Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys I'm going to apply to do chemical engineering and cambridge is one of my options and I was wondering whether dropping physics after AS would be a good idea, so then I can take up AS further maths with a mechanics 2 module as one of the applied modules. The reason why I want to drop physics is because I can't stand the subject or even the teacher, where the collective opinions of the class believe that he is terrible. Although I'm not enjoying physics, I am enjoying mechanics quite a lot, which is why I want to take up as further maths at year 13 as I didn't in the beginning of year 12, however in order to do so, I would have to drop physics as the time tabling slots requires me to do so. In this case, would I be disadvantaged in not doing a2 physics or even 4 a2 levels, even though I want to do chem eng by going down the natural science route?

Im currently taking maths, chemistry, biology and physics.

(edit: specifically taking biology of cells, chemistry and materials science for nat sci)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by League_Masters)
    Hello guys I'm going to apply to do chemical engineering and cambridge is one of my options and I was wondering whether dropping physics after AS would be a good idea, so then I can take up AS further maths with a mechanics 2 module as one of the applied modules. The reason why I want to drop physics is because I can't stand the subject or even the teacher, where the collective opinions of the class believe that he is terrible. Although I'm not enjoying physics, I am enjoying mechanics quite a lot, which is why I want to take up as further maths at year 13 as I didn't in the beginning of year 12, however in order to do so, I would have to drop physics as the time tabling slots requires me to do so. In this case, would I be disadvantaged in not doing a2 physics or even 4 a2 levels, even though I want to do chem eng by going down the natural science route?

Im currently taking maths, chemistry, biology and physics.
    No. Do not drop physics, it's essentially a requirement for PhysNatSci. I would suggest dropping biology and picking up AS Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    You will not get into any decent engineering course or physical natural sciences course without physics A-level. An engineering degree (even chemical), is mostly applied maths and applied physics, so if you hate A-level physics then an engineering degree is not for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groundearth)
    You will not get into any decent engineering course or physical natural sciences course without physics A-level. An engineering degree (even chemical), is mostly applied maths and applied physics, so if you hate A-level physics then an engineering degree is not for you.

But im not sure about that, given that my other chem eng options at bath, birmingham, imperial and manchester dont require physics to a2, only chemistry and maths as long as im doing a mechanics module, as stated i would be doing two moduls of mechanics, which will cover and go further into mechanics than a2 physics anyway, of which mechanics is heavily central in chemical engineering and is my main favourite thing in physics.

Also I know someone who went to bath uni for chem eng without physics so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by League_Masters)
    But im not sure about that, given that my other chem eng options at bath, birmingham, imperial and manchester dont require physics to a2, only chemistry and maths as long as im doing a mechanics module, as stated i would be doing two moduls of mechanics, which will cover and go further into mechanics than a2 physics anyway, of which mechanics is heavily central in chemical engineering and is my main favourite thing in physics.

Also I know someone who went to bath uni for chem eng without physics so?
    Every other applicant with have physics at A2; you won't stand a chance without it. They say you can get in without it to cover themselves, but in context of all the other applicants, it won't happen. Knowing somebody doesn't mean anything; for one it's Bath and not Cambridge or Imperial. Your GCSEs (in your other threads), are not to the same standard as other Cambridge and Imperial engineering applicants, who will have strings of A* grades at GCSE and A2 physics and further maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groundearth)
    Every other applicant with have physics at A2; you won't stand a chance without it. They say you can get in without it to cover themselves, but in context of all the other applicants, it won't happen. Knowing somebody doesn't mean anything; for one it's Bath and not Cambridge or Imperial. Your GCSEs (in your other threads), are not to the same standard as other Cambridge and Imperial engineering applicants, who will have strings of A* grades at GCSE and A2 physics and further maths.

Perhaps, but we are yet to know my ums modules anyhow, of which Cambridge strongly looks at. But simply stating that it is to cover themselves doesnt sound right, if they wanted to have a2 physics for sure, then they would state that, otherwise it would just be assuming things. Yes my GCSE arent to the same standards and i am aware of that, i do not need you to remind me.
    Surely doing further maths with mechanics 2 module would be more beneficial than physics a2 given that the mechanics in physics will be grossly oversimplified and other topics such as electic/magnetic fields, capacitors, astrophysics is simply not advantageous to learn for chemical engineering? In the case of Cambridge, i wouldn't want to pick physics anyhow, rather biology of cells, materials and chemistry for my sciences in nat sci first year, something which none of them require physics a2 (for materials they state either chemistry or physics, no previous knowledge.)
    What im simply asking is if as further maths would be more beneficial than a2 physics, given the reasons i mentioned above?
    (Sorry if im sounding bit mean, not trying to)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparticus515)
    No. Do not drop physics, it's essentially a requirement for PhysNatSci. I would suggest dropping biology and picking up AS Further Maths.

Unfortunately i cant do as further maths with physics a2 due to timetabling clashes

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to do A2 physics, I would question your decision to apply for physical natural sciences > ChemEng.

My advice would be to just do A2 physics (Cambridge will not see your UMS for A2) so nothing looks amiss there, and pick up FM. Hopefully, you get an offer which is A*AA and that means it doesn't matter what you get in A2 physics, and then once you're in you can just not do physics as a IA option. Of course, they may specify physics in the offer - which means you'll just have to bear it for another year. But A2 physics isn't particularly stretching, getting an A there shouldn't be too much to ask.

If you can't put up with/ bear with physics A2 and decide to drop it then I strongly suspect that this would count against you (even with AS FM).

Also @ the whole timetable clash thing... you'll just have to teach yourself. This is quite common for anyone who's looking to do 4+ subjects at any school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llewellyn)
    If you don't want to do A2 physics, I would question your decision to apply for physical natural sciences > ChemEng.

My advice would be to just do A2 physics (Cambridge will not see your UMS for A2) so nothing looks amiss there, and pick up FM. Hopefully, you get an offer which is A*AA and that means it doesn't matter what you get in A2 physics, and then once you're in you can just not do physics as a IA option. Of course, they may specify physics in the offer - which means you'll just have to bear it for another year. But A2 physics isn't particularly stretching, getting an A there shouldn't be too much to ask.

If you can't put up with/ bear with physics A2 and decide to drop it then I strongly suspect that this would count against you (even with AS FM).

Also @ the whole timetable clash thing... you'll just have to teach yourself. This is quite common for anyone who's looking to do 4+ subjects at any school.

thank you for the reply, yes it seems as if doing the three sciences and maths a level would be more beneficial for me, . It's not that I find it hard, but having lessons with my physics teacher is just disgustingly irritating. I suppose I can just self teach further maths as, would make me appear more hardworking I suppose. In the end I will have to wait till my AS results come out then we shall see. Thank you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.