Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a graduate from Keele university who has been looking for jobs in London. I am planning on working just over six months to fund my travels next year. I have a degree in Business Management and Marketing and I am worried it would make my CV looks bad if I were to work do retail, bar work, etc and there aren't many graduate jobs that are short term.

I am worried when I get back that recruiters would look down on my CV due to graduating, working a job with no experience relevant to my preferred carrier path and going off travelling. I plan on going into Marketing and Sales when I return. What would be the best sort of work short term that would give me experience at the same time as making my CV look good?

Many thanks,

Mike

ReputationRep:
    No job is easy and they all have their own individual experiences.
    What would you rather have. No job, no experience and most importantly no money or a job, experience, and money.

ReputationRep:
    Bar and retail work is not 'easy'; what world do you live in? Any employer will value any experience you can gain; don't dismiss these jobs as beneath you. Why do you want to waste time travelling instead of working?

ReputationRep:
    Okay I realise I worded that badly, I understand it isn't easy I have worked in both fields myself but they aren't relevant to my carrier path and employers may look down upon that. Also I wouldn't say it was a waste of time travelling, I'm going to be working the next 45 years there no need to rush into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael Thompson)
    Okay I realise I worded that badly, I understand it isn't easy I have worked in both fields myself but they aren't relevant to my carrier path and employers may look down upon that.
    Employers won't look down on it at all; they will be happy that you gained experience in high pressure environments, in customer facing roles. Do you think they'd rather you sit at home and do nothing?

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it would be better than sitting at home doing nothing. What I was wondering was what other jobs would help my CV progress further than those roles in the field I was hoping to go into.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Groundearth. Wherever you end up working, spin your experience to your advantage. On your CV, put down the skills you developed while working (or just make it up!) that are relevant to your future career. Make it work for you because as you said, short term graduate jobs are limited.

Good luck with the job hunting and have fun travelling

ReputationRep:
    Fairly or not a lot of employers are going to see travelling extensively at that stage in your career as being self indulgent and showing a lack of commitment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.