Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Opinions on this KA Watch

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about purchasing this and just wanted to make sure that everything seems tip top!:cool:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...s?logcode=visc

ReputationRep:
    Do you know anyone mechanical to come with you? Check under the bonnet, check for rust. Check the service history as the mileage should be on there at the time of the service, to see if it's genuine. By the looks of it, it's very nice and would be a great car, low mileage. Check the cambelts condition too.

Ask to see how much tax there is on the car. If the car has no tax it's a perfect opportunity to haggle!

ReputationRep:
    Well it has 12 months' MOT which is good, and has also been serviced so that's also good - but get an experienced friend to have a look when you go and see it.
    I have a Ford KA as well

ReputationRep:
    Oh and I agree on the tax! check that - and haggle if its about to expire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom26070)
    Do you know anyone mechanical to come with you? Check under the bonnet, check for rust. Check the service history as the mileage should be on there at the time of the service, to see if it's genuine. By the looks of it, it's very nice and would be a great car, low mileage. Check the cambelts condition too.

Ask to see how much tax there is on the car. If the car has no tax it's a perfect opportunity to haggle!
    I thought it looked good from a broad perspective!

My dad will probably come with me to have a look at it. Also, it has done 41,000 miles and was serviced at 39,000 which can only be good?

ReputationRep:
    £1400 on a Ford KA >.> ?

My friend has an 05 one and it doesn't even have central locking (you have to manually lock the passenger door separately) and failed it's MOT due to rust. On an 05 car!!
    It's an old car underneath I wouldn't bother with it.

You should be able to get a half decent Fiesta for that price.

Much nicer car http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi.../100?logcode=p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    £1400 on a Ford KA >.> ?

My friend has an 05 one and it doesn't even have central locking (you have to manually lock the passenger door separately) and failed it's MOT due to rust. On an 05 car!!
    It's an old car underneath I wouldn't bother with it.

You should be able to get a half decent Fiesta for that price.

Much nicer car http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi.../100?logcode=p

90,000 miles though with an annual tax renewal of £180. Hmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh_Bowskill)
    Thinking about purchasing this and just wanted to make sure that everything seems tip top!:cool:

Dont bother with a ford KA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Dont bother with a ford KA
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    They're s***.

A number of better cars (imo) that you can get for under 1,400, probably more expensive on tax/insurance but; Clio, Corsa, Fiesta, Golf, Polo, 206 etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Only worth buying if they are going for cheap. £1400 for one of it isn't cheap especially for one that old. These cars are only worth buying if they are sub-£1k cars especially if it is more than 10 years of age.

Personally for that kind of money and if you must have such a small tiny car then you're better off in a VW Lupo or Seat Arosa.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it looked good from a broad perspective!

My dad will probably come with me to have a look at it. Also, it has done 41,000 miles and was serviced at 39,000 which can only be good?
    I take it your Dad knows a bit about cars? It sounds good and most probably is, but do check for rust all over the car including under the car. Don't be embarrassed to lay on the floor to look under the car (especially), it will be worth it in the end.

The service at 39K is good and at a price like that the dealership are confident it's a good car, but do check the car thoroughly, it's your money and maybe your car so take your time. Don't let the dealerships gift of the gab make you feel under pressure. Also ask if you or your Dad could take it for a test drive.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    90,000 miles though with an annual tax renewal of £180. Hmmmmm
    Buy on condition not age. My Nissan Micra had 153000 miles on it and looked and felt like it had barely done 30000. My BMW has 155000 on it and still feels great to drive.

I've seen KAs completely worn out at 30000 miles. They were built very cheaply

£180 a year? Big whoop it's only £35 a year more than the Ka and the Fiesta gets about the same MPG as the the Ka and is quicker. You don't even get electric windows with the KA

ReputationRep:
    Looks like a very tidy example.

They do like to corrode - take a blanket to lay on and an inspection lamp and have a good look at the sills.
    It's a very simple car mechanically so you'll likely not have any problems there.

If you do decide to go for it, it'd be a good idea to get it undersealed and have the sills injected with waxoil.

These minty early KA's WILL go up in value at some point. Look at what's happening this year with mk1 fiesta prices. Their time will come as with all old fords.

If it's what you want then go for it. Although, I would stress that it is priced very high in the current market. The last KA I had was an 02 plate with similar miles and spec. I sold it for £100 more than the asking price on this car... but that was 5 years ago! In short - you need good negotiating skills!

***edit*** having had a look on autotrader, if a silly low miles KA is your thing there's actually quite a few cars out there with a lot less on the clock for the same or less money. Careful.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice all!

I'm looking for a car within 30 miles of Shefford and that's done under 70,000 miles (preferably about £1750)

ReputationRep:
    Buy on condition not millage.

also check Gumtree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    I've seen KAs completely worn out at 30000 miles. They were built very cheaply
    What?? There must be more to the story to it or was it this guy's car? :-

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2725478

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    What?? There must be more to the story to it or was it this guy's car? :-

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2725478

previous owener was an old woman who had like never got it serviced. was a 1996 car as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Looks like a very tidy example.

They do like to corrode - take a blanket to lay on and an inspection lamp and have a good look at the sills.
    It's a very simple car mechanically so you'll likely not have any problems there.

If you do decide to go for it, it'd be a good idea to get it undersealed and have the sills injected with waxoil.

These minty early KA's WILL go up in value at some point. Look at what's happening this year with mk1 fiesta prices. Their time will come as with all old fords.

If it's what you want then go for it. Although, I would stress that it is priced very high in the current market. The last KA I had was an 02 plate with similar miles and spec. I sold it for £100 more than the asking price on this car... but that was 5 years ago! In short - you need good negotiating skills!

***edit*** having had a look on autotrader, if a silly low miles KA is your thing there's actually quite a few cars out there with a lot less on the clock for the same or less money. Careful.
    Maybe in 30 years...

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with Ford Ka.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.