Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would like a summer job, but that probably won't happen unless I wanted to carry it on for the rest of the year. I'm 16 with no experience. I'm going to be hopefully starting sixth form soon to do A-Levels. I know I'm going to have a tonne of books to read and essays to write. My sixth form is over an hour away (I have to take two buses). Because of that, I will be home at maybe between 5pm and 6pm, and do work and eat dinner etc. I thought about a weekend job but then one day of the weekend I spend the day with my dad as I don't live with him. The other day I go to my grandma's (every fortnight), do household jobs like ironing, and probably will use that day to do school work. I can't see that I would have time for a job, what do you think? Should I concentrate on my A-Levels solely or try to balance it out?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wait till you start college. Give it a couple weeks and settle into college. See if you can optimise your time and fit in working say one a day a week. If you can then get a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    Wait till you start college. Give it a couple weeks and settle into college. See if you can optimise your time and fit in working say one a day a week. If you can then get a job.
    Thank you, good idea, I need to get used to my workload first:rolleyes:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunesfool)
    Thank you, good idea, I need to get used to my workload first:rolleyes:
    Yep best idea. For example I thought i'd have loads of work to do and be bogged down. I ended up not being that busy with work to do from my subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, due to the current economic climate I doubt anyone who hasn't even started A-Levels yet will catch any employer's attention

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    Yep best idea. For example I thought i'd have loads of work to do and be bogged down. I ended up not being that busy with work to do from my subjects.
    Thanks I anticipate a lot of reading and essays..:confused:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I anticipate a lot of reading and essays..:confused:
    What subjects will you be doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    What subjects will you be doing?

I'm thinking Eng Lit, History, Philosophy and Law (was thinking Biology but then I realised I'm rubbish at it).
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking Eng Lit, History, Philosophy and Law (was thinking Biology but then I realised I'm rubbish at it).
    I don't do any of those subjects but my friends do. History people at my college get lots of book excersizes and long questions to do. Eng lit is a lot of reading. Always see them reading books. The others I can't comment on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    I don't do any of those subjects but my friends do. History people at my college get lots of book excersizes and long questions to do. Eng lit is a lot of reading. Always see them reading books. The others I can't comment on.
    Thank you yep lots of work I imagine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Yeah, due to the current economic climate I doubt anyone who hasn't even started A-Levels yet will catch any employer's attention
    That's what I was thinking, but I heard a lot of people in school talk about getting jobs and interviews. I think a lot of it is about who you know, to be honest.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.