with situations, your English and maths e.c.t
    3) You would struggle to work as a teacher and do an BA. Bare in mind as a teacher you don't get free evenings and the weekend and holidays aren't all free time to do what you want either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    I think you need a few points of advice
    1) Why are you taking a PGCE if you don't want to be a teacher? It's a huge waste of money and time for you to undertake such an intensive course if your aim isn't to be a teacher.
    I do wish to be a teacher. I want to have my long term goals set out as well. Its not a waste of money as I get a bursary for undertaking it. Even if I go on to do a PhD which is my plan eventually then my experience from being a teacher will help me with delivery at university level if I take on teaching responsibilities. My aim at the moment is to become a teacher but I do have longer term ambitions although I won't be considering these for at least a good while yet. I just like to plan quite a bit ahead to do my research well in advance as I did with my first degree

2) Neither option you are mentioning will put you in a better position. The only academic requirement for the main civil service fast stream is a 2:2 degree which can be in any subject. Then the rest is down to how well you answer the competency questions, perform in the online tests, the assessment centre days and the interviews. None of them test your knowledge of politics, they test how you deal with situations, your English and maths e.c.t
    Fair enough Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctimonious)
    I do wish to be a teacher. I want to have my long term goals set out as well. Its not a waste of money as I get a bursary for undertaking it. Even if I go on to do a PhD which is my plan eventually then my experience from being a teacher will help me with delivery at university level if I take on teaching responsibilities. My aim at the moment is to become a teacher but I do have longer term ambitions although I won't be considering these for at least a good while yet. I just like to plan quite a bit ahead to do my research well in advance as I did with my first degree

Fair enough Thanks.
    That's fine then, it just seemed like you wanting the PGCE as something to do for a year before you go onto a PPE degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    That's fine then, it just seemed like you wanting the PGCE as something to do for a year before you go onto a PPE degree.
    Couldn't afford it even if I wanted to do that I'm committed to teaching but:

a) im realistic and no I may not like it or find its not for me

and:

b) even if I do I'd like to have knowledge of an area I'd like to go into if I want a change in career direction etc.

Thanks for answering btw

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.