Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to get my first car thats under £2000, and also under 60k mileage.

Preferably I want a 1.2 car, something like this
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1-3l?logcode=p
    Is that any good? Vauxhall corsa 1.2? I also do around 50 miles per week so how much would petrol cost on a car like that? weekly

ReputationRep:
    Bugatti Veyron

ReputationRep:
    nissan micra

ReputationRep:
    Why does it have to be under 60k millage.

ReputationRep:
    Ideal first car .... Toyota aygo the now old model simple little puddle jumper and sumit to sink your teeth into ;-) AND cheap on insurance :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daydreamer93)
    I'm looking to get my first car thats under £2000, and also under 60k mileage.

Preferably I want a 1.2 car, something like this
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1-3l?logcode=p
    Is that any good? Vauxhall corsa 1.2? I also do around 50 miles per week so how much would petrol cost on a car like that? weekly
    That is a car you need to sit in and drive it a couple of times before committing to one especially if you will be doing long distance driving in it. Many people, me included found the seats in all GM cars of that era to be quite crap and uncomfortable when compared to other cars in its class.

I'd probably give this one a skip, would rather buy a Micra or a Yaris of the same era.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    Bugatti Veyron
    Yeah but stuff in the realms of my mind don't count

(Original post by Camoxide)
    Why does it have to be under 60k millage.
    It doesn't have to necessarily be under 60k I just normally look for the lowest mileage possible.

(Original post by Alfissti)
    That is a car you need to sit in and drive it a couple of times before committing to one especially if you will be doing long distance driving in it. Many people, me included found the seats in all GM cars of that era to be quite crap and uncomfortable when compared to other cars in its class.

I'd probably give this one a skip, would rather buy a Micra or a Yaris of the same era.
    Hmm I know the micra is really cheap and easy to drive but my gosh they are the ugliest cars no offence, thats probably the one car I can't get myself to buy. What about a Renault clio? the old polo model? ford KA? Hyundai getz? Suzuki alto? or how about this Toyota yaris http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...Cnew?logcode=p

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but stuff in the realms of my mind don't count

It doesn't have to necessarily be under 60k I just normally look for the lowest mileage possible.

Hmm I know the micra is really cheap and easy to drive but my gosh they are the ugliest cars no offence, thats probably the one car I can't get myself to buy. What about a Renault clio? the old polo model? ford KA? Hyundai getz? Suzuki alto? or how about this Toyota yaris http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...Cnew?logcode=p

Buy a car based on condition rather than how little miles it has done. Many times seen cars with seemingly low miles that wasn't exactly in that great a condition and did give the vibe that it had been poorly maintained.

Clio : Too many electrical gremlins, best to not bother with one unless you know how to deal with it. Personally I think its best not to buy any old French cars as many of the sensors tend to go and aren't cheap to replace especially if it is anything to do with the emissions.

Polo : Depends, 1.2 12v models are decent cars, early model 1.4FSI ones are best stayed far away from. Usually a bit overpriced for what it is, might as well buy a Skoda Fabia or a Seat Ibiza of the same vintage and have some money left over for your first road trip

KA : Generally not worth buying unless it is a sub £1k car and hasn't started rusting away. The VW Lupo and Seat Arosa are way better cars.

Alto : They are decent cars and as a first car it isn't bad, reliable but not that refined or comfortable for long trips. The Swift is a way better car if your budget could stretch to one. The Kia Picanto and Daihatsu Sirion are better cheaper cars to do any long distances in.

Getz : It is a good car, somewhat underrated because it was quite expensive to buy when it was launched and the market was essentially used to Korean cars being cheap and crap, this one wasn't cheap and crap. Fuel consumption can be a bit high and refinement wasn't quite there yet but still a good car.

Yaris : 1.0l in that model of Yaris isn't sufficient. It is a good car and for the most part very well built but a 1.0l engine in it isn't ideal as the body is too heavy for that engine capacity. They do command a premium due to the reputation for durability and reliability without being dreary. Buy one? It isn't a no-go as long as you understand it that as a 1.0l car it isn't going to be the most powerful thing in the world and you will need to downshift regularly if you are on any kind of hills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)

Buy a car based on condition rather than how little miles it has done. Many times seen cars with seemingly low miles that wasn't exactly in that great a condition and did give the vibe that it had been poorly maintained.

Clio : Too many electrical gremlins, best to not bother with one unless you know how to deal with it. Personally I think its best not to buy any old French cars as many of the sensors tend to go and aren't cheap to replace especially if it is anything to do with the emissions.

Polo : Depends, 1.2 12v models are decent cars, early model 1.4FSI ones are best stayed far away from. Usually a bit overpriced for what it is, might as well buy a Skoda Fabia or a Seat Ibiza of the same vintage and have some money left over for your first road trip

KA : Generally not worth buying unless it is a sub £1k car and hasn't started rusting away. The VW Lupo and Seat Arosa are way better cars.

Alto : They are decent cars and as a first car it isn't bad, reliable but not that refined or comfortable for long trips. The Swift is a way better car if your budget could stretch to one. The Kia Picanto and Daihatsu Sirion are better cheaper cars to do any long distances in.

Getz : It is a good car, somewhat underrated because it was quite expensive to buy when it was launched and the market was essentially used to Korean cars being cheap and crap, this one wasn't cheap and crap. Fuel consumption can be a bit high and refinement wasn't quite there yet but still a good car.

Yaris : 1.0l in that model of Yaris isn't sufficient. It is a good car and for the most part very well built but a 1.0l engine in it isn't ideal as the body is too heavy for that engine capacity. They do command a premium due to the reputation for durability and reliability without being dreary. Buy one? It isn't a no-go as long as you understand it that as a 1.0l car it isn't going to be the most powerful thing in the world and you will need to downshift regularly if you are on any kind of hills.
    Thanks for the input, I'm curious to know what exact car you would recommend? and sorry to be such a newb how would you check the condition of the car?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the input, I'm curious to know what exact car you would recommend? and sorry to be such a newb how would you check the condition of the car?
    Recommendation :-

This shape Suzuki Swift.
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...iles?logcode=p

Hyundai Getz.

04 onwards Fiat Panda 1.2

Decent first cars and fairly easy to drive. Generally not expensive to insure especially the Fiat and cheap to fix if anything goes amiss.

As for how to check a car. Look up on Youtube there are quite a few good videos on how to go about doing it though mostly made by Americans however it isn't an inaccurate way to assess a car.

Also if you don't know much about cars best to bring someone with you who does.

Here is one of the good videos to watch :-

Watch all the episodes to get an idea

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.