Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I posted a thread a week or so ago about taking my roommate to small claims court

"Basically I have a flat with this girl and we've ended up with a £600 electricity bill for our first 4 months which is crazy, and I haven't been in the flat to use the electricity so my flatmate said she'd pay the bill,

I have asked her time and time again to set up the payment plan to pay the bill etc etc and she keeps saying she will and she just hasn't done it and we got the bill in April. We have another month or we're going to get the debt collectors to the door for it.

I've told her how to set it up and everything all she has to do is fill the information in etc but she just hasn't done it.

I have texts to prove that I wasn't there in the flat and that she was going to pay it.

I was thinking just paying the bill myself and taking her to small claims court over the money she owes."

I give her another chance because she said she was going to pay it and she still hasn't set up the payment plan or anything and I'm getting the feeling she won't because it's been nearly 3 months now. So small claims court is my last chance really.

I was just wondering a few things about it ...

1. How do they get her to pay up the money if I win? I know she can afford to pay it because she has a full time job and she gets around £200/300 a week

2. How long does the claim usually take to go through and for a judgement to be made?

3. What happens if she doesn't pay the money?

Any other advice would be helpful, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that the court will take the money out of earnings, also it can take a month or more but usually what happens is that as soon as they receive the letter from the court they do have to reply to it either to submit a defence or agree to pay. usually though because they do not want to take the route of going to court they usually pay up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwcameras)
    I would say that the court will take the money out of earnings, also it can take a month or more but usually what happens is that as soon as they receive the letter from the court they do have to reply to it either to submit a defence or agree to pay. usually though because they do not want to take the route of going to court they usually pay up
    Thanks for the help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.