Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Access Course Pre Entry Numeracy and Literacy Tests Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

After being out of education for almost 6 years now, I've decided to follow my dreams and study an access to higher education course!

I have an interview at the college this Friday, and on the letter it states that there will be a numeracy and literacy test alongside the interview.

I'm just wondering what kind of difficulty these tests are likely to be and what kind of things I should perhaps revise?

I managed to get a B in GCSE Maths, and an A in GCSE English, but this was so long ago I'm worried I will have forgotten so much!

Has anyone recently been on an access course interview, or have any idea what type of questions are likely to be asked?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Martin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martin6)
    Hello everyone

After being out of education for almost 6 years now, I've decided to follow my dreams and study an access to higher education course!

I have an interview at the college this Friday, and on the letter it states that there will be a numeracy and literacy test alongside the interview.

I'm just wondering what kind of difficulty these tests are likely to be and what kind of things I should perhaps revise?

I managed to get a B in GCSE Maths, and an A in GCSE English, but this was so long ago I'm worried I will have forgotten so much!

Has anyone recently been on an access course interview, or have any idea what type of questions are likely to be asked?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Martin
    Hey Martin,

Are you a mature student?

I've put this in the mature students forum as I think you're more likely to get responses.

ReputationRep:
    The tests are usually GCSE level. You should find the English a doddle. As you have only a few days, I would recommend using the BBC GCSE Bitesize website to brush up on your maths. The questions on my Access test equated to foundation level GCSE (i.e. no trig or algebra) but this may vary from college to college. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I just saw the date you posted this - was it last Friday?

ReputationRep:
    How did it go Martin? I did mine a few months ago and I was so nervous, but it was alot easier than I was expecting

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys

Had my interview last Friday and was offered a place!

The Maths and English Tests were a lot easier than I expected (although the Maths one started getting tricky towards the end! :P), but she said I was comfortably at Level 2 for both of them!

A miracle considering its been a while since I did my GCSE's!

ReputationRep:
    That's great that you have a place! What are you hoping to study at uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well done. What pathway/degree are you going to do?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.