Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, my first time on this forum.
    Was wondering what you guys think about my situation - I want to apply to grad medicine (4yr course because self funding 5yr course is impossible right now).

I will have a pass-merit MSc hopefully the latter by October 2014.
    I have a 2.1 BSc hons in life sciences
    I have 2yrs experience in hospital (non clinical role) and odd one or two week shadowing experience in clinical setting.

So..
    Do you think I stand a chance at applying for the 4yr accelerated Medical route here in UK?
    I am only pessimistic about getting in because I have tried 2X already and have messed up UKCAT. I am dyspraxic and I can't get past the 560 mark average score hence I have never even been offered an interview.

Any advise, tips and personal stories would be appreciated and much needed. Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedD25)
    Hi guys, my first time on this forum.
    Was wondering what you guys think about my situation - I want to apply to grad medicine (4yr course because self funding 5yr course is impossible right now).

I will have a pass-merit MSc hopefully the latter by October 2014.
    I have a 2.1 BSc hons in life sciences
    I have 2yrs experience in hospital (non clinical role) and odd one or two week shadowing experience in clinical setting.

So..
    Do you think I stand a chance at applying for the 4yr accelerated Medical route here in UK?
    I am only pessimistic about getting in because I have tried 2X already and have messed up UKCAT. I am dyspraxic and I can't get past the 560 mark average score hence I have never even been offered an interview.

Any advise, tips and personal stories would be appreciated and much needed. Thanks guys!
    I'm sure you could get better at the UKCAT, you jsut need to practice more, because i'm not sure how exactly duspraxia affects your ability to do the UKCAT?... isn't dyspraxia a condition that affects motor coordination? And in which case, they should give you more time to do that UKCAT isn't it?

Alternatively you could do the GAMSAT. While its a horrible exam, it is based on actual learning, so you should be able to do good in that too if you revised enough.

Another option is to choose universities with no entrance exams (bristol?)

(apologies if I seemed condescending! I only briefly read up on the symptoms of dyspraxia, and therefore if the condition affects you in other ways, sorry!)

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you've looked into UKCATSEN?

ReputationRep:
    If you have decent A levels Cambridge doesn't make grads sit an entrance exam. But for the majority you will need to get a competitive score in the UKCAT or look at GAMSAT unis, the test is pretty brutal but it's pen and paper and you get a lot of time to demonstrate what you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freyr)
    I'm sure you could get better at the UKCAT, you jsut need to practice more, because i'm not sure how exactly duspraxia affects your ability to do the UKCAT?... isn't dyspraxia a condition that affects motor coordination? And in which case, they should give you more time to do that UKCAT isn't it?

Alternatively you could do the GAMSAT. While its a horrible exam, it is based on actual learning, so you should be able to do good in that too if you revised enough.

Another option is to choose universities with no entrance exams (bristol?)

(apologies if I seemed condescending! I only briefly read up on the symptoms of dyspraxia, and therefore if the condition affects you in other ways, sorry!)

Hi, thank you for your reply. It is spot on, I think I could do better given I study a bit harder and more for it.
    I have very poor working memory - part of my dyspraxia spectrum. It means my brain slows down and actually shuts off when I get to abstract reasoning and of course I have looked into UKCATSEN so hopefully that will help.

GAMSAT I would consider - except most of the unis that accept this form of exam also want decent A-levels (as the case with unis like Bristol). I didn't do so great at A-levels, hence I ended up at a tangent from the direction I actually wanted to go.

I will contact some GAMSAT unis and see if those rules still apply and how they approach A-levels these days.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thank you for your reply. It is spot on, I think I could do better given I study a bit harder and more for it.
    I have very poor working memory - part of my dyspraxia spectrum. It means my brain slows down and actually shuts off when I get to abstract reasoning and of course I have looked into UKCATSEN so hopefully that will help.

GAMSAT I would consider - except most of the unis that accept this form of exam also want decent A-levels (as the case with unis like Bristol). I didn't do so great at A-levels, hence I ended up at a tangent from the direction I actually wanted to go.

I will contact some GAMSAT unis and see if those rules still apply and how they approach A-levels these days.
    Notts, Swansea and, if memory serves correctly, SGUL have no A level requirements. That's half the GAMSAT schools there, not sure about the others so can't comment. It seems to me though that the GAMSAT thoroughly examines A level science knowledge so asking for A levels would be redundant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Notts, Swansea and, if memory serves correctly, SGUL have no A level requirements. That's half the GAMSAT schools there, not sure about the others so can't comment. It seems to me though that the GAMSAT thoroughly examines A level science knowledge so asking for A levels would be redundant.

Hi zorg.. thanks for the info you've been very helpful I appreciate it.
    I was wondering - what are your thoughts on BMAT? Is it worth giving this a shot too just to cover all my chances.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi zorg.. thanks for the info you've been very helpful I appreciate it.
    I was wondering - what are your thoughts on BMAT? Is it worth giving this a shot too just to cover all my chances.

Thanks
    Didn't really ever look in to BMAT, can't really comment. Sorry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.