Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help, paying deposit to previous tenant? Help Please, AM I BEING RIPPED OFF?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Now this is a serious question. I'm currently looking for work in London and need to find accomodation there.

I have found a great room in a flat-share with masters students/phd students and they all seem trustworty.
    But

there is a 800-900 pound security deposit that this girl who is leaving is asking me for. I am taking her room. She says there is paperwork ect, but normally a deposit is protected in a deposit protection scheme. Is there anything that caters for this scenario in paper?

Should I be worried here, as they all seem great but it is so dodgy paying my security deposit to a tenant that is leaving.....WHen I leave the place what if i cannot get the next tenant moving in to pay me the security deposit.

ANy advice greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    This is highly irregular. Do not do it.

ReputationRep:
    Do not do this.

ReputationRep:
    You don't pay other tenants anything. The security deposit is normally around £300 and will be payed to the landlord or their agent. Talk to the landlord or their agent about this issue. She sounds like she is just trying to get some free money of you. Other tenants are not responsible for security deposits.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.