This discussion is closed.
Procrastin8R
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by fnatic NateDestiel)
china>south korea> finland> rest.

I hate Gove, in the US though there are sooooooooo many exams to take - AP/SAT/ACT/SAT2/PSAT/NSMQ/GPA etc.

No Gove is horrible and has wrecked a decent system as of before.
As mentioned before, you don't need to take AP nor PSAT and NMSQT, while GPA is not an actual exam. The only ones actually required is one of SAT/ACT and sometimes SAT IIs, which isn't that hard at all compared to the three or four A-Levels people typically take (which are known to be more challenging than American exams).

And for academic difficulty, it has to be one of the East Asian countries - probably China, where they have fierce competition for university places, little time for extra-curricular activities and their exams crammed into just a few days.
ikaavidatul
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, In Indonesia we have some mid-term, quarter semester exam, national exam.And, In Indonesia, we should study from pre-school(just a little. I don't take pre-school though), 2 years of kindergarten, 6 years of elementary school, 3 years of middle school, 3 years of high school.Since Elementary school, we should take an exam after finishing a chapter. Then, take a quarter exam, mid term exam, and class promotion exam, every year. And in the 6th years, take a national exam.After that, we should take another 3 years of hell in middle school. Take some ****-with-another difficulties exam again, The another year in high school. Plus, Almost everyday since Elementary school, our parents take us to a courses after school or after take an evening praying of maghrib. Then, they told us to study more after the courses.They would be mad if our score are getting worse. Some crazy parents in my hometown, send their sons to 'pondok pesantren'. Thinking that their children are stupid because of less in religion.And, for the girls, if the parents were so depressed with their own daughter, they will make her married. Because their daughter can't take an University education.
ikaavidatul
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, In Indonesia we have some mid-term, quarter semester exam, national exam. And, In Indonesia, we should study from pre-school(just a little. I don't take pre-school though), 2 years of kindergarten, 6 years of elementary school, 3 years of middle school, 3 years of high school. Since Elementary school, we should take an exam after finishing a chapter. Then, take a quarter exam, mid term exam, and class promotion exam, every year. And in the 6th years, take a national exam. After that, we should take another 3 years of hell in middle school. Take some ****-with-another difficulties exam again, The another year in high school. Plus, Almost everyday since Elementary school, our parents take us to a courses after school or after take an evening praying of maghrib. Then, they told us to study more after the courses. They would be mad if our score are getting worse. Some crazy parents in my hometown, send their sons to 'pondok pesantren'. Thinking that their children are stupid because of less in religion. And, for the girls, if the parents were so depressed with their own daughter, they will make her married. Because their daughter can't take an University education.
Lakshan1981
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Sri Lanka, its A/L s are very tough
makskwap
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
A levels are ****ing easy as ****.
Hades god
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I think that Nepal has the toughest yet best studies in the world.. If someone studies in Nepal and if he goes in other country like india to study he would play with subjects
Dheorl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
How do you measure how hard an education system is?

People are taught to pass the system they're in, so a comparison between systems seems kinda futile. Sure, there's rankings as to which education is best based on a number of criteria, but that doesn't make it the hardest. I guess you could base it on which system was most competitive, so just look at uni acceptance rates by country and there's you answer.
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I would wager France rates up there, if you include the CPGEs (prépas). The little I've heard of the Japanese system makes it sound extremely difficult, particularly as it seems if you don't end up on the right "track" very young it can limit your options a lot - beside the fact they seem to have much longer and more intensive school years (also all the cram schools).

Otherwise I can't say I'm really that familiar with other systems, excepting the US and UK of course (the US being just...lol...and the UK we're all familiar with).
genius92
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Kenya, there so many exams and unnecessary subjects. worse still, there are no jobs for those who graduate. Pathetic!
Rishabh coc
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Right ht there india
RoxxDavv
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Certainly not the UK, GCSE's are stupidly easy. I'd guess Singapore, Hong Kong or South Korea.
Lol at you idiots saying GCSEs are easy, my friend got Us in every single 1 but then she had health problems too.
dannythegameboy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
See schooling in UK and USA are really easy becuase what you in UK and USA study in your 9th grade we study that in 5th grade . So our education is way more harder btw im from pakistan and we and India have almost the same difficulty education system . CHINA , KOREA , PAKISTAN , INDIA , JAPAN , these countries have schooling almost three times as tough as in US and UK , believe me i have cousins their and ive studied their books , easy af . And the amount of preaasure here on the career is also way more in education so be happy for what you have its nothing compared to our suffering , if anyone from UK or US wants to switch places I'd be glad to do that ASAP
ireneTM88_01
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I live in Spain and go to an English shcool so I'm currently taking 5 A Levels and 2 more subjects in Spanish. Personally I find this mixture really hard. I think in the UK you only need 3 Alevels but because my school is in Spain I have to take 4 (5 just in case) and two more subjects in Spainsh in order to be accepted to Uni.
WhiteBunny
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I feel that is Singapore .

Our math and sciences are really difficult and our performance is the top in the world ( please correct me if I am wrong , I am not too sure ) and in Singapore , parents start sending their kids to numerous tuition classes at a young age just to prepare them for exams . The amount of stress a kid has to go through is indescribable !

And if I am not wrong , our country is the only country in the world that have this ‘bell curve’ system . Which means that let say the marks to get an A for a paper is 75 , however because due to many students scored perhaps 100 , full marks or the paper is really easy , the marks to get an A will be pulled up to perhaps 85 or even 90 . Likewise if many students did badly or the paper is really difficult , the marks to get an A will be lower than 75 .

It will moderate the bench marks according to students performance and the difficulty of the paper of the year . Hence .... for example it’s really difficult to do well , especially for math in o levels . There are top students who scored 90 and above and some even full marks ( since math is like the only subject you can score full marks ) for math and hence one might think that 50 is still the passing mark but sadly it’s not , maybe below 60 or 65 you are getting a fail grade .

We also have a ‘ primary school leaving exam’( known as PSLE in short ) which students take it at 12 years old . This exam really puts lots of stress to the child as it certainly determine their future education . You will be separate into three streams according to your exam results , namely the Express , Normal academic and Normal technical . Students who do really well for PSLE are allowed to be in the integrated programme which allows them to by-pass the o levels exam .

The express students will complete 4 years in secondary school ( age 16 : GCE-o levels ) and they will choose to go to a 2 year junior college which eventually led them to take the A levels or a 3 years polytechnic which get them a diploma .
For the Normal academic and Normal technical students , I am not really familiar with their education route but from what I heard from my friends is that they take more time to complete their studies .

Personally I feel that it’s really scary to put a 12 year old through an exam that determine their future . And I feel that China , Japan and South Korea have difficult education system too .
NonIndigenous
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If there is no official ranking... then you might be better off looking at literacy and numeracy rates across various countries, then looking at IQ averages across those countries... and drawing whatever correlations there might be.

I imagine a country with low IQ... that somehow manages to pump out higher literacy and numeracy rates than countries in similar positions... will have quite a challenging education system.

Just a theory. I've no idea how reliable or not this may be. It could be crap, or not. I only just stumbled on the idea.
Indian4560
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Indian Education system is certainly the hardest.First: You get so many assignments to complete as your homework which makes it harder to focus on extra-curricular activities.Second: Our country just runs after the subjective skills that human values and practicals are less visible hereThird:Those unit tests and monthly tests which are the worst.I just completed my grade 10 nd a new law was enforced in which the students were required to study the whole book for the finals or boards nd not just for grade 10 but for every grade from grade 5.I remember mugging up those 22 chapters for my Social science examination.Although the law has now been abolished as it lasted just for 1 year but we who were the victims of this law were actually helpless .Fourth: There is so much family pressure associated with exams as most of the parents expect 90 % above marks from their children which is extremely difficult with this kind of education system.
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by WhiteBunny)
I feel that is Singapore .

Our math and sciences are really difficult and our performance is the top in the world ( please correct me if I am wrong , I am not too sure ) and in Singapore , parents start sending their kids to numerous tuition classes at a young age just to prepare them for exams . The amount of stress a kid has to go through is indescribable !

And if I am not wrong , our country is the only country in the world that have this ‘bell curve’ system . Which means that let say the marks to get an A for a paper is 75 , however because due to many students scored perhaps 100 , full marks or the paper is really easy , the marks to get an A will be pulled up to perhaps 85 or even 90 . Likewise if many students did badly or the paper is really difficult , the marks to get an A will be lower than 75 .

It will moderate the bench marks according to students performance and the difficulty of the paper of the year . Hence .... for example it’s really difficult to do well , especially for math in o levels . There are top students who scored 90 and above and some even full marks ( since math is like the only subject you can score full marks ) for math and hence one might think that 50 is still the passing mark but sadly it’s not , maybe below 60 or 65 you are getting a fail grade .

We also have a ‘ primary school leaving exam’( known as PSLE in short ) which students take it at 12 years old . This exam really puts lots of stress to the child as it certainly determine their future education . You will be separate into three streams according to your exam results , namely the Express , Normal academic and Normal technical . Students who do really well for PSLE are allowed to be in the integrated programme which allows them to by-pass the o levels exam .

The express students will complete 4 years in secondary school ( age 16 : GCE-o levels ) and they will choose to go to a 2 year junior college which eventually led them to take the A levels or a 3 years polytechnic which get them a diploma .
For the Normal academic and Normal technical students , I am not really familiar with their education route but from what I heard from my friends is that they take more time to complete their studies .

Personally I feel that it’s really scary to put a 12 year old through an exam that determine their future . And I feel that China , Japan and South Korea have difficult education system too .
UK exam boards also manipulate grade boundaries after marking to fit the normal distribution curve.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
WhiteBunny
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by BTAnonymous)
UK exam boards also manipulate grade boundaries after marking to fit the normal distribution curve.
Oh , I see . I don’t really like it though haha
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by WhiteBunny)
Oh , I see . I don’t really like it though haha
yeah, it can quite a pain sometimes because it's so inconsistent
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
shirsendu
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
India has the hardest education system in the whole world. The checking process in India is extremely strict. I challenge everyone here to just pass in any of the exams in India. And due to this hard education system, India has produced many great scholars, scientist, philosopher, etc. I'm proud to be an Indian. If anyone here doesn't, believe me, he or she can download and try to solve Indian test papers. -JAI HIND
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (105)
19.48%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
41.19%
Nope, not that interesting (212)
39.33%

Watched Threads