Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my friends and I are going for the whole month of August. This is a rough route we were thinking of following:
    Amsterdam
    Berlin
    Prague
    Budapest
    somewhere in Croatia
    Bled
    Venice
    Florence
    Rome
    Bern
    Munich
    Amsterdam
    if this is too many places, what would you recommend to leave out? Also, how far in advance do trains needs to be booked? We have spent £100 on flights, £350 on ticket and we were thinking about £1300 for taking. When should we book hostels? We were hoping we could be quite spontaneous with where we go but we can't do that if we have to book everything in advance.We're all 17 but there's six of us so we feel pretty safe. Does this sound okay or would you recommend doing things differently?
    Also, how far in advance does accommodation have to be booked for most places? Should we book now or do most youth hostels not require booking? Hostels in Amsterdam are SO expensive 
    Any tips would be gladly appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ( this was written on an iPad on low brightness to avoid waking the sleeping 40 yard old Italian guy above me, so sorry for any spelling mistakes)

Hi, I'm currently interrailing so I can answer a few of these questions

Firstly, for just a month that's way to many places Ive had to cut down from 10 in a month to 7 because there is just no way of getting a feel for a place, if you plan on doing so many places you will be spending 1/2 of your times on trains, but ultimately it's up to you...i would say maybe miss out 1 or 2 of them places in Italy and probably Munich.

I'd say go to bled definitely it's a change of environment and it's really nice, Slovenia is great in general.

With regards to reservations, it's different I have only booked reservations in France and Italy so far so that's all I can help you with, for the ones you have to book at the station, to ensure a seat I would say book as early as possible, I have come unstuck having turned up in some god forsaken French town hoping to just walk onto a high speed train to Milan, only for the women to to tell me no more reservations left.

Your budget is similar to mine I'm doing 27 days on 1150, trust me it goes quickly, just eating is a lot and then you have to factor in drink (insanely expensive in Western Europe), City charges, metro fares, train reservations etc...

My rule for accommodation is no less than 2 days before otherwise what you will get for your price range will be the **** no one else wanted, that said I'm sure you can find nice places just turning up but when looking at sites like booking.com, it's slim pickings on such short notice.

I hope this was helpful, message me if you have any more questions!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.