Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm a chronic worrier and always have been, so I'm not sure if I'm getting flustered over nothing here and hope someone can help me.

Whilst doing my masters I did two subjects that had elements of overlap. For Module A, I did an essay which focussed on a particular issue and for Module B I answered an exam question which also broadly dealt with the same issue. I used to similar ideas and themes in both but obviously catered my response to the individual modules and the questions being asked.

One of my tutors had previously mentioned that overlap was only an issue in the module itself; ie, doing an essay question on Topic A and then doing an exam question on Topic A within the same module. However, I recently found out about self-plagiarism and was wondering if this was something I should be worried about?

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to help!

ReputationRep:
    Self plagiarism is when you recycle material from one assessment (ie essay) and reuse it in another. So long as you don't do that, you won't self plagiarise.

FWIW I wrote my dissertation and one of my final semester essays on very similar topics and many of the sources were the same, but I wasn't done for self plagiarism because I didn't start copying and pasting from one to the other

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Self plagiarism is when you recycle material from one assessment (ie essay) and reuse it in another. So long as you don't do that, you won't self plagiarise.

FWIW I wrote my dissertation and one of my final semester essays on very similar topics and many of the sources were the same, but I wasn't done for self plagiarism because I didn't start copying and pasting from one to the other
    Just as an addendum to this, for future reference OP, there's usually a system in place for you to write and obtain permission to reuse your own work in other projects, so long as there's reasonable justification for doing so. Otherwise, the quoted poster has answered your question.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.