Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help! Going through Tier 4 Student visa Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all! Im new to this forum and would like some insight about the whole student visa process. I'm an American getting ready to study in Scotland this fall. Tomorrow will be the day to pay off tuitions. Is there anyone that went through and successfully went through their visas? I'm so lost on everything. I could use any advices right now. Here are my concerns..

What documents are needed for the Tier 4 Student visa?
    Obviously my passport and bank statements to prove livings costs.

I have a problem with when I send my transcript to the Home Office as well, because the university that I attended here in the states only gave me a transcript that says, "Issued to Student." They said they will only send a school that I am transferring to by mail. And I know that I need original documents, so I am worried about my transcript since I can only send it the school I'm transferring to.

How long did it take you to get your visa back? I will start my course on September 1st and I heard that it only takes 15 days for American applicants. I just want to be sure if it's true.

Any advices, please! I would appreciate that very much.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NativeGresian)
    Hello all! Im new to this forum and would like some insight about the whole student visa process. I'm an American getting ready to study in Scotland this fall. Tomorrow will be the day to pay off tuitions. Is there anyone that went through and successfully went through their visas? I'm so lost on everything. I could use any advices right now. Here are my concerns..

What documents are needed for the Tier 4 Student visa?
    Obviously my passport and bank statements to prove livings costs.

I have a problem with when I send my transcript to the Home Office as well, because the university that I attended here in the states only gave me a transcript that says, "Issued to Student." They said they will only send a school that I am transferring to by mail. And I know that I need original documents, so I am worried about my transcript since I can only send it the school I'm transferring to.

How long did it take you to get your visa back? I will start my course on September 1st and I heard that it only takes 15 days for American applicants. I just want to be sure if it's true.

Any advices, please! I would appreciate that very much.
    Hi, which university are you going to? I would suggest contacting their international office, I'm sure they will be more than willing/able to help. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    You can find answers on UK gov website, it`s more accurate than any info you will find here.
    You`ll need bank statement, showing you have enough money for living costs and tuition fees, your grade certificate (not sure how this goes for US students), current and all previous passports, VAF 9 (application made online and then printed) and apprendix 8 (printed and filled manually).

St.Andrews, I bet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anthemofjo)
    You can find answers on UK gov website, it`s more accurate than any info you will find here.
    You`ll need bank statement, showing you have enough money for living costs and tuition fees, your grade certificate (not sure how this goes for US students), current and all previous passports, VAF 9 (application made online and then printed) and apprendix 8 (printed and filled manually).

St.Andrews, I bet

I have read the site multiple times and I'm still just a bit worried is all. Just wanted to hear other's stories on how their visa experiences were like. What about university transcripts? Previously, I was studying at a university over here in America, but now traveling to Scotland. The university only gave me my transcript on security paper and it does show all past grades. (Also, I will send my high school diploma.) But yes, they sent me my transcript, but says, "Issued to Student." So I don't know if I can use that transcript. It's all confusing with so many papers to deal with My course starts on September 1st, and I need to send out everything at the end of this week. I was going to St. Andrews, but I will be attending at Inverness college since it is closer to where my boyfriend lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NativeGresian)
    I have read the site multiple times and I'm still just a bit worried is all. Just wanted to hear other's stories on how their visa experiences were like. What about university transcripts? Previously, I was studying at a university over here in America, but now traveling to Scotland. The university only gave me my transcript on security paper and it does show all past grades. (Also, I will send my high school diploma.) But yes, they sent me my transcript, but says, "Issued to Student." So I don't know if I can use that transcript. It's all confusing with so many papers to deal with My course starts on September 1st, and I need to send out everything at the end of this week. I was going to St. Andrews, but I will be attending at Inverness college since it is closer to where my boyfriend lives.
    Well, I`ll share my story, although I`m not sure it will mean much to you, your situation is a bit different - but it may help someone else.
    First and foremost, you get your CAS from the university. All of the papers you`ll need to submit alongside your application are listed on you CAS. Then, you go to visa4uk website and register there: then you fill in the application (I recon you need about an hour to fill it),and be very cautious not to make a mistake. (note : some universities have YT tutorials on how to reply on application questions, you can look it up)
    Then you print your application, it has about 10 pages overall.
    Then you fill manually apprendix 8 (has about 8 pages or so).

+ present and previous passports + bank statement (read the instructions of what it should contain very carefully)+ the documents mentioned on your CAS (those used for your acceptance at university).
    After clicking ,,submit,, your application they`ll ask you to book an apointment where you`ll give all the aforementioned papers and where your biometrics will be taken.
    Then you wait. It should not take too long.
    Please note that I applied from an European country, so the process might be a bit different for you.
    If there`s anything else you need help with, feel free to ask

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.