The Student Room Group

Are teachers given the ability to read your papers before there sent away and marked?

I am 17 and in year 12 should be going in to year 13 in September however doubt that is happening now. I know exactly what career I want and having to resit this year will put me back a lot.

I unexpectedly fell pregnant with my boyfriend in December and I made the hard choice to keep the child, however I wanted it to stay a secret for as long as possible out of fear of what people would think and that my school would tell me to leave. My family and very close friends obviously knew but apart from that I didn't want anyone else to know. I had major complications all throughout my pregnancy caused mainly due the the fact that im severely anemic and the pregnancy made it worse. Some days I was even unable to get up with out falling over with dizziness, due to this I had an awful lot of time off and missed out on a lot.

Sadly and devastatingly I had to abort my baby in May when I was 6 months pregnant. It was a very very hard decision and not one that I could really avoid. I was told that the baby has downsyndrome but as well as that it hard stomach and heart issues and it would be unlikely that the baby would survive more than a few days after birth. I know some people may not agree with my choice but I didn't want the baby to be in pain.

Despite this I attended all my exams and revised as well as i could at the time. I tried my best and thats all I could do. My mocks didn't go particularly well I think I got CDD.

Anyway my teacher emailed today saying that I have been taken off role because I haven't been attending. She also said that "it doesn't look like I will have the minimum grades of a D to return to year 13 studies"

How does she know this? she has really worried me as I tried my best. Are the teachers allowed to look at students exam papers before there sent off or is she basing it on my absence and mock results?
Thanks
They are not supposed to have access to your papers before they are sent off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you need 3 D's overall to continue?

As soon as you leave the exam hall they are collected and placed under secure conditions - your teacher is probably speculating based on your attendance.
Reply 3
Your teacher wouldn't be able to see the papers - that could lead to all sorts of cheating accusations. She will be basing her assessment on your attendance and what she has seen from you in class.
No, the papers are taken away and sent off by the exams officers. Teachers don't see them. Even if they did, there is no way to work out the grade without the mark scheme and grade boundaries.
May I suggest that rushing forward to the next year with such a poor year behind you will be a struggle anyway. Whether you feel it is a good thing or it is convenient to you a resit year is the best choice in the long run.
Original post by AvrilWilson

How does she know this? she has really worried me as I tried my best. Are the teachers allowed to look at students exam papers before there sent off or is she basing it on my absence and mock results?
Thanks

She doesn't, teacher's do not have access nor are allowed to look at your papers before they're sent off. It's your absence and mock results that made her come to that conclusion. I think, however, that they won't actually come to the decision of not allowing you to continue with Year 13 until they see your real results, and that email she sent you was just a warning of what they predict will be ahead.

For all they know, you could have gotten AAA for your real AS or something. No one knows until results day arrives.
The only way a teacher would see them is if they marked them then sent them off, like, our chemistry practical papers are marked by the teacher then sent off, but apart from that no, she was probably basing it off predictions/grades through out the year.

Quick Reply

Latest