The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Armadillo
The article points out that they were selling the wedges for almost a 700% mark-up. Do you think that this exploits customers at all?

That's quite low for Domino's from what I've heard. I know a couple of people who work (well, one of them has now quit) at Dominoes and apparently it costs them about £1 to make one of their large pizzas, which at my local outlet is £18 for something with a topping.
Wear I used to work (independent pub/resturant) you could buy some battered king prawns for about 6quid .... what you didnt know is they came from a 2pound bag of prawns from iceland ... so probably cost about 10p a prawn ... each portion someone orderd had about 5 prawns in it so you were paying 6 quid for a dish that cost less than 50p ...
Anyone who has ever worked in catering knows that telling a customer they can't have something because there's none left is like a cardinal sin. If you run out of something unexpectedly, you go buy it.
Original post by Maharaniii
I go to chip shops that sell other peoples' chips all the time, I even believe some are from the frozen "goods" section :smile:

I strongly suspect that dominoes wedges come frozen and precoated from a food service company or are produced for Dominoes as private label product, possibly on the exact same lines as the Aldi ones.

in the deep dark past I had a summer job for a poultry processing company ( same one was my dad was senior manager for ), they produced (at that time) stuff for tesco, sainsbury, co-op, morrisons, and were the the Uk source of burgers and 'popcorn chicken' for KFC ( see comment about 'private label' contracts ...

prior to working for the poultry processing co my Dad worked for one of the household names in crisps and like snacks, again most of the supermarkets had contracts with them and/or some of the other household name crisp and snack makers ...
your 'fake' Frazzles or Skips may well be the real thing ...
(edited 9 years ago)

quotes

The article points out that they were selling the wedges for almost a 700% mark-up. Do you think that this exploits customers at all?

Why stop there? You might as well argue any profit constitutes exploitation since they sell it for less than they buy/produce it.

quotes

Of course it doesn't. Welcome to the world of business by cheap, sell high.
Original post by Jam'
I disagree. Fresh store bought pizzas are way better quality. You go to dominoes for convenience - it's all cooked and ready to eat.

It's probably more convenient to pick up a pizza while you're at the supermarket anyway, then chuck it in the oven for 10 minutes, than it is to find a menu, ring up, order and wait 40 minutes. People get dominos because they prefer them.
Reply 47
Original post by manchesterunited15
It's probably more convenient to pick up a pizza while you're at the supermarket anyway, then chuck it in the oven for 10 minutes, than it is to find a menu, ring up, order and wait 40 minutes. People get dominos because they prefer them.

When people order dominoes they're usually not at the store?

So, given a realistic situation where a person would consider a dominoes they're probably not 'at the supermarket'.

Latest