Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Help with finding a job watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished my A Level exams and have predicted grades of Computing - C, Economics - B and English Literature - B. In conjunction with this all of my GCSE grades are A*s/As.

I decided against going university as I am clueless on what it is I want to do and I would rather wait a year and improve on my AS grades from last year (CDDD), that is if I do decide to go university at all.

My main problem is that I am overwhelmed by the vast variety of jobs available and don't know what job sector/industry would best suit myself. So far I have only been applying for business/administration jobs and sales jobs but this is only because they appear less daunting than others.

Additionally, another problem has arisen where I am unsure of my worth and consequently what I should be paid. I have received phone calls but declined job opportunities where I felt the pay was unsubstantial (an apprenticeship in administration offering £2.70 an hour working 4 days a week). I would feel like an underachiever earning anything less than £18k a year as a starting salary as I have friends without A Levels earning more in an apprenticeship. However, am I valuing myself too highly as it is difficult to find jobs matching this criteria when searching online?

So far, I have had a look on Monster, TotalJobs and Jobsite. Is there a more efficient way of finding a job?

To summarise:

1) What job sector would be applicable to someone with predicted A Level grades of Computing - C, Economics - B and English - B?

2) In my first job, what should I expect to get paid with these grades?

3) How should I go about looking for a job?

Thank you in advance, any help that you guys can provide me with will be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    If you dont know what job sector to go into, try doing career tests online, I used Sokanu which is great in my opinion. Computing is obviously work with computers, economics would be into the business and finance sector e.g. accounting, financial advisor etc. English would be teaching I`d say, the only one I can think of related to it lol
    How much you get paid depends on where you apply to be honest, and who you work for. While looking for jobs, Most of them seem to be around £6-something an hour.
    You can either look locally for a job or online, here are some sites I know:
    - Indeed
    - Totaljobs
    - cv-library
    - Gumtree
    - E4S (employment4students)

Hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    Career tests can be useful but sometimes quite generic. I would always say you need to play to your strengths bu you need to nail your skillset first to know what these are. It would seem you have good numerate skills and I;m sure you can add to that. Have you got a careers advisor at school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TAD123)
    I have just finished my A Level exams and have predicted grades of Computing - C, Economics - B and English Literature - B. In conjunction with this all of my GCSE grades are A*s/As.

I decided against going university as I am clueless on what it is I want to do and I would rather wait a year and improve on my AS grades from last year (CDDD), that is if I do decide to go university at all.

My main problem is that I am overwhelmed by the vast variety of jobs available and don't know what job sector/industry would best suit myself. So far I have only been applying for business/administration jobs and sales jobs but this is only because they appear less daunting than others.

Additionally, another problem has arisen where I am unsure of my worth and consequently what I should be paid. I have received phone calls but declined job opportunities where I felt the pay was unsubstantial (an apprenticeship in administration offering £2.70 an hour working 4 days a week). I would feel like an underachiever earning anything less than £18k a year as a starting salary as I have friends without A Levels earning more in an apprenticeship. However, am I valuing myself too highly as it is difficult to find jobs matching this criteria when searching online?

So far, I have had a look on Monster, TotalJobs and Jobsite. Is there a more efficient way of finding a job?

To summarise:

1) What job sector would be applicable to someone with predicted A Level grades of Computing - C, Economics - B and English - B?

2) In my first job, what should I expect to get paid with these grades?

3) How should I go about looking for a job?

Thank you in advance, any help that you guys can provide me with will be greatly appreciated.
    (Original post by Mav455)
    Hi
    If you dont know what job sector to go into, try doing career tests online, I used Sokanu which is great in my opinion. Computing is obviously work with computers, economics would be into the business and finance sector e.g. accounting, financial advisor etc. English would be teaching I`d say, the only one I can think of related to it lol
    How much you get paid depends on where you apply to be honest, and who you work for. While looking for jobs, Most of them seem to be around £6-something an hour.
    You can either look locally for a job or online, here are some sites I know:
    - Indeed
    - Totaljobs
    - cv-library
    - Gumtree
    - E4S (employment4students)

Hope that helped
    Thank you for the advice, I will definitely look into the career tests and the job websites you provided

(Original post by TheCareersGuy)
    Career tests can be useful but sometimes quite generic. I would always say you need to play to your strengths bu you need to nail your skillset first to know what these are. It would seem you hh fave good numerate skills and I;m sure you can add to that. Have you got a careers advisor at school?
    Yes, but I have finished sixth form now and foolishly never took the opportunity to see her.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.