Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying BSc (Hons) Astronomy and Planetary sciences with the Open University. My ultimate ambition is to have a career in scientific research.

I'm currently in my first year, and I've received an offer from Leicester University for entry into their MPhys Physics with Astrophysics programme -- I would be entering into the first year.

The MPhys would certainly put me on the right track to a career in research. However, it would also represent a step back as I would essentially be starting my undergraduate degree again. Moreover, I quite enjoy distance learning.

If I was to continue with the OU, what chances do I fare when applying for a PhD? With a degree from the OU, is a masters a requisite for a PhD?

More broadly speaking, is a masters a requisite for a career in research (astronomy, astrophysics, etc)?

Many thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenBancroft)
    I'm currently studying BSc (Hons) Astronomy and Planetary sciences with the Open University. My ultimate ambition is to have a career in scientific research.

I'm currently in my first year, and I've received an offer from Leicester University for entry into their MPhys Physics with Astrophysics programme -- I would be entering into the first year.

The MPhys would certainly put me on the right track to a career in research. However, it would also represent a step back as I would essentially be starting my undergraduate degree again. Moreover, I quite enjoy distance learning.

If I was to continue with the OU, what chances do I fare when applying for a PhD? With a degree from the OU, is a masters a requisite for a PhD?

More broadly speaking, is a masters a requisite for a career in research (astronomy, astrophysics, etc)?

Many thanks in advance
    Problem with distance learning:
    - Your Thesis will have to be theoretically.
    - No possibility to work in research groups, talk to professors, work closely with a supervisor (references!)
    - No exchange year
    - Nearly no network, not in the sense of old boys, but in the sense of getting informations regarding interesting professors, working conditions, interesting topics, symposiums, ...

A Master is somehow expected if you want to do a PHD in Natural Science, yes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.